_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Roden: Holt 75 Tractor
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 - 04:26 PM UTC

Roden shares images of its kit sprues.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 - 05:50 PM UTC
Yes, yes, yes !!
:)
/ Robin
TheoBraat
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 - 08:52 PM UTC
I concur
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 07:58 AM UTC
Very happy!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 08:01 AM UTC
While this model is for 1/35 military modelers, it can also convincingly fit into model railroading No. 1 Gauge (1/32) scenes.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 10:11 AM UTC
Is nice, but where is the injection molded 1/35 WWI artillery to be towed by it? Hopefully Roden is working on that too, or any other manufacturer for that matter.
VR, Russ
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 02:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is nice, but where is the injection molded 1/35 WWI artillery to be towed by it? Hopefully Roden is working on that too, or any other manufacturer for that matter.
VR, Russ

A WWII version has been announced by Thunder Models and this News flash hints at a WW I version being in the works:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/28249

/ Robin
JavierDeLuelmo
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 03:11 PM UTC
We'll need some wagons too...

tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 06:24 PM UTC
UPDATE: Added the image of the decal sheet.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 09:17 AM UTC
Yes, another tractor in plastic.

simonking
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 10:12 AM UTC
Roden should be ashamed of themselves for issuing this kit in the state that it is. It is badly moulded with horrendous sink marks, particularly in the corrugated roof - all the way along the top from one end to the other.

The two piece turntable for the front wheel just doesn’t fit together at all. The track rollers and wheels are full of large sink holes and virtually every piece is either flashed and or mismatching halves requiring considerable clean up.

Significant replacement of kit parts by scratch built alternatives is required - as is additional detailing to replace detail lost when parts are stuck together - to turn this model into anything remotely satisfactory.

Great subject but very poor execution. Caveat emptor
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Roden should be ashamed of themselves for issuing this kit in the state that it is. It is badly moulded with horrendous sink marks, particularly in the corrugated roof - all the way along the top from one end to the other.

The two piece turntable for the front wheel just doesn’t fit together at all. The track rollers and wheels are full of large sink holes and virtually every piece is either flashed and or mismatching halves requiring considerable clean up.

Significant replacement of kit parts by scratch built alternatives is required - as is additional detailing to replace detail lost when parts are stuck together - to turn this model into anything remotely satisfactory.

Great subject but very poor execution. Caveat emptor

First, don’t get me wrong, but the kit sprue shots don’t show any of the problems you’re having (not that they’d show fit problems). The sprue shots look pretty clean to me. However, knowing my own experience with Roden kits over the last 12 years or so, is it possible you have a kit that is defective? I have built several of their 1/32 aircraft (12 in the last ten years) and all three of their Rolls Royce armored cars, along with several 1/144 kits. I’ve found the “quality” of Roden moldings can vary from one kit to another— I’ll use their 1/32 Nieuport 28 and their Sopwith Triplane as examples— the first Nieuport I built was a pleasure, simple, everything fit, right out of the box. The second had a short-shot cowling, and a wicked warp in the top wing, both of which were hard to correct. My first Triplane had hundreds of “pinholes” in the upper and lower wings, and there were some fit issues (probably caused by warping when removing hot plastic from the molds) other than that, it was Ok. But my second Triplane (I built more than one because I was building for commission at the time) had none of the issues of the first. I had similar small detail issues between the armored cars, which are supposedly from the same molds, and thier 1/144 aircraft never seem to fit together correctly without work. I’ve also noted differences in Roden quality between the Squadron “Encore” boxings and the stock Roden boxings of the same kit. I think this is because QC is not a top concern at Roden, The question I have for you is have you contacted Roden directly to discuss the issues? I have in the past, and they have sent me (although not recently since they changed their location in the Ukraine) entire sprues for replacement. I recommend you talk with them. Also, I’ve come to accept that a Roden kit is more like a “cottage industry” “short” or “limited run” kit, so when I buy their kits, I don’t expect Tamiya, Hasegawa, or WnW quality. They do produce kits in plastic no one else will attempt. Case in point is this tractor. So, I can usually live with the kit if if doesn’t fall together (on the other hand, I also don’t buy some of the kits they produce because I’m not interested in correcting them). When I think of all the Roden kits I’ve built over the years, the Nieuport 28 is the only one ive seen that didnt have at least one major issue in fit).
VR, Russ
simonking
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 09:54 PM UTC
You can easily see that long sink line along the centre line of the corrugated roof. It is meant to be a single curved piece......

You would have thought that they would at least have tried to find an example without the sink marks for the press shots, so it seems they’re not really concerned about the rubbish they’re churning out.

RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 10:41 PM UTC
I don't think it is a sink line. It looks too regular.
Looks like they have made a mistake.
Should be possible to fix.
/ Robin
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2018 - 03:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can easily see that long sink line along the centre line of the corrugated roof. It is meant to be a single curved piece......

You would have thought that they would at least have tried to find an example without the sink marks for the press shots, so it seems they’re not really concerned about the rubbish they’re churning out.

Yes, I see what you are talking about. I can't tell from the sprue shots, but I suspect this is because Roden chose to cast a central roof support. I've seen a real Holt (re-conditioned) with a roof support like that, and an old rusty one with the roof split into halves lengthwise as well (a logging camp model). But I believe (from my model railroading experience with Holt 75s) that the original roof was a one piece affair with either a central support or two parellel supports. The roof should be one piece, or at least have overlapped peices, so there shouldn't be any seam down the middle like that, unless it has been modified. Given the limits of polystyrene casting, I'd think I'd want to replace the roof anyway with either thin sheet brass or aluminum, although Evergreen makes some corrugated styrene material that would work too (but be a little thick perhaps?). Corrugated polystyrene is just harder to get right in any case. Somebody (Small Shop?) makes a form for producing scale thickness corrugations in metal, but I forget who it is now. There used to be at least one model railroad manufacturer that makes corrugated aluminum sheet in HO, O, and G scale which might also be used (Detail Associates perhaps?). You might try the Walthers Catalog.
VR, Russ
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2018 - 04:23 AM UTC
Those long pieces to the left of the roof

have me wondering as to what they could be. They don't have the same shape as the fenders in this image/box-art

For a short time I was thinking that the sprue image showed the underside of the roof and the channel was there to receive the central roof beam but then the hole for the exhaust seems to be on the wrong side.
The thickness of the plastic roof can be hidden with the rolled up curtains. Fixing the ditch in the corrugated roof is doable but it will be a lot of work.

It is still better than scratch building the whole thing ....
/ Robin
simonking
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2018 - 05:07 AM UTC
Those ARE the mudguards. You are expected to fold/bend down the two ends to give the shape shown in the boxart.

This kit will still need a measure of scratchbuilding to make anything decent out of it. First step is to see how small the Archer resin rivets are made. Many are lost as you put the pieces together and try to loose the join seams.

The turntable for the front wheel seems to be the biggest scratchbuilding challenge

sk
simonking
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2018 - 11:53 PM UTC
I have been making models for over 50 years. After a few more hours work on the Holt, I have revised my opinion.

It is absolute tripe and fit fit only for the bin. Nothing fits, everything is covered in flash and the instructions so poor that you can’t tell where pieces should be positioned.

Steer clear of the thing, Run away from it, and don’t look back.

An expensive lesson in avoiding anything and everything that has the Roden name on it in the future.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 03:47 AM UTC
Good advice, but-- I only have one question-- is this your first Roden Kit? I've found their AFVs are usually more challenging than thier aircraft (early issues that is-- their first aircraft kits were real "bears").
VR, Russ
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 04:02 AM UTC
Another setting for the Holt tractor is this one: bringing up ammunition to the English/Australian Army to fight against the combined forces of the Ottoman/Turk/German alliance during the Battle of Be'ersheba, October 1917, on the territory now known as Israel.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 - 02:56 AM UTC
Sooo-- after a long period of looking at this kit, I finally broke down and bought one. It has several issues as mentioned in comments in this review, BUT-- I was able to build and paint mine --mostly out of the box--, in about three weeks working 2-4 hours a day 5 days a week (along with the Roden 8" BL Howitzer). I found correcting the sink marks in the roof was pretty easy. The front wheel was fiddly for sure, and needed a lot of clean up with a scalpel and sanding sticks, the water and fuel tank seams and rivets need some work, but nothing that can't be carefully accomplished. The fit was questionable in a few areas, but nothing that couldn't be overcome. Close attention to the instructions is necessary, and a few good photos of the real thing will certainly help your build. You may want to deviate from the instructions in a few areas and build in sub-assemblies. I was actually impressed with the detail and engineering in several areas of the kit. Sure, it has several "warts" in fit and some parts need to be re-worked with a sharp blade, but I can now say from experience that a modeler with moderate skills can create a nice model from the kit. Just keep your scalpel, sandpaper, sanding sticks, a little putty and some "elbow grease" at hand. Bottom line-- don't fear this kit, if a Holt 75 is something you've been waiting for, and you have the tools and skills at hand-- buy this kit. Rick Taylor and I are working on a joint build article for this kit and the Roden 8" BL Howitzer (which I also just finished) those of you who are interested in WWI Artillery will be glad to know that Roden has filled an open Niche for American (and British) Heavy Artillery quite nicely with these two kits, at a reasonable price.
VR, Russ.
 _GOTOTOP