_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
News
SOL: US Female Tank Gunner
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 - 05:46 PM UTC

Sol Model adds another large scale female figure to its catalog, this time depicting a tank gunner of the US Army.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 01:15 PM UTC
Last I saw was that the US Army had only 2 females in the Rangers, one or two in engineers, and few in Aviation, but NONE in ARMOR, so where did the come from?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 04:25 PM UTC
She must be very very light weight.
Her left leg, the extended one, is not heavy enough to press the trousers against the ground.
Alternative explanation: The trouser legs are stuffed with something to enable them to support the weight of her leg....
Must be a very uncomfortable uniform in that case ...
/ Robin
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 04:59 PM UTC
There are female US Army tankers now as well.

http://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local/boise-woman-becomes-first-female-tank-crew-member-in-us/258244630
https://www.army.mil/article/179006/fort_benning_graduates_first_women_armor_officers
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 05:42 PM UTC
The Swedish armed forces are recruiting.
The recruitment campaign posters are worded as questions with a link to where the answers can be found.
One of those questions goes approximately like this:
"Do you have to be able to do two things at once or can
guys also apply?"

Hmmmm....
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 06:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

She must be very very light weight.
Her left leg, the extended one, is not heavy enough to press the trousers against the ground.
Alternative explanation: The trouser legs are stuffed with something to enable them to support the weight of her leg....
Must be a very uncomfortable uniform in that case ...
/ Robin

Blousing rubbers, blousing straps, even duct tape. Some go crazy with blousing for dog and pony shows. And there is at least one female engineer who drives an AVLB. The news people love any female personnel around armored vehicles. They could just be window dressing for an all male crew or mechanics. The number of female mechanics is growing and these ladies uniforms don't look right for crew uniforms and those CVC helmets are really undersized.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 08:45 PM UTC
Their uniforms are fine for tankers. Tank crews don't always wear NOMEX CVC uniforms.

The helmets look fine too me as well. I am more concerned with the bottom of her boots having no deatils, esp. at 1/16 scale. These would also be nice in 1/35. They could actually be any modern US female Soldier. All you would have to do is add ammo pouches and such to their IOTVs and they would be good.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 08:59 PM UTC
I've noticed no tread on lots of figures' boots. These look especially smooth. There are so many variations these days maybe the sculptor couldn't decide on one texture.

I know this is off topic but are there after-market sources for textured boot soles?
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 09:38 PM UTC
Geez, you guys are focused on the weirdest of details and overlook the freakin' obvious: her entire head looks off! As in "boy that sure is one plastic-looking manikin" off. As in, "boy, do I hope that someone else make alternate heads" off. Sheesh.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Geez, you guys are focused on the weirdest of details and overlook the freakin' obvious: her entire head looks off! As in "boy that sure is one plastic-looking manikin" off. As in, "boy, do I hope that someone else make alternate heads" off. Sheesh.

99% of that is the painting and pose and the extra long neck. It looks like a mannequin because it was painted like one. Move an eyebrow, skew the eyes and tweak the mouth and it'll be much more real. I work with that a lot in my comics.

I would also lower the neck a little as it looks like one of those Photoshopped extra long necks one sees in fashion and advertising.

tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

99% of that is the painting and pose and the extra long neck. It looks like a mannequin because it was painted like one. Move an eyebrow, skew the eyes and tweak the mouth and it'll be much more real. I work with that a lot in my comics.

I would also lower the neck a little as it looks like one of those Photoshopped extra long necks one sees in fashion and advertising.
W

Agree. How it ends up depends on the painter's skills.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 05:07 AM UTC
Female loader during training here...

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 10:30 AM UTC
I STAND CORRECTED! Thanks for correcting me on the issue of females being tankers.
 _GOTOTOP