_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M36 Jackson TD
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 02:41 AM UTC
I want to build the M36 for my wife's dad, and her maiden name is Jackson. I am looking at the Academy 1/35 version and would appreciate any tips, or pros and cons on the build.

Reb

DarthLetcherous
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 03:48 AM UTC
Depending on your level of expertise and their level of interaction with the subject, OTB Academy or Tamiya will achieve your needs. Ease of build is up in the air but they both have pros and cons. You should enjoy the build and their delight at presentation.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 03:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I want to build the M36 for my wife's dad, and her maiden name is Jackson. I am looking at the Academy 1/35 version and would appreciate any tips, or pros and cons on the build.

Reb

The reissued Academy M36 kit has the corrected upper hull from the M10 kit, so it's more accurate. I doubt they would notice, but the ammo staorage in the sponsons should be bare 90mm shells, not 3-inch shells in cardboard packing tubes, a detail left over from the M10. That said, it's barely noticeable.

And of course, not to put too fine a point on it, but the M36 was only called the Jackson in the minds of Tamiya's marketing department--but don't tell your in-laws!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 03:59 AM UTC
There is no 1/35 Tamiya M36 really. What Tamiya labels an M36 is an ancient motorized kit that is actually in 1/32.

There is an all new Tamiya M10 though.

The Academy kit would be my first choice but I would recommend looking at all the pertinent reviews over on the Perth military modelling site. Really complete reviews of the M36 kits with all the details you're probably seeking.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 04:03 AM UTC
I built one, with Eduard's beautiful interior(proud owner of this now rare fret) and exterior etch. The instructions are well laid out. One quirk is the inclusion of a hull-mounted mg. I have only been able to locate one photo of this. Leave it off. Decide which version you want to build, first. Fit is good, as is quality. I really enjoyed it. Best I remember, then barrel is a single piece affair, with separate muzzle brake(s). I think I replaced it, anyway. The tracks are rubber. I replaced these, with some by Bronco. It could use a little more cast texture. How you go about this is up to you. I used Mr. Surfacer 500 stippelled on, with an old brush. I can't recall much else.
DarthLetcherous
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 04:14 AM UTC
I use to go on Facebook, find a pic of 3 girls and say “ You two girls are beautiful” , sit back and watch the drama just for fun. Now, asking if a bead weld on a panther, Sherman or Abrams should look like dimes or nickels is much more fun. Just saying, Damn we are a fun bunch
gunnerPhil
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 04:40 AM UTC
If you want to really go crazy I highly recommend the Tank Workshop additions/corrections along with the AFV Club M36 plus the Aber PE M-10 sets along with some good references.(I suffer from a severe case of AMS by the way!!!)
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 05:52 AM UTC
You might want to see this. There is some discussion on the M-36 being called 'Jackson' Here is the link

https://archive.kitmaker.net/forums/268622

Cheers
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 06:43 AM UTC
The M36 with the bow machine gun was a variant of the M36B2 used by the South Koreans in the early 1950s. The South Korean markings option is correct for placement of the hull gun and turret roof.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/academy/acd1395.htm

There is a newer version by Academy M36 Battle of the Bulge, which has some of the revised hull pieces from the M10.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 11:56 AM UTC
thanks to all for the information and am glad that it will make my ww2 buff FIL happy, again thanks to all!

Reb

_GOTOTOP