_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Green stuff
slayer
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 05:41 AM UTC
Does anyone have a remedy for cured green stuff. I used green stuff to make a tarp and at the time it looked good but know i want it removed. Is there a solvent or something that i can use to soften the green stuff with out damaging the model. Thanks
DocEvan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 06:58 AM UTC
I think it's too risky to try to remove the tarp. MAYBE small applications of lacquer thinner to allow for judicious removal of small areas, one ata time?

If the tarp itself doesn't look good, perhaps cover it with tissue paper soaked in diluted white glue? This is what I use to cover styrene surfaces when I wish to mimic fabric.

The only other solution might be to use a grinding bit in a Dremel tool.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 09:59 AM UTC
Are you referring to green putty? The kind of stuff Squadron sells? If so, you might try this trick--rinse the model off in cool water, place it in the freezer overnight, then in the morning, use a chisel tip on your Xacto knife to gently pry it up. It should work the same way as popping seams. The water will fill the spaces and as it expands, it should losen the material.
VR, Russ
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 02:57 AM UTC
IF you are talking about the 2 part epoxy "green stuff" then epoxies don't actually stick very well to plastic and you should be able to pry it off without too much trouble. You might lose the paint it's touching, though.

HOWEVER if in forming the tarp you actually mechanically locked in over or around some features on the kit, it will not pry off and you'll have to break off whatever it is locked over to get it off.

As for solvents, epoxies are actually exceptionally resistant to solvents. Anything that would soften the epoxy would utterly dissolve the underlying kit. Epoxies are forever, dude.
 _GOTOTOP