_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1167 in Combat Today
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2018 - 04:36 AM UTC
I am getting ready to start a new project. I hope I have compiled everything I need to build an M1167. I want to build one that could go to war tomorrow... if one were to break out in the Middle East between a major state sponsor of terror and our staunchest ally. I have a few questions.

1. Who uses the M1167? Scout units? CAV units?

2. The M1167 has zero room for crew gear due to the TOW missile system. Where would it all go? I've seen photos of a mixed convoy of M1167s and M1151s. At least one is towing a trailer. Would the crew's gear from multiple vehicles be placed in a single trailer?

3. Would it be appropriate to place a few crates of missiles, packs, sleeping bags and food in a trailer behind an M1167?

4. Does anyone have good photos of the Driver Vision Enhancement system installed on a HMMWV?

If anyone has any input your insight would be appreciated.

Regards,

Eric
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2018 - 08:20 AM UTC
1. Scouts/CAV definitely would use them. Light scouts, not Armored scouts.

2. Gino and the rest of the Vets might have to correct me on this one. When i was in, we had A, B, C bags and even foot lockers. On my last deployment, anything that we didn't need till a couple of weeks after we got in country was packed in our foot lockers and sent ahead of us. A bag would be essential items you need right off the plane and your B bag woudl be the rest of your gear you will need before your foot locker would get to you. So, B bags and other stuff not needed right away could/would go in a 5 ton or some other type of transpo and sent to your final destination.

3.I would say yest to the platoon probably having a trailer and one vehicle is designated to tow it and all the platoons extra gear is in it.

4. I am in the process right now as we speak up adding the DVE to my COMMO slides. I will have it posted in the Maxxpro review build by the end of the weekend. Real easy install, 3 major components and I'm not sure if it's 2 or 3 cables but no more than 3. You have the monitor and its mount with a power cable and video in cable. Next is the camera and traversing mount. The camera has a video out cable and the mount has it's cable. Last is the joystick and I believe that the cable from the joystick is the cable from the traversing mount.
WXerock
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 08:08 AM UTC
Thanks for the great info Pete. Would a platoon consist of four M1167s or a mix of M1167s and M1151s? The picture I have seen shows four trucks with the fourth being an M1151 towing the trailer. I hope showing an M1167 towing one isn't too far outside of the realm of what's possible.

Regards,

Eric
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 10:42 AM UTC
Not outside the realm at all Eric. Equipment gets cross transferred, especially when something is down.

Im not sure if you know or not, but the hatch opens both ways, it opens towards the front and towards the back. opening to the back is for handing another tube to the gunner.

WXerock
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 05:46 PM UTC
Pete, during the field portion of weather school I caught one of the instructors off guard when I opened the rear hatch on their M1025 like that. He though I broke it at first until I showed him it was designed like that to offer the crew some very small amount of ballistic protection during reloads. I did it wrong the first time I tried it and it did fall off onto me as I lay underneath it. Good thing it wasn't an M1151. I imagine their rear hatch weighs quite a bit more! Thanks for the drawings of the M1167 hatch. I'll have to save those.

Regards,

Eric
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 06:54 PM UTC
The personal gear laydown that Pete gave (A & B duffle bags, Rucksack, foot locker, etc.) is correct. One thing to remember though, if you are going to be living on an established FOB, most of that gear stays there and you only bring along a small bag, maybe some MREs and water, and extra ammo when you go out on patrol. If operating out in the badlands for extended periods, the vehicles will be more heavily loaded down. When I was in OIF 1 during the invasion of Iraq, our vehicles looked like the Beverly Hillbillies. They had everything we owned on them. Only our B bags were loaded into containers that came up later, after we were in FOBs in Baghdad.
WXerock
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 08:36 PM UTC
Gino, my concept was for a heavily laden truck that had the TOW system stowed away inside and have every spare inch full of gear. I want it to look like it is moving in a convoy from one place, a FOB maybe, to another. Do you know how many people would be in a TOW truck? Four or five? I want to have enough packs, sleeping bags and duffels for each member, plus extra missiles and small arms ammo, food, water and whatever!

Regards,

Eric
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino, my concept was for a heavily laden truck that had the TOW system stowed away inside and have every spare inch full of gear. I want it to look like it is moving in a convoy from one place, a FOB maybe, to another. Do you know how many people would be in a TOW truck? Four or five? I want to have enough packs, sleeping bags and duffels for each member, plus extra missiles and small arms ammo, food, water and whatever!

Regards,

Eric

I'm not an expert on this particular version but I can't imagine they would have the TOW stowed if they were moving outside the wire. The ones attached to my unit always had the TOW's mounted during field exercises.

If you are modeling a vehicle in a peacetime convoy, that's a different story.
WXerock
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 11:48 PM UTC
John, I guess I shouldn't have said from one FOB to another. I was thinking more like from a rear area to a forward area. A want it to appear that they are moving through an area that is safe but are moving toward trouble. Can anyone tell me in general what types of bags are used as A, B, C bags and what the general dimensions of a footlocker would be? Are footlockers the thin plywood style boxes with metal reinforcing all of the edges? I ask all of this as an Air Force weenie who has never deployed with anything more than an issue duffel. Thanks everyone for your help so far.

Regards,

Eric
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 01:34 AM UTC
If the vehicle is in a combat zone (Iraq or A'stan), the weapons will always be mounted when going outside a FOB. On a FOB, the weapons are mounted as you move from the gate to your area and then can be dismounted and stored in an arms room area. The only "rear area" where you would not mount them is outside the zone, ie: Kuwait.

For bags, A and B bags are standard duffels, C bag is an issue rucksack. The "footlocker"s would be something like a commercial plastic toughbox or pelican case. The wooden ones have been gone for years.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 01:52 AM UTC
Eric,
We had 2 duffel bags, a large ruck sack, a small assault pack, and 2 foot lockers when I got deployed. Gino probably was different if not the same. One foot locker and our C bag(duffel bag) went way before us in a conex.

Here is a generic packing list:

I was issued 2 of these footlockers.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 06:09 PM UTC
Yup, I was issued two of the green boxes like Pete shows on one deployment. On another, the Bn bought us Stanley Jobboxes like below.

I also had a smaller modern, plastic footlocker at times too, like this.

Additionally, from all I can find an M1167 TOW Carrier has a crew of four.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 06:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone have good photos of the Driver Vision Enhancement system installed on a HMMWV?

If this is what you're looking for let me know and I'll email more from my walkaround. I have some of the internals as well.

WXerock
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 08:18 PM UTC
Gino and Pete, thank you for the wealth of information on gear carried. Now I just have to wrap my head around the whole thing and take some notes.

Robert, I have never seen photos of a DVD mounted there. I've only seen photos of one mounted at the top of the windshield frame. I would however greatly appreciate any photos you have. They could come in handy as general reference for this or another build. Have you been able to find a MaxxPro with a TOW turret to photograph yet?

I wish you all well and thank you for the inspiration to keep improving my building skills!

Regards,

Eric
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 - 04:48 AM UTC
If I'm not mistaken, the DVE that Robert is showing is/was one of the first DVE's that we got. The traversing unit was more mechanical than electrical and went out of alignment if you slightly bumped the joystick.
The ones your thinking of Eric are seen more on vehicles and have an electrical traversing unit and less cables.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 - 06:34 AM UTC
That's probably true. The HMMWV photos are at least six or seven years old now.

I just took this one less than three weeks ago:

Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 361 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am getting ready to start a new project. I hope I have compiled everything I need to build an M1167. I want to build one that could go to war tomorrow... if one were to break out in the Middle East between a major state sponsor of terror and our staunchest ally. I have a few questions.

1. Who uses the M1167? Scout units? CAV units?

2. The M1167 has zero room for crew gear due to the TOW missile system. Where would it all go? I've seen photos of a mixed convoy of M1167s and M1151s. At least one is towing a trailer. Would the crew's gear from multiple vehicles be placed in a single trailer?

3. Would it be appropriate to place a few crates of missiles, packs, sleeping bags and food in a trailer behind an M1167?

4. Does anyone have good photos of the Driver Vision Enhancement system installed on a HMMWV?

If anyone has any input your insight would be appreciated.

Regards,

Eric

Eric,

While I can't say how these specific TOW Hummers are configured. However, I do have extensive knowledge of the M966 in a Light Infantry Division.

When we deployed we stored our large LC-1 rucks on the tailgate over the cammo net bags. The TOW was mounted on the turret to include the AN/TAS-4B (Night Sight). That provided open area inside for extra ammo and MRE cases. WE never carried the B-Bags. Those were left back in the FOB. A roll of concertina wire wrapped in sandbags and secured on the hood using the lifting rings to secure it.

Our TOW Platoons were also assigned the Mk-19 mod 3. If our mission called for us to use them as the main weapon system, we'd mount it's pedestal on the turret with the TOW system stored inside. OTherwise the Mk-19 would remain in the FOB
 _GOTOTOP