_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Meng Bradley Tracks Assembly
B2Blain
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2018 - 09:55 AM UTC
Anyone have any tricks to assemble the tracks for Meng's Bradley Fighting Vehicle. Some of the links are loose and slip off. I've tried to squeeze the ends but that doesn't always work. My alternative has been liquid cement but I am concerned that the tracks will not move with the suspension.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2018 - 03:22 PM UTC
I would suggest that you make up your mind about the wanted position for the suspension and then glue the links to the needed position.
Once the "clickable" function of small plastic parts have started to turn loose there is no easy solution to it.
I can see these three options:
1. Glue them together, in the needed/wanted configuration
2. Replace with some kind of aftermarket tracks which use metal pins like the real thing. Friulmodel for instance ..
3. Do it the hard way by drilling out holes in the "hinges" so that you can insert metal pins. It can be done but it is a LOT of tedious fiddly work (foul language and severe profanities are usually a part of this).

Considering the amount of work involved it is probably easier to get an extra job, for instance flipping burgers, to pay for those aftermarket tracks

I have my own opinions about the whole workable track business but I don't want to use that kind of language in a civilized forum like Armorama

/ Robin
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2018 - 05:49 PM UTC
I don't know why you would want to leave them "workable"? I set them how I want them and glue them solid.
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2018 - 09:15 PM UTC
I had alot of "fun" putting those tracks on my Bradley!

Mike
B2Blain
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 05:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions. The painted a primer coach on the tracks and they seem to be holding together. Hopefully they hold together while I paint the track pads and weather them.
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 11:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would suggest that you make up your mind about the wanted position for the suspension and then glue the links to the needed position.
Once the "clickable" function of small plastic parts have started to turn loose there is no easy solution to it.
I can see these three options:
1. Glue them together, in the needed/wanted configuration
2. Replace with some kind of aftermarket tracks which use metal pins like the real thing. Friulmodel for instance ..
3. Do it the hard way by drilling out holes in the "hinges" so that you can insert metal pins. It can be done but it is a LOT of tedious fiddly work (foul language and severe profanities are usually a part of this).

Considering the amount of work involved it is probably easier to get an extra job, for instance flipping burgers, to pay for those aftermarket tracks

I have my own opinions about the whole workable track business but I don't want to use that kind of language in a civilized forum like Armorama

/ Robin

Hi Mate, Thanks for this post - best laugh I`ve had all day!

On a serious note I too have a dislike of plastic tracks, Its "rubber band" tracks all the way for me, life provides me with enough aggravation in my daily life without bringing it into my beloved hooby.
 _GOTOTOP