_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Meng 1/35 M911 Engine set SPS 055
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 09:14 PM UTC
I could not find any information on the internet with a review of the Meng Resin upgrade engine for their beautiful M911 kit, so I thought I'd better buy a set and put together a little review to fill the gap and let you all see what you get in the box..

The box ix very rigid and protects the parts inside well. Don't be too surprised by the weight.. or lack of it.. the whole kit including the box and all packaging weighs just 54 grammes!!

Inside the box there are three bubblewrap bags containg the parts..

Let's take a look inside the bags..

The engine block is cast as one with the transmission and is very nicely done. It is a very dark and very lightweight resin.

Looking at pictures online, at first glance it appears pretty accurate?

In the next back we have the Turbo exhaust turbine casing, exhaust manifolds, pipework, compressor and a part that I don't recognise..

In the third bag we have more ancilliaries including the fan,cooling pipework and fan pulley parts. Those coolant pipes connect up to elbows on the heat exchanger supplied in the kit.. nothing is missed.. yet..

So, on to the fitment and how this set works with the Meng kit..

In this shot of the Manual we can see that the kit is supplied with an engine sump and transmission bottom. Note it advises these parts are obviously not used if you buy their aftermarket engine.

Here I took a picture of my PC screen so you can see the whole little lot looks pretty accurate.Note the exhaust outlet pipe from the Turbo...

The kit comes with a complete air intake system that appears to hook up with the resin engine.

Here we can see the Meng parts..

The kit also includes a full radiator with holes already in place for the resin cooling hoses. There are even PE shrouds included..

The kit parts are beautifully moulded with fine detail on the grilles.

Even the full exhaust is supplied in the kit, ready to hook up to the turbo on the resin engine..

It even has the detailing on the pipe flex section as per the real truck, see the pic above..

Now the negatives.. Meng have gone to all the trouble of including the radiator, exhaust and air intake trunking and do nothing about the firewall?? There are many pipes, wires and canisters on the firewall, let alone the metal tubing that will support the radiator and grille.

No, all you get is a flat piece of plastic with holes in it for other interior parts?

Then we move on to the hood.. You would think that meng would include an easy way of showing the hood open if they are going to market an engine set? No, there's not even a scored line in the hood to help you chop it up.

I was expecting some instructions with the engine set telling you how to display the engine, or perhaps even separate replacement hood parts, but no, nothing. There aren't any instructions at all!! You are left to do the research and see how the engine goes together, what colours to paint it and how to fit it to your truck.

I wonder if they rushed the kit out because of the looming Hobby Boss kit? Maybe it was going to have an engine in the box?

Don't get me wrong, this is a beautiful set, but at the retail price of nearly £45 is overpriced for what you get.

Compare this to the Real Model M1070 set at less than 2/3rds of the cost and consider the fact you get an engine, radiator, cab floor, PE and instructions.

So, all in all, this is a beautiful resin engine set for the M911, but it is overpriced. I got mine on Ebay for £31 including postage so it doesnt hurt so bad, but it's still a lot of money for what you get.

_GOTOTOP