_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Chipping color
slayer
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 - 05:53 AM UTC
Can anyone recommand a different chipping color for the NATO camo. Im using the ammo chipping color and it gets lost in the scheme. And i dont want to use a metallic color because i feel it would look to unrealistic. I would only use that on the front fenders or the track. Thanks
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 - 03:00 PM UTC
I wonder about a product that is supposed to be for NATO camouflage.
For one thing, on US vehicles, CARC is extremely hard to chip off. When it does, it's the underlying material that dictates the color, not what the original color was.
Which vehicle is it intended for? The other problem is modelers not knowing (or caring) what the underlying material is. The two biggest culprits I see are HMMWVs and M109 series vehicles. Lots of chipping, with rust in all the wrong places.

There's nothing wrong with a metallic color if the metal doesn't rust:

And if it does, use the appropriate shade of rust. No need for exotic color mixes:

BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 01:16 PM UTC
Above is correct, CARC is very durable. It doesn’t reall chip, but it scratches if gouged.

Typical wear and tear from boots and handholds done usually rub down.

However, M1 sudeskirts and sides of Bradley’s get scratched all the time from cutting corners too close to fences or scratching against trees.

Old overpainted Tan often chips away if it wasn’t factory applied. It teavelas the tougher original 3 color NATO when it does.

Brand new equipment is delivered in Tan so it’s pretty tough.
 _GOTOTOP