_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
op cobra m4a1 76mm gun question
JeffCsr
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 06:07 AM UTC
I have a Operation Cobra 3rd division m4a1 76w that I've had on the shelf. I notice its M1A1C gun has deformed at the muzzle from the glue I used. I have an aluminum turned M1A1 barrel, no muzzle threads or cap and was wondering if this could be an accurate gun (replacement)for this particular tank or if I should repair the original capped barrel?

tia.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a Operation Cobra 3rd division m4a1 76w that I've had on the shelf. I notice its M1A1C gun has deformed at the muzzle from the glue I used. I have an aluminum turned M1A1 barrel, no muzzle threads or cap and was wondering if this could be an accurate gun (replacement)for this particular tank or if I should repair the original capped barrel?

tia.

Early M4A1 76 gun tanks are tricky. Using the un-threaded barrel means the tank will have specific details. I have the kit and it comes with an un-threaded metal barrel, as did many of the Cobra M4A1's.

This is a great source for M4 information:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4a1largehatches/m4a1_largehatches.html

For a generic M4A1 76mm tank you will need the threaded barrel with the thread protector installed.
JeffCsr
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 09:47 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. The link is especially helpful.

Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 12:15 PM UTC
The vehicles deployed on Op Cobra included the very earliest 76mm tanks, shipped over to the UK in a hurry before D Day but not deployed because of the need for re-training too close to the operation.

The large loader's hatch with the smooth-ended gun are most likely on those very early vehicles. But less of those barrels were made than large-hatch turrets, so many (most?) large-hatch tanks had the barrel with the thread protector. Small-hatch turrets would certainly have had the threaded barrel.

Going off on a tangent, if you used the Dragon Op Cobra kit then it shouldn't have the rear turret wall ventilator installed - too late to change it if already built. Dragon goofed that: the first 300 or so turrets used on A1s didn't have it. Any large-hatch A1 with a smooth-ended gun would be missing the ventilator.
JeffCsr
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 02:07 PM UTC
I noticed that about the turret ventilator, I have the old Italeri kit and have already built. The ventilator is there.

Plus an Infantry phone which I think doesn't belong.

So just to confirm I have the large turret hatches and they are reversed (left and right) A capped barrel (I fixed with filler) and the applique armor welded on the glacis. I know now that I screwed up by using a mixture of open spoke, stamped, and dished road wheels.
 _GOTOTOP