_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Are 1/35 scale MRAP´s out of favor?
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 05:31 PM UTC
After the end of Iraq War and only little media coverage from Afghanistan, it looks like the various MRAP model are out of the manufacturers focus. Sure we have finally seen (after how many years?) Bronco MaxxPro and a Buffalo A2. What about a up-to-date M-ATV (Tamiya?) or RG-31, RG-32 and RG-33 and Caiman?
leopard122
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 05:55 AM UTC
Yes i was hoping to see more mraps too, a long time ago robert skipper said something about a caiman i think, and after the meng cougar came out one i had contact with on legend production said they was waiting for meng to come out with a new cougar version before they should release a update set for them...
Lucky we have panda models but they are not the best quality but better then before that give us mraps... As trumpeter seem to not be intereasted at all... Let's hope on Takom..
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 06:39 AM UTC
A bit surprising from Trumpeter, they don't have released the MRAP Caiman while this one is based on LMTV chassis.

Still waiting for Kinetic Bushmaster not yet released.

babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 07:11 AM UTC
It would be interesting to know how the model companies decide which subjects they think will return the investment needed to bring a kit to market. Do they just go by the sales history of similar kits they've produced, do they try to find out sales numbers from other makers, do they do surveys? I assume if a vehicle isn't being done by any company it's probably because they don't think it will return a profit, but who knows, look at all the oddball kits that would never have appeared a couple of decades ago but which you can buy today. I suppose sometimes they just take their best guess and go with that.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 07:48 AM UTC
The same can be said of MRAP specific accessories, maybe with the downturn in available kits accessory manufacturers don't think it's worth doing another production run on items. I have the Panda M-ATV but for the life of me I cannot find a radio updates set for it. Pro Art & Blast Models sets are like the proverbial Unicorn Poo, Shapeways do some of the items but they are very expensive for what they are.
If anyone knows of any stockists or other manufacturers I'm all ears.
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 08:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The same can be said of MRAP specific accessories, maybe with the downturn in available kits accessory manufacturers don't think it's worth doing another production run on items. I have the Panda M-ATV but for the life of me I cannot find a radio updates set for it. Pro Art & Blast Models sets are like the proverbial Unicorn Poo, Shapeways do some of the items but thay are very expensive for what they are.
If anyone knows of any stockists or other manufacturers I'm all ears.

I got an e-mail today from an old-school resin/PE maker letting me know that since it took him ten years to sell a batch of 64 PE sets for a particular model, he wouldn't be doing another batch, it just isn't worth it to him. He still had some resin parts for the kit I was interested in, but I'd already bought a much better set from Shapeways. I agree Shapeways is pricey, but 3D printing of that quality is probably going to put most of the resin and white-metal companies out of business. For one thing a 3D printing company doesn't have to produce batches and hold them in inventory, they can print on demand which has to lower their costs enormously. Hopefully competition in that area will drive prices down.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 09:14 AM UTC
In exactly five months it'll be a century since The Great War ended. Models from that era are still being developed and sold. I think we'll be okay.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In exactly five months it'll be a century since The Great War ended. Models from that era are still being developed and sold. I think we'll be okay.

But I am not going to be here in a century!
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But I am not going to be here in a century!

Me neither but maybe my stash will still be around

/ Robin
pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 07:33 PM UTC
Given the propensity of new producers to part us with our hard earned with stuff outa left field, I wouldn't be too worried...
Im waitingfor an RG32M with RWS....
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A bit surprising from Trumpeter, they don't have released the MRAP Caiman while this one is based on LMTV chassis.

Very True Alex.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 05:17 AM UTC
Like mentioned before, Trumpeter asked me some years ago for overhead pics of the Caiman. But I think that any type if What-if, WoT related vehicle seem to me more interesting than an MRAP or any other modern truck.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 05:34 AM UTC
The work has certainly been done. See my post in this thread:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/266785&page=1

I'm still helping five or six companies with research, on a far less publicized basis. Unfortunately I don't make decisions for these companies.
 _GOTOTOP