_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
militarymodelling website
mike_is_back
Visit this Community
Bas-Rhin, France
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 10:04 AM UTC
militarymodelling website is currently down because the magazine currently ceased its activity.
Many modelers shared their knowledge on this site, do you think their knowledge is definitively lost or anything will be back online soon ?
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 11:21 AM UTC
Michael;

I regret to have to say: Assume that the site and its content are GONE. Forever. While someone may have archived content somewhere, I don't KNOW that this has happened, nor where the content may be, nor how it may be accessed. While the site MAY be revitalized, and content MAY be restored to public access in some future time - this is only a possible and NOT a surety. I BANK on this NOT happening. I could be pleasantly surprised, but...

As a "rule of...", I ALWAYS assume that content - blogs, photos, articles, reviews, etc. - posted on almost ANY site is actually TRANSIENT and ephemeral, and that it may disappear forever at any time. So... I ALWAYS copy off stuff that I think I might want to have after the originals vanish. Fortune has it that memory is actually cheap and getting cheaper!

So, SAVE stuff that you find interesting. Don't count on it being available to you next year or whenever.

Bob
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 06:44 PM UTC
Michael,

If you have a URL, try Wayback Machine. You might find what you're looking for, if there are enough snapshots of the old MM website.

Ivan
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Fortune has it that memory is actually cheap and getting cheaper!

I believe you mean hard/ssd drives are getting cheaper. Memory is just temporary storage for running program files. I have 16GBs of memory, but 5 TBs of storage. Totally different.
pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 - 07:28 PM UTC
I'm of an age where my storage hasn't changed but my memory is gone to hell....
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 06:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Fortune has it that memory is actually cheap and getting cheaper!

I believe you mean hard/ssd drives are getting cheaper. Memory is just temporary storage for running program files. I have 16GBs of memory, but 5 TBs of storage. Totally different.

I'll guess that you are, in some technical definition sense, correct! But, in function, it's ALL memory space, Shell! (Though perhaps users and marketers and designers and techs like to define and split hairs as "needed"! LoL!) All of the "memory" attached to your computer is the same, "mechanically", whether those memory devices be ROM or RAM chips, HD, SSD, or hybrid drives. All are electromagnetic data recordings. Of course, some of us - you seem to have - have separate drives ("storage") which you may actually, like myself, load and then physically detach from our computers for "air-gapped back-ups". Whether detached "storage and archives" or connected "immediate / continuous connection and access", it is all still electromagnetic memory space! And it is all getting cheaper! When I speak of computer "memory" in the context of collecting other's info and bedding it down in our own devices, I lump all my e-m info-storage options together.

My point is that storing all of that downloaded information is getting cheaper to do - however you lodge it. .

PS: This digression is exactly like the issue revealed in some posts regarding what one gets when one searches web sites and data-bases... It's a matter of "USER definition". When the USER "defines" the label, he or she gets whatever matches his or her idiosyncratic label, as versus what they may THINK that they get or want, or are talking about! There is no objective "right or wrong" here - but as I have told many, IF one's intent is to effectively exchange info - to communicate - finding some common label - a "lingua franca" as it were - that facilitates and enables a search or discussion is always useful! USING different and more-specific labels - idiosyncratic "codes" - can be disabling!

Bob
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 10:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

militarymodelling website is currently down because the magazine currently ceased its activity.
Many modelers shared their knowledge on this site, do you think their knowledge is definitively lost or anything will be back online soon ?

Michael, as MM was taken over by the same organisation that took on Missing Lynx you might find out more from them. As far as I know however there wasn't any plan to migrate the MM content to ML. There is a Military Modelling FB group, but unofficial, formed from people that used to frequent the site, they may know more. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for the content being available again though,which is a shame. I was kind of hoping that Jim might swoop in and offer to rescue it...
 _GOTOTOP