_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Will Never Buy From Dragon Again
Jagdleopard
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 07:15 AM UTC
I will never buy another Dragon kit. They have lost my business. I bought a kit directly from DragonUSA back in January. It turned out to be missing a sprue. They told me to go through DragonCare to get a replacement. There have only been two replies from DragonCare. One being the standard reply asking for the receipt, what's missing, pictures of parts circled in the instructions. I replied to this one with the info they needed. I didn't hear back so after two weeks I reply again asking what's going on. A week later I received a reply saying they would look into it. They have not replied to any of my messages since then. It is now June and I still don't have a replacement sprue and I'm out the cost of the kit.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 07:26 AM UTC
The last time I used Dragoncare, it took 8 months and me messaging them several times to get what I was mussing. Their customer service sucks
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
Armorama: 190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 07:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The last time I used Dragoncare, it took 8 months and me messaging them several times to get what I was mussing. Their customer service sucks

if these stories are true, and all info has been delivered to DragonCare as requested then not only DragonCare s..cks but the whole of Dragon; No decent company allows its customer care to work like this.
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 07:55 AM UTC
I've heard similar stories before, I wonder if going through the dealer would have any benefit, get them to ask Dragon to deal with it in a timely manner?

I had a missing sprue in a Takom kit and while it took a couple of weeks to get them to respond, they did send a replacement so in the end all was well. I wish companies would make it more clear that there is a best way to contact them however, e.g. e-mail rather than Facebook, as in some cases one method works a lot better.

IMO not only should kit makers deal with missing parts promptly, they should offer every sprue for sale so if someone wants the sprue with the turret parts or whatever they could send in the money and get just that sprue. You know, accidents will happen....
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

if these stories are true, and all info has been delivered to DragonCare as requested then not only DragonCare s..cks but the whole of Dragon; No decent company allows its customer care to work like this.

I am surpised by their lack of reply. I used Dragon Care USA twice now and my issues were resolved and had replacement parts within two weeks of first opening a ticket. I hope this is just a isolated case and not the future.

Mark
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:02 AM UTC
Sounds very much like my experience with them.
I had a 1/700 Destroyer kit missing a 5" gun turret. When I looked closer it had actually been cut off the sprue before being packed.
Made a complaint to Dragon Care, included copies of the receipt and close up photos of the sprue. After many emails to and fro they denied it happened and pretty much accused me
of doing it. Never got the part.
Fortunately I was able to use a turret going spare from a Skywave kit, but why they couldn't send a tiny part like that is beyond me.

It was a long time before I bought another Dragon kit and that was only because it was the only game in town.

I hope you have better luck with them.
ScaleDracula
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:05 AM UTC
Let's make this topic huge, guys. Maybe it will make the Dragon react eventually.

I feel for you man. This is why I always try to buy models in traditional shops. The kits are to fragile to be sent across the country.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:18 AM UTC
I have only had good experiences, with DragonCare. I have contacted them three times and receive replacement parts, within a month.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's make this topic huge, guys. Maybe it will make the Dragon react eventually.

I feel for you man. This is why I always try to buy models in traditional shops. The kits are to fragile to be sent across the country.

You realize they are shipped across the country to get to those shops, right? Dragon is based in China, not the EU.
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:25 AM UTC
Similar to Phantom Phanatic post, I have the AFV Club (NOT Dragon) M109 Shop Van, purchased from LHS. A sealed parts sprue had one front axle axle end (you know, holds the wheel on, kinda critical) missing from the sprue. At first I thought it was a short shot, but closer exam showed it had been cut or twisted off before being sealed in.
I contacted AFV Club on the Facebook page, and they referred me to Merit International, the distributor in the US. After contacting them, a rep emailed me, asking for receipt, instruction, etc. I responded, included photos, and am still waiting for an acknowledgement that this additional info was received.
Meantime, the truck chassis sits, incomplete. Still.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will never buy another Dragon kit. They have lost my business. I bought a kit directly from DragonUSA back in January. It turned out to be missing a sprue. They told me to go through DragonCare to get a replacement. There have only been two replies from DragonCare. One being the standard reply asking for the receipt, what's missing, pictures of parts circled in the instructions. I replied to this one with the info they needed. I didn't hear back so after two weeks I reply again asking what's going on. A week later I received a reply saying they would look into it. They have not replied to any of my messages since then. It is now June and I still don't have a replacement sprue and I'm out the cost of the kit.

File a complaint with your Credit Card company or Paypal and have them reverse the charge for an incomplete item. See how fast Dragon USA would rectify the problem then.
ScaleDracula
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You realize they are shipped across the country to get to those shops, right? Dragon is based in China, not the EU.

Sure dude, but you can open the box in the store and examine it, right?
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 12:52 PM UTC
The stores near me don't allow that.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 01:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sure dude, but you can open the box in the store and examine it, right?

No dude, not the shops near me.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 01:52 PM UTC
Who keeps receipts? It may be a year or two before I start a kit I ordered. I don't carefully check every part as soon as the kit arrives. I guess I have been lucky. I have had warped parts before and called and those parts were replaced. I also call and offer to just buy the spruce I need or want. I called Tamiya and asked to buy a set of decals. They said they were so cheap that they would just send them for free. I will say that I send cash for what I want. Crazy yes but cash still works. I use Sprue Brothers and Scalehobbiest mostly and never had a problem with an order. However with Dragon USA I have two orders payment that they said was never received.
I am trying to get some missing parts for a Dragon kit from Dragon USA. I talked to customer service who left am email for someone to help me. I will let you know how sucessful I am.
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 06:20 PM UTC
I have one Dragon kit that was missing the decal sheet. I contacted Dragon, provided the requested information. It's been 18 months and still no decal sheet.

I've not had much luck with any of the Chinese companies when it comes to customer service. Only Tamiya has been reliable over the years.

I'll still buy Dragon when they provide the only option for the vehicle I want. Otherwise, I'll always look at other options if available.

phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 06:43 PM UTC
It seems it's all down to luck and who gets the email at Dragon Care then.

Companies I've found from experience are fantastic with spares are Airfix, Heller, Revell Germany and Italeri.
Polar Lights also sent me a decal sheet I messed up from their 1/1000 Enterprise for just the cost of post.
Dragon could learn a lot from them.

Venko555
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 908 posts
Armorama: 698 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:10 PM UTC
I had similar experience with their customer support several years ago-missing sprue and no reply. And I haven't bought Dragon kit since then.

I would highly praise Eduard's customer support-recently bought Spitfire with missing sprue. I contacted them and they replied 30min later and the missing parts were sent very fast, received them under 10 days later.
This is very good example for excellent customer support.

Regards!
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:14 PM UTC
I had a missing sprue (the two sprockets) in a Meng MK4M , i contacted their aftersales email, received a reply the same day.
Two weeks later i received the sprue without any questions:
That's great service! Meng Rocks!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Who keeps receipts?

Always keep receipts. I have bought kits second hand and found the receipts in the box. I have a few folders with receipts and invoices just in case.

It's great for insurance purposes too.

Usually dealing with the customer service of a company on another continent is iffy at best. Though there are a couple of notable exceptions.

I usually check a kit upon receiving it for completeness. I did retail and handled customer service for years. I'm very careful. The few Dragon kits I've had with missing bits, the parts missing were all from the unused bits.
Dinocamo
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 09:27 PM UTC
The hobby store in my city is quite old, their computer is still from the 80/90s... and the rating is barely over 3 stars on Google, which I find fair as the staffs are very annoying and the environment is horrible.

Though, they always let the client to check the kits before purchasing and quite nice in term of customer service/care, even after purchase like replacements and/or anything they can offer immediately in case of a defective... Maybe it's because of Canadian laws. they also offer special order for kits not on their shelves or newly released kits. It is my to go hobby shop, though it's because it is the only big store that focus on AFV here... The other are cars and figures and Gundam...
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 555 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 11:45 PM UTC
A few years ago I had a badly warped lower hull to a stug III ausf C/D kit I contacted dragoncare after three emails sending pictures and what not after two months I got the replacement lower hull and I'm in the UK. You have to be very specific and alot of the time it's frustrating going back and forth but they do respond or at least they did, haven't brought a Dragon kit in 6 years or more though so maybe their customer service has gotten worse?
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 11:58 PM UTC
I had 2 kits, ordered from Hobby Link Japan, that had issues. One with a missing sprue and the other with a short shot/defectively made part. Hobby Link Japan responded right away and both issues solved within a month. They even shipped the parts using 2 day air (costing more than the parts themselves). Maybe going with the 'middle man', or ordering kits from HLJ, might be the solution...
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 12:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had 2 kits, ordered from Hobby Link Japan, that had issues. One with a missing sprue and the other with a short shot/defectively made part. Hobby Link Japan responded right away and both issues solved within a month. They even shipped the parts using 2 day air (costing more than the parts themselves). Maybe going with the 'middle man', or ordering kits from HLJ, might be the solution...

I always liked how Hobby Link packs a model for shipment. I never had a model arrived damaged from them.

Mark
smorko
Visit this Community
Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 12:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had similar experience with their customer support several years ago-missing sprue and no reply. And I haven't bought Dragon kit since then.

I would highly praise Eduard's customer support-recently bought Spitfire with missing sprue. I contacted them and they replied 30min later and the missing parts were sent very fast, received them under 10 days later.
This is very good example for excellent customer support.

Regards!

Same experience with their older and OOP kit. Once i got around to building it i found i had 4a sprues and no b sprues instead of 2a and 2b. One email later and 2b sprues were in the post for free. Eduard customer service rocks
 _GOTOTOP