_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Canadian Armor
Discuss all types of Canadian Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Canadian D-Day Priest Build
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 12:05 PM UTC
Alright, it has been a long while since I have done this, but here we go. My next project is to build a M7 Priest as used by the Canadian 3rd Canadian Infantry Division during the landing at Juno Beach on D-Day. The M7 Priest were chosen as they they were more mobile to get to shore, and there was an ability to shoot from the Landing Craft if needed. They were only employed for a short period, as the Canadians were very happy to get their towed 25pdrs back once they were brought ashore.

I will be starting with the Dragon M7 Priest Mid and using Eduard PE with some scratch building for the side armor extensions and front stowage brackets.

So the basic hull is started.

And I have started on creating the extra armor be shaving of the interior details on the side plates as well as the mounting point for the normal side armor flap. I used paper to create templates for the new armor.

So work is underway, stay tuned for the next update.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 03:54 PM UTC
WOW...something Canadian!...I will follow with interest.
Cheers,
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 12:18 PM UTC
So between work, couple of holidays, I have been able to get a little more done.

The interior floor is in, and primed black(just in case the paint does not reach during that process). I have also been able to get the Eduard ammo boxes built for the interior.

I have also cut the side armor extensions our of plastic sheet, and scraped of grap handles that will be replaced with PE.

As I don't have any blue prints on the actual measurements for the interior bracing, I am going to have to guess-timate where they go based on photographs.

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 01:29 PM UTC
Kevin,

Off to a really nice start. Adding the extra armor and other details will really make this build pop. Looking forward to you next post.

Mark
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 01:20 AM UTC
So work has continued on the interior fighting compartment. It was painted with Ammo by Mig SSC15 British Olive Drab, and some basic weathering added. I did end up replacing the American style rifle racks with British style straps.

The gun goes together pretty well, but there are a couple of finicky pieces. Also there is an error in the instructions from Dragon, what else is new. Parts C29 and C30 should not be mounted, as this will prevent the Priest style shields from mounting.

With the gun in place, there is a bit of a fit issue on the left side of the front armor and the shield that I will need to fix. I have also added ammunition from AFV Club(tubes) and rounds from RB Models.

Now to start on the exterior detail, stay tuned.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 09:25 AM UTC
So paint applied, used Ammo by Mig SSC15 British Olive Drab.

Decals are from Archer, having to splice a couple together to get the correct combination.

Also have some of the stowage primed, and will be painted with Vallejo. Getting close.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 09:46 AM UTC
Been quietly following your build. The Priest is looking a beauty.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 11:59 AM UTC
Good looker there.
I have the way old Italeri one.

Cheers
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 09:30 PM UTC
Looking great! How does the SSC15 used by the British/Commonwealth differ from the US OD?

SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 10:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking great! How does the SSC15 used by the British/Commonwealth differ from the US OD?

The color from Ammo by Mig is a little darker then normal OD. But from understanding the colors in real life when applied are very close, the main difference is how they fade, US Olive Drab fades to a yellowish color while SSC15 fades more brownish.

mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 09:33 AM UTC
Nice work Kevin, really looks great!

How are you thinning the ammo paints for airbrushing. My attempts are not quite that smooth.

Thanks
Mike
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 10:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How are you thinning the ammo paints for airbrushing. My attempts are not quite that smooth.

Thanks
Mike

I use Ammo by Mig thinner exclusively for their paint, mixing at about 25% thinner. And spray at about 15psi. I apply light coats, building up the color.

Kevin

dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 407 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 11:56 PM UTC
Really awesome job Kevin. Will you put it in a dio when finished? Best regards.......Dale
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks
Mike

I use Ammo by Mig thinner exclusively for their paint, mixing at about 25% thinner. And spray at about 15psi. I apply light coats, building up the color.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin - I am using their thinner as well, but closer to 50/50 paint to thinner, 12 psi and light coats. How many coats does it take you to get the final finish?
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2018 - 12:10 PM UTC
Well this took me a little longer then I expected, and I rushed through a little bit. Not one of my best builds, but am happy with the look.

I used Bronco track, which for some may be cumbersome to build, the effort is definitely worth it, they look great. (Well other then the fact I should have added a link or two, a little tight)

So tracks on, stowage added.

Well thanks for following, stay tuned for the next build. Not sure what it is, but I do have a Gecko A10 on the desk for a build review.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2018 - 12:32 PM UTC
SgtRam,

Great looking build. Really loving the detail you put into it.

Mark
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 - 01:38 AM UTC
VERY NICE !!!!
 _GOTOTOP