_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Best Pzkfw IV H in 35th scale?
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 03:19 PM UTC
I am planning my next projcct, a Pzkfw IV H. I don't know which kit is best. I am thinking Dragons 6300 or 6560. If you have an opinion I would love to hear it. If you think there is another kit that is better let me know. Thanks ahead of time.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 05:32 PM UTC
I built Dragon 6526 last year which is the mid-production H. Only comes with one markings option for "Unknown tank, Eastern Front.

...and a million sprues...

No Zimm...

Metal hull schurzen, plastic turret schurzen. Nice kit.

Gaz
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 05:48 PM UTC
Dragon kit 6300 is a late version. The original release included magic tracks. The more recent reissue dropped these and replaced them with DS tracks. So, you will want to try to get the original release if you can. It is also missing zimmerit that would be required for several of the kit versions.

Kit 6560 is basically the same as kit 6300 with zimmerit. Unfortunately it also includes DS tracks.

Really it comes down to whether you want a kit with or without zimmerit.

You also have the old Tamiya Early version kit. Academy also has recently released a kit that looks nice.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 06:08 PM UTC
I have the same kit as Gaz. You could conceivably get away with no zimmerit and still be mid if you consider that to be roughly the middle third of the production run, which zimmerit started about halfway through the course of. I can't recall if the kit had parts that would be appropriate to the zimmerit end of the run or if it would even be noticeable, for that matter.

As mentioned, lots of sprues, typical Dragon. Will build quality but do read carefully and check before gluing ALWAYS. I have a complete run of Pz IV's from Dragon except for the Ausf A and B, so I have some sort of faith in the product.

BTW, the pattern for this tank regardless will be the standard dunkelgelb with olivgrun/rotbraun overspray that you can pretty much base off any camo scheme you like unless you are trying to represent a specific unit.

Mine has Magic Tracks; I don't know if it got reissued with DS or not.
TheLilPeashooter
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 06:45 PM UTC
Avoid the Academy early release of Panzer IV H (with the white box), unless you have a death wish. Awful fit and a shameless knockoff of the Tamiya release.

I heard the new release is pretty decent.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Avoid the Academy early release of Panzer IV H (with the white box), unless you have a death wish. Awful fit and a shameless knockoff of the Tamiya release.

To clarify, it's a knock-off of the 1970s Tamiya Pzkpfw IV H as opposed to the late 1990s Tamiya Pzkpfw IV. ( recently reviewed here on Armorama) One was a somewhat misshapen motorized kit and the other was state of the art for the 1990s.

Back to topic I have 6823 Bef. PZ IV J. It has all the bits of the earlier ausf H with zimmerit with the command bits. Of course it has DS track. Just tighter track tension is all.

Strangely the last issue of the old white box Academy kit had link-to-link track in it. The new one was recently reviewed on Armorama too so you can take a long deep look at it.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 01:15 AM UTC
Is the Zimm on the 6560 kit done well? I could not tell from the pictures I saw.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 03:30 AM UTC
The bits in 6560 and 6823 are identical with the latter having "J" and befehls panzer parts.

The zimmerit is very nice for molded on. Among the nicest and crispest Dragon has done.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

To clarify, it's a knock-off of the 1970s Tamiya Pzkpfw IV H as opposed to the late 1990s Tamiya Pzkpfw IV. ( recently reviewed here on Armorama) One was a somewhat misshapen motorized kit and the other was state of the art for the 1990s.

Back to topic I have 6823 Bef. PZ IV J. It has all the bits of the earlier ausf H with zimmerit with the command bits. Of course it has DS track. Just tighter track tension is all.

Strangely the last issue of the old white box Academy kit had link-to-link track in it. The new one was recently reviewed on Armorama too so you can take a long deep look at it.

I've heard nothing but good things about the NEW Pz.Kw.IV H from Academy. Spru Brothers has it for $51 and some change. I'm going to order in a couple.

gary
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 07:12 PM UTC
Thanks everyone. I ordered the Dragon 6823 and will download the H model instructions. I don't believe the kit comes with the hull side shields. I guess the next step is aftermarket for track and shields.
 _GOTOTOP