_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Israeli HMMWV 6x6 Conversion Kit
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 08:05 PM UTC
A bolt-on 6x6 conversion kit for the basic 4x4 HMMWV was offered by an Israeli private entrepreneur in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyceiJnfiPU

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 - 09:20 PM UTC
Interesting....

Talking about 6x6 Humvees, what about this one ?

It's the AM General Cab-Over Heavy Hummer Variant (COHHV) which was a prototype cargo truck built completely from Humvee parts (1994).

H.P.
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 12:44 AM UTC
In regards to the cabover Humvee, I quote the movie Galaxy Quest: "That's a helluva thing."
JavierDeLuelmo
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 08:18 AM UTC
The axles on the israeli 6x6 look a lot like the old DAF/Trado units first built in the 30s, and thereafter used on some duth vehicles & conversions, as well by the Engesa company in Brazil.

For the Humvee COE there was also a 4x4 variant, with a nearly stock original chassis and at least two prototypes built differing in the cab: one like the 6x6, the other slightly better looking and with more fibre used in its construction.
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 10:47 AM UTC
In regards to the cabover HMMWV, I quote from the movie Saving Private Ryan. "She fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down" ..........

The Israeli 6x6 conversion would have serious off-road limitations with no differential action between the "axles". The rear wheels each side would function only as a linked pair. I bet on-road cornering was a dog: armfulls of understeer. This concept has been around since before WW2: there's a reason it didn't catch on. Engesa didn't survive.

If you want a serious off-roader which can be easily converted from a 4x4 to a 6x6 I commend to you the most excellent Supacat Extenda. Basically a Supacat 400 with an add-on module to make it into a 600. In military variant terms, a Jackal that can become a Coyote.
 _GOTOTOP