_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
CIA pickup vol 2 WIP
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 - 02:34 PM UTC
Meng pickup #2 in progress for a CIA truck in early 2000's
A Black army driver figure with the spare head from a Black Dog CIA operator figure. Needed a little surgery...

Stowage from Live Resin, Meng, J's Works, and Black Dog

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 01:15 AM UTC

Drivers weapon still needs some accessories and a sling, but I am still deciding on the positioning.

or

or

Thoughts?

Scene will be set with one Black Dog figure out of truck holding binoculars. I will probably put a Live Resin walkie talkie into that 'ought to be holding the wheel, but isn't' hand.
There will most likely not be great viability into the cab once the roof is on and the windows are dusty, but I will know it is there.

I wish the doors of these trucks we posable opened like their truck w the Zu23/2
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 02:19 AM UTC
Mike,

If you can, you might want to replace at least one of the Meng packs with something else, they're actually medical bags (and I can tell you as a Corpsman we hated that particular bag).
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 03:12 AM UTC
These might be helpful. Not early 2000's but 2007. My COP at Rabiah, Syrian Border.

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike,

If you can, you might want to replace at least one of the Meng packs with something else, they're actually medical bags (and I can tell you as a Corpsman we hated that particular bag).

Thanks for the heads up. I've got a couple of old Accurate Armor internal frame packs and some pics of 'operator types' schlepping them.

Meng does a terrible job documenting their bags. I've only got the one large med bag, but it shows up in the pics of the bed and now glued into the back seat. I'll put this one outside with the binoc Black Dog guy.

Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 07:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

These might be helpful. Not early 2000's but 2007. My COP at Rabiah, Syrian Border.

Interesting - I did not know it snowed in Syria.
That white truck appears to have some hail damage...
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Robert, thanks for those.
Great photos for a later project for sure. Right click, save as..

I'm working more off these three images for reference.

I'd already built this one on a compressed time schedule for last years shows and it did well. I did hear from more than one person that it would look better loaded up with gear. At the time I did not have the stowage or the time to finish the figures.

Can I pick your brain for a moment? I'd seen some truck pictures with bright orange air-ID panels taped to the roof, some with the x-wing antenna, but none with both.
Given that this build is a black body, the orange ID panel would add visdual appeal. But I'd rather not COMPLETELY depart from realism.
Is a truck with both a taped on air ID panel and the x-wing antenna realistic?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hmmm...

This was my gun truck in Afghanistan. Not only an orange panel and X wing, but also glint tape arranged in an X on the hood.

Nice build, by the way. I like the way you kept the windows clean. You can see on my truck no matter how dirty the vehicle gets the windows stay clean. Not even windshield wiper tracks. Visibility=survivability.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm...

This was my gun truck in Afghanistan. Not only an orange panel and X wing, but also glint tape arranged in an X on the hood.

Fantastic, thank you! That's just the image I was looking for!
I'd not seen the X-wings mounted on the hood like that, but I am doing mine that way for sure now. The glint tape looks like it shows up as light grey in daylight.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 08:40 AM UTC
The glint tape indeed looks light gray.
As for the antenna on top, when I first rode down to the Paktika Province, the X wings were roof mounted, as in this photo:

I noticed that when I needed to track a potential threat, the damned antenna would invariably get in the way, so:

That sort of set the standard for the antenna mount after that.

Lots of dirt on that truck as well. Note clean windows again.

_GOTOTOP