_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Egyptian Sherman with amx13 turret.
OleSaeterboe
Visit this Community
Norway
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 03:35 AM UTC
Dragon has released the AMX13 turreted Sherman and from what i have read it is not the best one. The alternative way i see to get one is using the Tasca M4A4 with A2 parts for the hull. But what about the turret. Can i use the one from Hobbyboss EBR-10 armoured car and if so where can i get one? The Hobbyboss replacement service leads to a dead end. And what about Takom and Tamiya are they better to use?

best regards

Ole Sæterbø
nichenson
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 05:21 AM UTC
The detail on the turret is not that great. It is soft compared to the rest of the kit. If you want a better turret, the one in the Takom AMX-13 kit is wonderful. I haven't tried to see how much difference there is in the turret base diameters though.
OleSaeterboe
Visit this Community
Norway
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 05:45 AM UTC
Thanks, but is it possible to buy just sprues from takom? Or do you whether the AMX13 with Chaffee turret contains all the parts for the AMX turret?

nichenson
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, but is it possible to buy just sprues from takom? Or do you whether the AMX13 with Chaffee turret contains all the parts for the AMX turret?

The Chaffee kit does not have extras enough to use. The turret in that kit is much different. You will definitely have to get the AMX13/75 kit. As for buying sprues, I have never tried. Maybe someone on here has. Regardless, you should be able to find that kit for a decent price.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 04:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dragon has released the AMX13 turreted Sherman and from what i have read it is not the best one. The alternative way i see to get one is using the Tasca M4A4 with A2 parts for the hull. But what about the turret. Can i use the one from Hobbyboss EBR-10 armoured car and if so where can i get one? The Hobbyboss replacement service leads to a dead end. And what about Takom and Tamiya are they better to use?

best regards

Ole Sæterbø

The Hobbyboss EBR turret has the same mistake as the Heller turret--the front face of the turret base is depicted as razor sharp, when in fact the casting was a couple of inches thick. If the canvas dust shroud is fitted, the mistake isn't visible, but the Egyptian tanks did not have that feature (it was developed after they were built). The Egyptian turrets had a rubber strip bolted to the top edge of the base, which was folded against the face of the upper turret section, and slid against it to seal out dust. The tank at the Latrun museum still has this rubber strip in place.

Dragon's kit has the rubber strip, but it also has the mounting ridges for the canvas cover, which will have to be sanded off.

If you dislike the Dragon product, the Asuka/Tasca M4A4 kit (suitably modified with an M4A2 engine deck and exhausts) could be mated with the turret from a Takom or Tamiya AMX-13.The AMX-13 turret was smaller than the M4's, and an adaptor ring was fitted. This adaptor was secured with a circle of large slotted screws which were visible from above.
nichenson
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 07:05 AM UTC
You will have to forgive the bad pics. I don't have my usual camera set up and I wanted to take something quick to show you. The first pic has the Dragon at the top and the Takom at the bottom. They are roughly the same size, but overall, the Takom has much crisper detail.

This next pic shows the two turret rings. The Dragon is on the bottom and the Takom on top. As you can see, the Dragon is a bit smaller so you would have to widen the hole in the hull.

Last pic shows the turret bases. Again, Dragon is on top and Takom is on the bottom.

I feel overall that the Takom turret matches the lower portion of the Dragon kit much better. It almost seems the Dragon Turret was an afterthought.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It almost seems the Dragon Turret was an afterthought.

Say it ain't so!
 _GOTOTOP