_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Diamond T M968A & M1A1 info help
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 09:40 AM UTC
So experts-- I need your insight. I scored a Mirror Models soft cab Diamond T M968A for about $35 last December (whoo eeee, at that price I couldn't resist), and just acquired a Bronco M1A1 155mm gun. (I like towed artillery, and have a small collection of prime movers and field pieces in towing configuration). My understanding is many M1A1 units used the M968 or M968A as the prime mover. The HST being reserved for the M1 and 8" howitzer. However, I've been unable to find much info on this M968A and M1A1 "lash up" on the internet. Specifically, I'm looking for artillery units and theaters it might have been used in. So far I've seen a couple of photos from Italy, and one from the Pacific at Bougainville (with a hard cab M968 coming off an LST). Anybody know where I can find some photos? Still waiting on someone to release a Mack NO in plastic.
VR, Russ
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 09:49 AM UTC
IIRC, this one belonged to the 333rd FA Bn. which was a Black artillery unit of the VII Corps.

"American troops being evacuated pass other American units moving up for the defence of Bastogne. Heavy artillery was evacuated from Bastogne whilst half tracks and tanks moved forward. Ardennes Offensive"

H.P.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 11:59 AM UTC
Yep, that's the only photo I've found on the net so far too, but there must certainly be more from the "other side of the gun" I hope.
VR, Russ
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 01:48 PM UTC
Not sure if this is the same:

http://www.stolly.org.uk/ETO/americanartillierybatteryonthemarchbagnolesdelorneneardomfront.jpg
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 02:02 PM UTC

Nope-- that's a Mack NO, towing an M1 155mm "Long Tom". I'm surprised at the dearth of photos of the Diamond T 968A towing the M1A1, to my knowledge, the M968A was the designated prime mover for the M1A1, since it was a 4 ton truck and could handle the smaller gun, whereas the NO was the five ton truck and was assigned to the much larger "Long Tom". I think that photo may have been taken in or near Clerveaux though--interesting.
VR, Russ
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 08:07 PM UTC
Have you considered a Korea War option (maybe not in this situation though...) ?

H.P.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 12:35 AM UTC
This split photo shows two ways to load the prime mover with ammunition and equipment :

H.P.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 02:17 AM UTC
Frenchy--Aha!! That's exactly what I was looking for. Not sure where you found it but thanks!! Those are hard cab M968s but it shows the gun and loading options perfectly. Some in-action photos would be great, but these show th load out nicely. The Korea photos are fine, but I'm not sure that's an M968 prime mover-- it's too bashed up to tell! Thanks much-- I should have known you'd come up with a great photo! Merci!
VR, Russ
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Korea photos are fine, but I'm not sure that's an M968 prime mover-- it's too bashed up to tell!

You're welcome Russ. I had some doubts as well about the pictured truck, but now I'm pretty sure it's a soft cab Diamond T with a wooden cargo bed. I've ruled out the Mack NO option ( 2 footsteps per mud flap vs 3, different front fenders for instance...)

The load options split picture comes from Militarymashup.com.

H.P.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 02:52 AM UTC
Frenchy, yes, I do see the resemblance in the Korean War version, a dead giveaway for both the Mack NO and the M968 are the wire steps on the mud flaps, and I see those now in the photos, I wonder what the background story of that photo is-- there are two M1A1s in the photo but only one truck. I wonder if one truck was towing both? Didn't know that could be done-- I'll have to check.
VR, Russ
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 03:10 AM UTC
"WTF ?" situation indeed

H.P.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:38 AM UTC
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-PR-Japan/img/USA-PR-Japan-131.1.jpg

Says it is a 4 ton. Gun is most likely an M1918 variant but it gives a nice view of stowage. Don't know if it helps any.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:54 AM UTC
Yep-- thanks Russ, that's the one from Bougainville I believe. I think you're right, that's an M1918 model. I live pretty close to Fort Lewis, where one of these is on display, but sadly, no one makes a kit of it. I'll be visiting your neck of the woods later this month-- any good shops down there?
VR, Russ
P.S. Wow-- I just noticed something in the photo link-- that M968 coming off the LST at Bougainville has something not frequently seen in the Pacific Theater--- chains on the tires! Guess they helped with traction across a sandy beach too! You can tell it's a tropical environment-- look at those sailors stripped to the waist along the ramp. I suppose this could be Italy too, but I've seen the same photo captioned for Bougainville elsewhere.
VR, Russ
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 10:02 AM UTC
It is Bougainville. Found the photo in the US Army green book series from the War in the Pacific. I always thought it would be a great diorama.

Sadly, there aren't a lot of hobby shops left in the area. MRS Hobby down in Sandy and West Valley Hobbies, just off the I-215 loop on the west side. Where will you be visiting?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 03:59 PM UTC
Russ,
I’ll be in Highland. My Daughter just moved there from Provo. When I was stationed there in the mid 80s, I used to visit Douglas Models on occasion. But I never really had time for any building at that period in my life. I guess Douglas has been sold a couple of times and is now “Sprue Brothers”. It was once one of the largest LHS in the West, established in the 30s. Sad that it’s gone. I’ve visited a small shop in Provo over the years ( The Hobby Stop is the name I think), may make it down there— it’s mostly trains but they have some nice plastic kits and supplies too. It will be a short trip, just to help my daughter get a few things organized.
I understand Loic Anthian who first bought Douglas has now purchased the old Pacific Coast Models, and opened a new “Kitlinx” on line store I think— he used to live down there, but I don’t know if the new company is based there. He was also involved in the “Saints and Soldiers” film group down there too.
VR, Russ
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 05:21 AM UTC
Russ, just a follow up to my previous post-- Kitlinx is indeed based in Sandy, and owned by Loic Anthian. However, I doubt they have a retail store-- looks like offices only.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP