_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Missing Links post
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 11:17 PM UTC
I just posted this in the General Forum on Missing Links. They (again) deleted several of my posts last night and I thought this post was in order there:

----------------------------------------------------------------

I was rather irked to notice that you deleted both of my posts from last nite. I really think you need to add a #4 to your listing above.

#4. Don't post URLs of sites that are competitors to this one.

This is the only reason I can think of why you keep deleting my posts (because I sign them with my site URL). Pardon me for letting a few people know about my site.

Ok I am done ranting now. You will I am sure delete this post rather quickly anyways. I will post a copy on mine (just for the record).

Jim
https://armorama.kitmaker.net

EOM
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 11:21 PM UTC
Wow. If you do find out that that's the reason your posts were deleted that's probably the first circumstance I've heard of such a thing. It really makes me wonder if they feel insecure about their site. If I was them, I'd feel insecure too because Armorama blows them out of the water as far as site deisgn, functionality, people and overall quality.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 11:26 PM UTC
Bryan,
Well I have to admit (I think) it's the first time I have seen them go into a sub-message (not an original post) and delete it. But they have deleted quite a few (10+) of my posts. Some of my early ones were just to let people know about the site. Of ALL the forums I have posted on with similar messages, they are the ONLY one to delete them. So I think you may be right about the insecurity thing.

Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 11:53 PM UTC
Jim - it's happened to me too a couple of times - and I certainly didn't think my personal website a challenge to ML at all! I agree with Bryan - there is little reason for me to post there anyway, now that armorama.com is here...

Gunnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 11:59 PM UTC
Gunnie,
Wow...that's surprising. Maybe they just don't like anyone who "appears" to them to be promoting their site. Hard judgement calls to make. Maybe I should have deleted your first post. LOL.

I heard via e-mail from another high-profile armor site webmaster. They delete his posts too. They really should add that #4.

I think at minimun they should email the user an tell them why they are deleting their posts.

Jim
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 12:09 AM UTC
Its a sad day. I just saw your post at ML. I have 3 web sights in my favorite box. Of course, I have Armorama number 1 and then I also have ML and Mil-Mod. I have questioned there tactics once and while. A while back I sent them some pic of my models and still to this day I havnt seen them on there sight. I guess they are very judgmental and insecure. THEY MIGHT JUST GET DELETED FROM MY FAVORITES BOX!!!!! I guess this just proves that this sight is more FRIENDLER than the others.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 12:12 AM UTC
I notice that if you do not use your full name and e-mail address, then you are severly reprimanded at that site.
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 12:20 AM UTC
Lack of full name and email certainly gets them upset over at ML.I think the owner does not like any competition to his site probably why your posts were axed!
Oh well,this site is a much nicer place to visit anyhow :-)
Have a good one
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 12:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie,
Wow...that's surprising. Maybe they just don't like anyone who "appears" to them to be promoting their site. Hard judgement calls to make. Maybe I should have deleted your first post. LOL.

I heard via e-mail from another high-profile armor site webmaster. They delete his posts too. They really should add that #4.

I think at minimun they should email the user an tell them why they are deleting their posts.

Jim

Heh, heh - maybe you should have deleted my first post!

I think he left your last post up there to "beat the bush" and get the cronies raging about your Infedel remarks.

Epi - I once read that he has a huge backlog in submitted material and photos sent in for posting at ML. I can buy that, it is a really heavy visited site, but I find it interesting how fast certain modeler's works to get posted there. Must be like a fraternity-thing - some people have juice cards and get bumped to the top of the line

No sense in raging about it - this is a nice enough forum to frequent...

Gunnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 12:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I notice that if you do not use your full name and e-mail address, then you are severly reprimanded at that site.

Rob,
Lol...I just realized that this site is (almost) the opposite. That is the only requirement here is that you assign yourself a callsign (real name optional) and your real email is also optional (of course I have it). Interesting. Personally I do appriciate at least knowing real names. But the callsigns are cool too. All except mine, "staff"... what was I thnking.

Jim

PS: Before you say it... I can change it but is has rather "negative" effects on the articles, posts and such in the database. Already tried. I could probably do it right but it would mean really scouring the database for all "staff" references.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think he left your last post up there to "beat the bush" and get the cronies raging about your Infedel remarks.

Gunnie - you are probably right about that. Will have to see. Thanks for the kind remarks about this site though (and everyone elses too!).

Jim
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 04:21 AM UTC
I think I posted this somewheres else today...shows how far out I am as of late.
I think it really has to do with "squelching the competition". Insecurity certainly plays a big part in that. It truely is a shame,...rather than promote the "HOBBY", they seem more interested in self promotion. I know from experience, that those who are the top or at least think they are, are always afraid of falling, they have the furthest distance to the ground.
I'm glad you posted that there Jim. I can only wish it opens their eyes a bit to realize that it's about the hobby and not individuals.
I'm glad this place is the way it is! :-)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 05:24 AM UTC
Andrews response to my post. I figured since he said he is going to delete the thread soon I should post it for the record.

Oh I think there is a big difference between letting someone know when there's a major update on your site, but when every one of your posts contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation except "Oh we're talking about this on MY site right now which is located at www.abcdefg.com" or your other classic post "please contribute to my site at www.abcdefg.com" it's more than a little cheeky don't you think? Remember rule #2...keep messages on topic and relevant.

Most webmasters are intelligent enough to try and develop a formula of their own to make their product attractive to potential visitors instead of SPAMing simultaneously across 10 of my discussion groups as you have in the past.

Do you see Brett Green or Terry Ashley or George Bradford posting grandstanding stupidities everywhere? The answer is no. Why? They are busy working on their sites in order to make them better. Instead of concentrating on this sort of bullshit, which certainly doesn't do the hobby any good, why don't you work on improving your site?

It's one thing to post a note once in a while, it's quite another to post, almost daily I might add, useless messages that are thinly disguised ads for your site. I don't see other webmasters abusing these DGs for this purpose, those that post website update news are not even coming close to your almost daily SPAMfest.

If you want to mention your site's updates every once in a while it's fine, but using my discussion groups to post stupidities will not be tolerated, no matter who you are or what your site is. Your messages are the equivalent to those annoying popup banners that appear all over the net...key word here is :ANNOYING.

If the shoe was on the other foot I'm sure you'd feel very differently about this, but seeing as you have never bothered emailing me in private about this matter in the past and would rather post your misguided opinions on the ML DGs, as well as your own (the part about your posts being deleted because you are a threat to ML is laughable in the least), then I see that there may be a "hidden agenda" here, only I'm not the one with it. The fact that you posted this message on this DG instead of private email like most mature people would is simply yet another one of your SPAM "look at me! look at me!" marketing ploys and will be deleted shortly.

Stop the SPAM or you'll be banned, same rules apply to you as any other visitor. Live with it.

End
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 05:24 AM UTC
And my response:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew,
Not that I disagree with everything you said (I just disagree with you viewing all my posts as SPAM), the fact is that you are a hypocrite.

"The fact that you posted this message on this DG instead of private email like most mature people would is simply yet another one of your SPAM "look at me! look at me!" marketing ploys and will be deleted shortly."

The email on my post works, why didn't you email me? Esspecially if you are going to delete this thread anyways. The plain fact is: you get rid of all the evidence.

Enough said. My "point" in posting was so that future users won't waste a lot of their valuable time in posting things they think are important, but that you think are irrelevant. You should be more specific in your #2 rule. On the posts I started (like this one) I AM ON TOPIC.

Nice to meet you too.

Jim
https://armorama.kitmaker.net

END
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 05:54 AM UTC
WOW...

Oh my goodness, it's a good thing I never bothered to post anything there. most flame wars seem to start from the moderator or whatever controls the DG.
No bother Jim, got a good thing here and will continue to grow w/o places like ML.
Keep up the good work,
Your Fan Club.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 06:06 AM UTC
Uggg....it goes on. I should have listened when people told me in the last few months that they "had issues with some of the other forums".

Andrew's response:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why should I bother emailing you? Do you think I'm going to take the time to email every troll that happens to post crap on the site and advise him why his messages keep getting deleted? Everyone else who has a problem with messages seems to have no problem contacting me offline...why are you so special? I think the real agenda is coming out here...

"Removing the evidence"...ah, okay Scully where to next? Have those evil men from ML been removing all evidence of extraterestrial life on this planet too? Obsess much?

You are a SPAMer, plain and simple. Keep your crap off my site.

End of message.

My response:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh...he's deleted it already. But basically I responded to his points above. I also said that it's wrong that he considers my post SPAM and crap just because they mention this site. I said that this site represents the hard work of it's user base and (therefore) is not "crap".

Personally I think his posts speak volumes.

Jim
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 06:44 AM UTC
Jim,
Forget that $#@&Ļ%$$, just like EPI said we are your fun club :-) I love this site and I encounrage people to visit it, keep the good work and forget about than.
When I made my site, I updated it twice a month and i putted messages in the forum regarding my ssite was updated, and I saw an e-mail that "him" send me was just like what he wrote to you, I sure they donīt want to competition, their @#$%%$##...
Keep this site just the way it is, because we all love it even more.
Your Fun Club
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 06:54 AM UTC
Lol...Thanks for the fan club guys.

I won't lie. This site get's a lot of additional users from posting on ML. Some you you are probably reading this post. If Andrew is truly trying to maintain the purity of the forums and keep everything on topic and relevant I have no problem with that. More power to him.

I just thought that the two posts I made last night were completely on-topic and didn't need to be deleted. Seemed rather childish to me. Like someone playing god.

I am rather proud of the fact that after almost 1000 posts, I haven't had to delete a post or repremand anyone. Knock on wood.

Jim
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 07:11 AM UTC
Did you go ahead and tell him to ban you? I would have told him to ban me if it was me...lol!
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 07:25 AM UTC
I have not been to the site in question but have said from the start the reason I come to this site is attitude of the poeple on the message boards. I usually don't use message boards because even if I get some useful information, I have to deal with the person who answers the question stroking themselfs for being the master of the universe. There is usually some direct or indirect comment pointing out my ignorance. To me its just not worth is. But here I have asked questions that I am sure are stupid to someone, but all I get is help and good advice. I hope it stays this way.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 08:42 AM UTC
Jim,
I just realized something, even though you started this site , it feels like everyones site. I dont get the feeling of you being god like what happened at ML today. Know I'm not going to boycot ML, but they just lost a viewer. That was just wrong!!!!!!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 10:50 AM UTC
Jim,

This whole 'Flame' war is new to me, but I think drewgimpy got it spot-on in the previous post. Look, no worries, I think you're establishing a true ' fan club' here. There is NO other
site that has what this one has. I think there was a Forum thread a week or so ago that migrated into the special 'connection' that we all had when we were 'in' the service. There was several commments about how unique that kind of comradeship was and how most of us had not had that kind of communication since.......all I can say is, it's both a pleasure and an warm experience to be part of THIS site.
So, that said, why are we still talking about this ML??????

LOL all

Tread
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 11:23 AM UTC
Tread, I think you and the others are right. Enough said. I am going to lock this topic down and let if fade into obscurity. Armorama.com does not need ML (or visa versa).

Thanks everyone for your continued support. You all (and how many webmasters can really say "all") are great.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP