_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tiny Part Placers
CellarDweller21516
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 11:33 AM UTC
I have some Grab-It sticks with a gummy wax tip for small part placement but the wax sometimes comes off the stick on the part I am placing. I also have a similar product from Model Craft which does not use the messy wax tip except the thing sucks...parts always fall off and that's even if I can get them to stick in the first place...POS product in my opinion...I want a part placer with out the messy gummy wax tip...I have seen from ultimate modeling products a pencil with a tacky core that you sharpen with a pencil sharpener...anyone ever try the one from Ultimate and if not does anyone know of a similar product that actually works?
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 12:00 PM UTC
I have the wax pencil like placer and they work pretty well,not from UMP but same same,you can find them cheaper on ebay or Aliexpress
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 04:40 PM UTC
I just use a little piece of Blu-tak on a toothpick, works quite well.
Nagmakava
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 08:35 PM UTC
You can also use something like maskol (dried of course!!) on the end of a toothpick..
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 09:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the wax pencil like placer and they work pretty well,not from UMP but same same,you can find them cheaper on ebay or Aliexpress

Same here, got 2 for 1$ or so and works fine
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2018 - 01:45 AM UTC
I also have the pencil from UMP. It works OK for some items, but for really tiny parts which are longer than they are wider (such as fine hydraulic lines or thin cables) it has an issue with finding enough surface area to "stick" too. I also find it only supports so much weight, so the heavier a part is, the more difficult it becomes to grip it-- requiring more force to "stick" which can break fragile parts if you are not careful. In those cases I've had some success using "Silly Putty" formed into a tiny ball, and either attaching it to a fine point tweezer or using a wooden skewer cut down to size. Once the part is dry, I remove the "Silly Putty" The pencil is OK, but doesn't always work for every small part.
VR, Russ
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2018 - 03:10 AM UTC
I have a small bar of beeswax that I stick a toothpick in for a bit of tacky-ness on the tip.
CellarDweller21516
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2018 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a small bar of beeswax that I stick a toothpick in for a bit of tacky-ness on the tip.

Does the beeswax come off on the parts when you use it?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2018 - 03:45 AM UTC
Not that I've noticed. The beeswax would rather stick to wood than the PE (except for picking it up!). It's only a tiny bit of stickyness on the toothpick.
CellarDweller21516
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2018 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I also have the pencil from UMM. It works OK for some items, but for really tiny parts which are longer than they are wider (such as fine hydraulic lines or thin cables) it has an issue with finding enough surface area to "stick" too. I also find it only supports so much weight, so the heavier a part is, the more difficult it becomes to grip it-- requiring more force to "stick" which can break fragile parts if you are not careful. In those cases I've had some success using "Silly Putty" formed into a tiny ball, and either attaching it to a fine point tweezer or using a wooden skewer cut down to size. Once the part is dry, I remove the "Silly Putty" The pencil is OK, but doesn't always work for every small part.
VR, Russ

Have you tried licking and or wetting the tip of the pencil? I have to do that with my ModelCraft placer which is a POS to begin with but it does help a little.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2018 - 04:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the pencil from UMP and I am not impress with it. The wax keeps crumbling apart and I am always having to sharpen it. I found a little blu-tac on the end of a tooth pick works the best.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2018 - 05:42 AM UTC
As a mater of fact I have used moisture on the end of the UMP pencil. But it doesn’t help much. It just doesn’t have enough “tack” to “grab” a small part and maneuver it into place. It works for some PE parts better than plastic in most cases, but it’s hard to press hard enough to get it to grip without breaking or deforming the parts in many cases. I’ve found “Silly Putty” works better and is easily removed when the part is affixed in place.
VR, Russ
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 03:40 AM UTC
I sometimes use the UMP pencil to place etched parts. I share your opinion, on the Grab-it sticks. Have to agree, with Colin. Bluetack works great. I have also heard that you can substitute Silly Putty for the Bluetack, but have not tried it myself.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 02:47 AM UTC
I use a tootpick cutten flat (trasversally or obliquely) and a bit of saliva. Cheap, effective and doesn't leave any visible residue.
Of course it requires that the piece has some flat surface.
 _GOTOTOP