_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Trumpeter T59-B
Removed by original poster on 08/29/18 - 09:05:36 (GMT).
brunocollin
Visit this Community
Gironde, France
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:45 PM UTC
Are you talking about one of their early releases ?
Those kits are nearly useless, on par with Skif kits.
Removed by original poster on 08/29/18 - 05:15:58 (GMT).
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 03:37 AM UTC
As noted by Bruno, these early Trumpeter kits are pretty much useless. Since the only major visual difference between a Type 59 and Type 59B is the 105mm gun barrel, you would be much better off getting the Takom Type 59/69-I kit and using the barrel from the Trumpeter kit or getting an aftermarket 105mm - which is readily available since it is just copy of the British L7 gun used on the Centurion.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 04:07 AM UTC
Look at the lower rear hull. It's completely off in shape and size to accommodate a motor.
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 04:32 AM UTC
Trust every one of us when I say this,the early Trumpeter kits was nothing more than fancy motorized toys.You can still find some of the early ones with the motors still in them.Get you one of the nice Miniart or even Takom(they have a Type 59) and use that and don't bother with that old junk.
Removed by original poster on 08/29/18 - 05:15:30 (GMT).
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 09:05 AM UTC
Can't help you on the antenna question. And I'll go against the flow on this kit: It can be made into a pretty good representation of what it's supposed to be, but it takes a hell of a lot of work. Trust me, I built (and sold) a goodly number of them back before the Tamiya kit came out, and not for peanuts either. Of course, for each one, I had to steal parts from an Esci kit as well. You can see an Esci tow hook on the bottom vehicle:

Here's just the beginning of what you heed to do to the rear hull. Lots of cutting involved.

I don't even remember much said about the rear hull at the time, but then, I wasn't on every single model website I could log onto. I do remember a few people (one of whom is no longer allowed to post here) grousing about the tank sitting one or two millimeters too high - a ridiculously easy fix.

I say if that's what you have to work with, go for it.

Apologies for the photo quality back then.
Removed by original poster on 08/29/18 - 05:15:08 (GMT).
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 05:52 PM UTC
Hi,
for what I remember, the kit hull is 3 mm too high. 2 mm are in the band protruding under the mudguards, easy to eliminate, plus 1 mm in the top of the walls of the lower hull.
After these easy deletions, one has to delete further material on the hull sides under the front plate, relocating back the tensioners of the front wheel; this gives the further advantage to reduce the length of about 2 mm (it was eccessive of about 5 mm in total).
Then one can reduce some mm (up to 3) on the rear and deck, in locations still to identify.
Then the main difficulty: if one has a couple of good trunnions from another kit and a set of good tracks the work can prosecute, else the too large one of the Trumpeter kit won't find space and is wrong anyway.
It is a lot of work, that has some sense only if one can find the pieces in his scratch box, else it doesn't deserve to spend money for aftermarket items.
 _GOTOTOP