_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Dragon M60: How Good Or Terrible?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:45 AM UTC
I seem to get mixed messages from different places so I hope somebody have some definite answer.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:55 AM UTC
It looks like a M60 when done, but how much are you into accuracy issues?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 01:19 PM UTC
It has a few issues, but isn't too bad. I did a full build review of it here on Armorama.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It has a few issues, but isn't too bad. I did a full build review of it here on Armorama.

I thought this excerpt from that review was interesting:

"A decent looking model can be built from this kit, but replacing the gun barrel is a must. I also suggest replacing the gun mantlet cover and commander's cupola. Luckily all these parts are available from aftermarket manufacturers, although they are designed for other M60 (or M48 in the case of the mantlet cover) kits, so may require some adjustments to fit."

Has anyone compared the cost of an Italeri/Esci M60A1 kit + an M60 conversion to the cost of the DML kit + gun tube + dust cover + cupola, plus the effort to make them fit?

KL
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anyone compared the cost of an Italeri/Esci M60A1 kit + an M60 conversion to the cost of the DML kit + gun tube + dust cover + cupola, plus the effort to make them fit?

KL

I did and ended up getting the Esci kit plus the Def model conversion for this build:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/250539#2119117

Got the Italeri kit for 20€ and the DEF set, which inlcudes AFV Club T97 tracks, for 50€. Retail price for the Dragon kit is 65€ in Greece.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I thought this excerpt from that review was interesting:

"A decent looking model can be built from this kit, but replacing the gun barrel is a must. I also suggest replacing the gun mantlet cover and commander's cupola. Luckily all these parts are available from aftermarket manufacturers, although they are designed for other M60 (or M48 in the case of the mantlet cover) kits, so may require some adjustments to fit."

KL

The comments you highlighted are from Pavel. I found the barrel and mantlet to be fine. I did replace the commander's cupola though as the kit one is too flat. The kit does allow an M60 slick to be built for a reasonable price as the conversion is quite expensive.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 05:22 AM UTC
Build any Academy Magach kit and you'll have the cupola and gun barrel left over as spares. Build the Italeri M60 blazer and you'll have a standard gun barrel and cupola left over as well.
Garrand
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 07:57 AM UTC
When I did mine, I replaced the cupola with an Academy one robbed from one of their Israeli M60 kits, replaced the mantled with one from Tiger Model Designs, & a new gun barrel from someone I don't recall (it was Korean, & for the Academy M48A5 kit). Pretty sure I got the M60 kit at discount. I did not replace the searchlight though that should be done too (I have a spare from a Tamiya M48A3 in my parts bin I might still use). All in all I think my build is cheaper than if I went with an Italeri M60A1 kit & a Legends or DEF conversion. That being said, if you can get an old Esci M60A1 kit at a very deep discount, the viability may shift back. Still, with the issues of the Dragon kit & some of the accuracy issues, I think the base kit is better detailed than the Esci/Italeri kit. The best option would obviously be the AFV Club kit with a conversion, but that'll depend on how much in love with the M60 you are (sure it will start getting into the over $100 range).
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:23 AM UTC
If you haven't already purchased the Dragon kit, Takoms M-60A1 is due out shortly. I'm sure they will be releasing the other types too. It will no doubt be cheaper than the other alternative, AFV Club.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you haven't already purchased the Dragon kit, Takoms M-60A1 is due out shortly. I'm sure they will be releasing the other types too. It will no doubt be cheaper than the other alternative, AFV Club.

Thanks. I can sit and wait.
 _GOTOTOP