_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Warlord Games/Bolt Action
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 12:30 PM UTC
Seeking opinions, on Warlord Games/Bolt Action armor. Are their kits worth the cost? I have heard that they are nice, but are a bit pricey.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 07:17 PM UTC
It depends... on what you want to do with them. If it‘s for wargaming then go for it (Rubicon is a good alternative, too). If it‘s for scale modeling I suggest 1/48 scale. It also depends on the models. Sone of the older resin stuff like the M24 and Shermans needs quite a bit of TLC to make it look like the real thing. The newer resin (e.g. M18) is real nice and the plastic stuff is made by Italeri, simple, simplified but ok. Ask me if there‘s anything in particular, especially in the US range, I‘ve built most of those.

Cheers!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:08 PM UTC
Thanks Stefan. Mainly, I was looking for something that goes together well and to practice painting and weathering on. Guess I will just pick up some old Tamiya kits. I wish there were local players, near me. Always loved table-top war games.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:59 PM UTC
I've got over 40 of the Warlord plastic kits . For the most part they're not too bad , but they are made for gaming . so your Panzer III road wheel pair is one wide wheel , and your track is an upper and lower run with 2 curved end pieces . Most details are molded on , like tools and tow cables . The early kits had only the commander's hatch that could be positioned open , the later kits have most crew hatches open . Some kits like the Panzer III , Tiger II , Char B and KV have various options , turrets , guns , etc . There is another company making 28mm - 1/56 scale vehicles in plastic , called Rubicon . Much better detail than the Warlord stuff IMO , except their track detail is lacking . Their SU kit lets you build both the SU-122 and SU-85 upper hulls which you can swap out on the single lower hull , a great option for war games . Rubicon also make add on sets for their vehicles , a radio set with crew for the 250/251 half tracks , a couple of versions of the 20mm turret found on the 250 half track , the short 75mm gun mounts for the half tracks , etc , plus they've branched out into pewter and plastic crew figure packs
 _GOTOTOP