_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
how damaging is windex to resin
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 09:40 AM UTC
wanted to repaint metal tracks already pinned. didn't quite work out. sections broke away, but fortunately I had enuff pins to set things right. one good thing came of it. got the shade of metallic grey I was looking for, from a mix of mm flat black and steel. just hope they don't fall apart even more. not a lotta pins left
L33tg33k
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 09:47 AM UTC
It shouldn’t be damaging at all. I have run into this issue with enamel paints and styrene tracks. I suggest you set the tracks with superglue(ca) and then do your final weathering. But windex isn’t anything but ammonia and water, so it shouldn’t be affecting the resin at all.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 05:02 PM UTC
I agree, Windex shouldn't be damaging to resin, with one caveat. Ammonia is commonly used to remove Acrylic polishes, like Future/Kleer/Pledge w/Future. As such it can be a caustic solution, and on poor quality resin it might have an effect. I've experienced brittleness in resin after using household ammonia (which is usually a 10-20% solution depending on brand) So, I recommend testing the resin by soaking it in ammonia, just use a piece of the pour stub.
VR, Russ
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 11:20 PM UTC
well, that's something of a relief. not gonna wonder if all these pins are gonna disintegrate on me. I kinda doubt masterclub'll use cheap resin. wonder why sections fell apart, tho
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2018 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

well, that's something of a relief. not gonna wonder if all these pins are gonna disintegrate on me. I kinda doubt masterclub'll use cheap resin. wonder why sections fell apart, tho

I'd still be careful, the thinner the resin, the more likelihood of it becoming brittle with harsh chemicals-- but Windex, which is a mild ammonia solution, should be OK. Why are you using Windex in the first place though? If you're trying to remove mold release, just use warm soapy water. Windex and ammonia will have detrimental effects on some acrylic paints if there is any residue left on the parts.
VR, Russ
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2018 - 07:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'd still be careful, the thinner the resin, the more likelihood of it becoming brittle with harsh chemicals-- but Windex, which is a mild ammonia solution, should be OK. Why are you using Windex in the first place though? If you're trying to remove mold release, just use warm soapy water. Windex and ammonia will have detrimental effects on some acrylic paints if there is any residue left on the parts.
VR, Russ

wasn't happy with how the tracks turned out after paintng, white metal. wanted to redo them. after the "treatment" I ended up with how I originally wanted them to look. just gotta figure out now what kind of weathering to do that doesn't involve mudification. not a huge follower of rust everything that's in continuous use
 _GOTOTOP