_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Discolored Paint Surface Question
stevedb227
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 03:28 PM UTC
I have a paint problem. The model is not armor but the paint is the issue. I have a 1/72 U-Boat (finished 2 years ago) and was cleaning it as I do regularly. I use a can of compressed air as always and with low pressure clean the surface. I inadvertantly tilted the can which caused the cold freon to spray onto the paint work which has turned whitish now. I had immediately tried cotton buds with warm water which initially made the effect disappear but is appeared back when dry. Has anyone else experienced this and is there anything I can do to minimize the damage? (I have a photo but could not figure out how to attach it).

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 09:05 PM UTC
OK, it sounds like it messed with the surface of the paint. If it was fine when it was wet, maybe putting some Future on it and letting it dry, then applying flat clear would get you back to where you were before the chilling accident. Just a guess. You might try to replicate the problem using the freon and an old kit just to try the future before jumping on the U boat.
stevedb227
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 08:09 AM UTC
Many thanks for your response Greg. I will try and duplicate it on an old kit. The future idea sounds quite good. Thanks again.
 _GOTOTOP