_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Spare wheel Sherman HVSS
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 01:30 AM UTC
Any suggestion regarding HVSS type spare wheels for a Korea Sherman? Preferable just the wheel without any attachement bolts/brackets.
Shapeways have some 3D printed sets but I'm trying to figure out if there's any plastic or resin options available. I guess there are a few options in different IDF kits/detail sets but I would assume that they come with some bolt heads molded into the rim.

Ideas?

Cheers,
/E
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 02:10 AM UTC
Only know of shapeways which look good.
Dan
Removed by original poster on 08/22/18 - 14:43:36 (GMT).
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 04:27 AM UTC
I've got a couple of the Shapeways ones. They're OK, but it's a bit of an expensive way to get one.

I think the TWS IDF tank detail set has a couple of spares wheels in it, but that's even more expensive and nothing else in it is useful for Korea.

Does Tiger Model Designs do them?

I might have some spare Dragon HVSS wheels somewhere from a part-used suspension set if you want to try drilling out the bolts and hubs. Yours for the cost of postage from UK if I can find them..
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 06:35 AM UTC
It's not all that difficult to make one from a spare HVSS wheel if you have one. But you don't, yeah, that's a problem.
berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 08:13 AM UTC
It looks like you live pretty close to me. I'm pretty sure I have 1 in the spares box in plastic. If I do, I could send you one.

John
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 03:23 PM UTC
Tiger Model Designs has a full set of resin HVSS wheels, but no spares. The wheels come with all bolts and hubcaps in place, so you'd need to do a lot of drilling and sanding. I've been looking for HVSS spare wheels as well.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 04:29 PM UTC
Doesn't Tamiya sell whole sprues for $8.00? Seems to me you could get as many spares as you'd ever need, plus whatever parts come on that sprue.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Doesn't Tamiya sell whole sprues for $8.00? Seems to me you could get as many spares as you'd ever need, plus whatever parts come on that sprue.

A spare wheel should have open bolt holes and no hub cap. The Tamiya parts have these molded in place, as do the resin replacement items. Only the Shapeways part is correct in this detail, but it is printed with the Korean War mounting brackets in place, which would have to be sanded off for my WW2 vehicle.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

A spare wheel should have open bolt holes and no hub cap. The Tamiya parts have these molded in place, as do the resin replacement items. Only the Shapeways part is correct in this detail, but it is printed with the Korean War mounting brackets in place, which would have to be sanded off for my WW2 vehicle.

True, but if I get a cheap set of wheels (maybe a "scratch & dent" kit at a show?) it'd be worth the effort to drill out all those holes rather than spend a fortune on 3D prints. But we each decide where that line in the sand gets drawn...
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 11:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...it'd be worth the effort to drill out all those holes rather than spend a fortune on 3D prints. But we each decide where that line in the sand gets drawn...

Exactly. And by one account you still have to remove the Korean War bracket. It seems removing the bolts is far easier. I had to make a spare for a Centurion once. The old school by Tamiya. I did the exact same thing, except I used a Merkava wheel instead, so I had to remove the hub as well. I remember the job taking less than five minutes.

Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 08:35 PM UTC
Get the sprue with the hull side spare wheels from the M51 kit. If you're going to get a spare sprue, get one with precisely what you want. I've thought of doing that to get a few HVSS wheels for spare storage.

Or just drill out a piece you already have.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 09:24 PM UTC
Yep - I was assuming I'd drill out a "mounted" roadwheel, since each E8 kit has 24 of them! No bracket involved...
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 - 03:30 AM UTC
Thanks for your input guys. I have the AFV Club HVSS set but wanted to know if there were other options out there. The thing I like about AM sets is that you can buy them, put them in the kit box, put the kit box back on the shelf, and never having to do any modelling at all

Regarding Shapeways there are at least two sets of HVSS Sherman wheels that isn't the set with Tokyo depot modifications:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/RD7HPX32M/wheels-and-hubs-set-for-e8-shermans?optionId=65785485&li=marketplace

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ML7XPX6E9/c135844-rim-and-disc-assembly-1-35?optionId=64106753&li=marketplace

News for some perhaps?

I'll probably start playing around with the AFV Club wheels or perhaps some resin ones from the old AA M51 detail set.

Cheers,
/E
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 - 09:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for your input guys. I have the AFV Club HVSS set but wanted to know if there were other options out there. The thing I like about AM sets is that you can buy them, put them in the kit box, put the kit box back on the shelf, and never having to do any modelling at all

Regarding Shapeways there are at least two sets of HVSS Sherman wheels that isn't the set with Tokyo depot modifications:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/RD7HPX32M/wheels-and-hubs-set-for-e8-shermans?optionId=65785485&li=marketplace

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ML7XPX6E9/c135844-rim-and-disc-assembly-1-35?optionId=64106753&li=marketplace

News for some perhaps?

I'll probably start playing around with the AFV Club wheels or perhaps some resin ones from the old AA M51 detail set.

Cheers,
/E

Very glad you located those. Thanks! The search function on Shapeways is very hit and miss.
 _GOTOTOP