_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
What Stuff Did ISIS Manage To Get?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 08:07 AM UTC
Yes, it lists things in Wikipedia, but I am not too trusting of that source. Anyone have better information?
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 08:29 AM UTC
You might find this useful: http://spioenkop.blogspot.com/search/label/Islamic%20State
paulie100
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 05:34 PM UTC
Thanks very much for the link, very interesting.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 12:12 AM UTC
In addition to all the Rusiian/Soviet vehuicles that the above article focuses on, they also captured a bunch of US-made equipment when Iraqi units abandoned them. These include a few Abrams, lots of M113s, HMMWVs, and some other equipment. Thankfully, the Abrams turned out to be too technical for them and they weere mostly abandoned and/or broke down.

Some examples.

long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 10:13 AM UTC
It would be neat to depict an ISIS Abrams, namely to show ISIS's failure to use it properly as described above. Is there an actual M1A1 Abrams out there which is like the one given to Iraq? Meng has an M1A1 kit, but I don't know much about it.
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 10:22 AM UTC
Or sold them to the Chinese
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It would be neat to depict an ISIS Abrams, namely to show ISIS's failure to use it properly as described above. Is there an actual M1A1 Abrams out there which is like the one given to Iraq? Meng has an M1A1 kit, but I don't know much about it.

Iraq received/is receiving 140 M1A1Ms, which are modified M1A1SA (Situational Awareness) tanks. They are modified for Iraq by deleting some of the most high tech features of newer US Abrams.

The Iraqi M1A1M includes the following features:

Driver’s vision enhancements. BAE System’s DVRC rear-view thermal camera.

A power distribution box on the front glacis.

A rear slave receptacle.

A tank-infantry phone that is mounted on the right rear of the tank, and can be picked up by accompanying infantry.

Other than the above, it looks like any other standard M1A1 tank.

All of these are available in more modern M1A1/A2 kits such as those by Rye Field and Meng.
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 03:31 PM UTC
Sabot publishing has a good book on Iraqi M1s, even comes with a decal sheet.
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 08:21 PM UTC
the article do not mention ISIS used tanks during Palmyra offensive and defensive operation.
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 09:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the article do not mention ISIS used tanks during Palmyra offensive and defensive operation.

Palmyra is in Syria so it would be highly doubt full that isis moved iraqi abrams tanks to that location, they would most likely used some of the russian tanks they captured from Assad's army.
Removed by original poster on 08/28/18 - 18:19:01 (GMT).
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 11:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Although I think a lot can ge depicted in diorama's ( being the one who, from a historic point of view, made an NSDAP-parade dio which is now on exebition in a museum )
I must say that any diorama depicting men who beheaded innocent people, executed them in the most disgusting way, raped women, threw gay from the roofs and are the main course and source the world is terrorised by attacks on innocent civilians is not very tastefull.
Sorry, but these "muslims" are murderous animals, not worth the time ànd money for a dio.

The same can be said for the Nazis in WWII but people have no issues with building dios of them. I think the issue some have is that it is a very recent/current conflict. To me, it does't make a difference. I focus on the vehicles and not the politics. I don't see it as glorification, but capturing history; good or bad.
Removed by original poster on 08/28/18 - 18:19:20 (GMT).
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To me, it does't make a difference. I focus on the vehicles and not the politics. I don't see it as glorification, but capturing history; good or bad.

I concur, it's about modelling and not politics. I have in the past built a diorama depicting desh (isis) with a captured syrian bmp and it hasn't been an issue even when I displayed it at the Scottish national ipms show.

Although there are some people out there that are he'll bent on making a storm in a tea cup and will find any excuse to create a drama
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 05:37 AM UTC
Not the moral police again...
 _GOTOTOP