_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M51 trailblazer (Gordon)
ITALIANMLRS
Visit this Community
Treviso, Italy
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 05:49 PM UTC
Good Morning to everyone!!!
I'm finding some information about that israelian's tank. It's an ARV tank based in m51 super Sherman's hull. have You got any draws, photos, book references? Have someone on this forum ever built It?
Best regard
Alvise
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 06:03 PM UTC
There's a 140 picture walkaround on svsm.org :

http://svsm.org/gallery/trailblazer

Welcome to Armorama Alvise

H.P.
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 02:40 AM UTC
I'm always surprised they used a cast hull as the basis. A welded hull might have been easier for mounting all the equipment, especially the crane base and right side stowage boxes. Although there were very few welded-hull M51s there were plenty of M50s available.

The Trailbreaker was not an ARV. IDF had M32 as ARVs for Sherman-equipped units. It was a combat engineering vehicle. The name is a clue.

Also, the M51 isn't a "Super Sherman". It's just an M51. The Super Sherman was more correctly an HVSS 76mm before the 105mm conversion - which began before the Cummins engine conversion.
ITALIANMLRS
Visit this Community
Treviso, Italy
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 03:28 AM UTC
Thanks to You guys for the information. I know that site, there are a lots of pic but i'm looking for a draws in the 3wiew. Dosen't matter i'll try to scratch built one...i Hope...one day....
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 04:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm always surprised they used a cast hull as the basis. A welded hull might have been easier for mounting all the equipment, especially the crane base and right side stowage boxes. Although there were very few welded-hull M51s there were plenty of M50s available.

The IDF appreciated more the cast hull and also they had used them for the last upgrade to the M51. So the most well maintained hulls available for the conversion were cast hulls. Just my guess though... Plus they had also used some welded hulls for the Soltam mortar and the sph and the Mar240 and 290 rocket platforms.

I would love to see a model of this vehicle, perhaps Asuka will make one someday.

Another link with photos: http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/trailblazer.htm
ITALIANMLRS
Visit this Community
Treviso, Italy
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hi...
So if i want ti scrath built a trailblazer wich Is the better kit ti start? The Academy m-51 or a M4A1 Sherman?
Best regard
Alvise
jps
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 - 12:32 AM UTC
I would use a M51 chassis so that you have the changes to the rear upper hull. That said I would consider the Tamiya kit just because it is a better kit in general. I am not a Shermanaholic but I believe the Askua suspension is better if you have a HVSS Askua suspension it would dress it up some.
 _GOTOTOP