_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Mirrors and Lights
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 02:08 AM UTC
Hey guys!

I just completed my first kit in about four years after taking some time off to pursue other interests. Now I'm looking to improve on things with my second one. So I'm seeking some sage advice!

How do you handle mirrors, headlights and spotlights? Do you paint the back of the lenses silver. On my M1117 Guardian I painted the outside then gave 'em a couple drops of Future. On my side mirrors I also gave them the silver / Future treatment. I was thinking that silver Mylar might work better; but I'd like to hear about what you've done that works.

Thanks all!

RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 02:39 AM UTC
If you can paint the front of the reflector, gloss black enamel under Alclad (or anyone else’s) chrome would work. If you can only paint the rear of the transparency, there are some impressive chrome paint pens that might do the job. Molotow is the manufacturer and they are on Amazon if you can’t get them elsewhere. Obviously you can’t undercoat it in that circumstance😉
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 02:48 AM UTC
There are several options available to you, depending on how it's represented in the kit. For solid plastic lights, I like to drill them out and simply replace the lights with MV lenses, available through Walthers.
Alternately, you can drill them out as above, then cover with foil in the back - it doesn't have to be bare metal foil, although that works very well. Just burnish plain old foil into the recess, then level the light in clay. Now mix two part clear resin and tease it into the void with a toothpick. Once you have filled it, add a little more. Surface tension will cause it to form a convex surface. Once it sets you'll never have to worry about it falling out as with MV lenses.

For kits with a clear plastic "lens" that represents the sealed beam headlight, you can do the same thing with the foil as mentioned above. You can even add a small piece of stretched clear sprue in the center to represent a filament housing.v

Some companies now sell mirror (and light) kits for specific vehicles. Foil works great for mirrors though, and you probably already have it on hand.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 07:29 AM UTC
Echelons Fine Details makes a peel and stick mirror set for the M1117.

SKP Model makes a headlight and taillight set for the M1117.

If the cost is not an issue they are a huge time saver and look great.
 _GOTOTOP