_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Canadian Armor
Discuss all types of Canadian Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Μ4Α2Ε8 four color camo
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 01:46 AM UTC
I am trying to find more photos of vehicles painted in this camo from the Ontario Regiment around 1971-1972. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have already built the model and trying to find the left side pattern and how the wheels were painted.

Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 02:44 AM UTC
Wow, now that’s something you don’t see everyday
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 03:02 AM UTC
Cool camo! I had no idea the Canadians still had M4s in the ‘70s...
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cool camo! I had no idea the Canadians still had M4s in the ‘70s...

By those years they were only used by a couple of Reserve units. The Ontario Regiment was one of the last if not the last Regiment to still have them in service. It appears only the Ontario Regiment painted their Sherman’s in this unique camouflage. The colours appear to be the same as what was used on some Canadian M113A1s and Lynx C&Rs during that same time frame.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The colours appear to be the same as what was used on some Canadian M113A1s and Lynx C&Rs during that same time frame.

And Centurions?

ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 04:08 AM UTC
Apart from the obviously deleted bow-gun, what was different from the original configuration?
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The colours appear to be the same as what was used on some Canadian M113A1s and Lynx C&Rs during that same time frame.

And Centurions?

No....the Canadian Centurions by that time in Germany (like in the pic you posted) were in a three colour camouflage using standard Canadian colours of medium green, olive green, and black....also used on the majority of Canadian soft sk8ns and AFVs from the 70s to late 90s.

But, the Centurions did have multiple different camouflage patterns during their service...about six different ones that I have tracked.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Apart from the obviously deleted bow-gun, what was different from the original configuration?

The bow gun was just not mounted...not deleted. It wasn’t needed for peacetime training.

Obviously being a M4A2E8 it was diesel powered so the back deck and rear hull louvres were different from a M4A3E8.

The antennas and mounts would be related to the version of radio used by Canada at that time...it looks like the old C42 set for the old Shermans with no change over to the US radios or antennas/mounts.
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 04:35 AM UTC
Wow, I'm doing the same thing too. which kit did you use? I used Tamiyas M4A3E8 and added an after market A2 engine deck and TMD's post war split exhaust deflectors plus some other bits.
As for colour I believe it's only 3 colours: sand/stone, green and olive.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would say that would be accurate looking at the colour images and comparing them to the colours used on the M113A1s and Lynxes from the 8CH.

What are you guys planning to use to create the turret call signs...cut out stencils or decals?
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 05:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I would say that would be accurate looking at the colour images and comparing them to the colours used on the M113A1s and Lynxes from the 8CH.

What are you guys planning to use to create the turret call signs...cut out stencils or decals?

as for me I haven't got far enough to think about the callsigns yet. probably stencils though.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, I'm doing the same thing too. which kit did you use? I used Tamiyas M4A3E8 and added an after market A2 engine deck and TMD's post war split exhaust deflectors plus some other bits.

I used Dragon kit no 6188 and added the HVSS suspension and AFV Club tracks.

I think that there are 2 shades of green on the turret and not an olive/brown shade.I am using this as reference for my colors

I need to change my antennas now that you mentioned it.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Check the black and white photo I posted, you can clearly see that there are four color shades on the tank.

I will use call signs from the Star Decals set for Centurions no. 35907, it includes some useful decals for the letter B and paint the II lines.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 06:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I used Dragon kit no 6188 and added the HVSS suspension and AFV Club tracks.

I think that there are 2 shades of green on the turret and not an olive/brown shade.I am using this as reference for my colors

I need to change my antennas now that you mentioned it.

Be cautious with that scheme in the Centurion profile Centurion drawing....it is a four colour scheme used only on the Centurions in Canada and Germany. The grey colour was very distinct.

If you look at the image with 11A you can see the colour on the turret that wraps on to the barrel is OD.

Remember...these are 1970s photos...not the high res images of today...colour variations occur.
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Check the black and white photo I posted, you can clearly see that there are four color shades on the tank.

I will use call signs from the Star Decals set for Centurions no. 35907, it includes some useful decals for the letter B and paint the II lines.

Sorry mine friend I don't see it. I'm using these as a guide line.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-5O7CzdPtLY6rzKiknv3ZnrIxG1eoEWf/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wDmodN33QsMuy762jItvgo7EU2fwL_df/view?usp=sharing

Just to clear things up the callsign on the turret it's actually an eleven not II. ie; eleven, eleven A, eleven B so forth.

ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The antennas and mounts would be related to the version of radio used by Canada at that time...it looks like the old C42 set for the old Shermans with no change over to the US radios or antennas/mounts.

do you know where I can get the antennae mounts?
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just to clear things up the callsign on the turret it's actually an eleven not II. ie; eleven, eleven A, eleven B so forth.

Got it about the callsign, I thought it was a Roman numeral. 11 it is then.

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

do you know where I can get the antennae mounts?

They used the British style antennas and mounts with the C42 set. Do you have an AFV Club Centurion kit to grab them from?
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Got it about the callsign, I thought it was a Roman numeral. 11 it is then.

I think you are factoring shadows for a second green colour. Take a look at the close up of 11A...you can see the OD on the turret and barrel.

To be technical on the call signs they are actually pronounced...11, 11A, 11B...One-One, One-One Alpha, One-One Bravo.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 06:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you are factoring shadows for a second green colour. Take a look at the close up of 11A...you can see the OD on the turret and barrel.

To be technical on the call signs they are actually pronounced...11, 11A, 11B...One-One, One-One Alpha, One-One Bravo.

You might be correct. Perhaps the photos were black and white and then colorised.

ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 06:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They used the British style antennas and mounts with the C42 set. Do you have an AFV Club Centurion kit to grab them from?

Nope unfortunately. only have the NATO cent. but i think I purged it of un-needed parts. grr.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nope unfortunately. only have the NATO cent. but i think I purged it of un-needed parts. grr.

I would think any of the inverted cone shaped British No.19 antenna mounts should work....various kits and AM parts.
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 09:38 AM UTC
3 colours plus black for the C/S

Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 09:56 AM UTC
I always liked the multi-colour Centurions. Had no idea any M4s were ever painted thus. Reminiscent of USMC M4s in PTO.

I believe this is the correct antenna base. You could probably make it up from parts of one of the No19 base sets: Panzer Art, maybe

ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe this is the correct antenna base. You could probably make it up from parts of one of the No19 base sets: Panzer Art, maybe

Lucky me! Accurate Armour just put out a No. 19 antennae base set.
 _GOTOTOP