_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
recommendations for a "great" 1/35 M1A2 kit
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 10:55 AM UTC
I am seeking advice, comment, opinion, or recommendation as to what might be the overall "best" 1/35 styrene kit to get to build an M1A2 w/ TUSK II as currently seen / stationed in Germany or other Europe setting, or in S. Korea, as versus in the "sand". I am vaguely familiar with some of the offerings by Academy, Meng, etc., but am far removed from either good knowledge of any kits OR of the actual M1A2 in its current configurations, so...!

Any comment, suggestion, etc. ,would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! in advance for your assistance!

Bob :-)
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 11:40 AM UTC
I've built both the Meng and Rye Field Models Abrams, they are both good choices. The Rye Field can be found with a full interior.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 12:42 PM UTC
I liked the Dragon SEP-V2 kit.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 12:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I liked the Dragon SEP-V2 kit.

I'm glad you liked it. I found the fit of the rear hull (the corners) to be horrible. I know it wasn't me, even review photos show problems in this area.

I like the Meng kit. I may be biased - I'm one of about a platoon of dudes who helped with the research on that kit.
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 04:25 PM UTC
I've built both the RFM and Academy kits and have the Meng USMC M1A1/ US Army Tusk I on the shelf. Accuracy issues aside both the RFM and Meng kits have higher parts counts than the Academy kit and detail is generally, but not always, a little crisper. The Academy kit was an easier, quicker and more fun build for me, although neither kit had any real fit issues. I suspect the Meng kit will build pretty much like the RFM kit. Academy kit # 13504 adds new parts to their earlier release to represent the newer configuration of ballistic plates on the turret. The kit also comes with a set of DEF Model individual link track, and some new photo etch. All the other parts remain from the earlier release which means lots of goodies for the parts bin. The kit also retains the rubber band tracks if you don't want to mess with links. Overall, the Academy kit may be the way to go, it already has what you need to build a current Abrams. The decal options are for one overall CARC green top and sides with tan lower hull and running gear M1 and two in overall tan. Hope this helps, Good Luck.

ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 08:43 AM UTC
Stuart, is that your SEP-V2 ? If so, GREAT work ! On a quick scroll thru I first thought it was a 1/1 close up !
how about a few more pics, PLEASE !
Thanks !
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 09:57 AM UTC
Thank you for the good words. Really fun build. More here https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/243384#2053410
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 11:48 PM UTC
Stuart, THANKS !
!
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 07:32 AM UTC
Bob,
So which one did you decide on?

I feel like it's just a coin toss at this time because Academy, Meng and RMF kits are all very good (pros and cons for each) with their unique goods and bads. Have you read Vodnik's comparison blog: https://vodnik.net/pages/M1A2comp/m1a2comp_01.htm? That should be helpful, too.

James
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 03:15 PM UTC
James L.;

Hey! Well... It's a difficult choice! Men, Academy, and RMF all offer, as you say, both pros and cons. I checked out the comparison blog... Maybe Meng sorta "won" that, in a small way. Alas, All the current kits actually look very nice in so far as from reviews and build photos I've been able to find, so there is no obvious "best of the litter" for me to blindly order up!. In the end, it may well come down to which one (or, gee.... TWO! ) I come across cheapest on some e-vendor or evil-bay! I THINK that I sort of lean towards the Academy -504 kit at this moment, but vacillation and mind-changing are the daily curse on this!

It's probably just going to be a spur-of-moment buy, and I'm sure from what all have said that whichever I get will (proviso I do a good job for my end) yield me a neat-looking build! WHEN I actually buy, I'll post my choice here!

Cheers! Bob
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 04:29 AM UTC
Meng (drops mike).

Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 04:43 AM UTC
Right, all good choices. Meng's M1A2 kit is good. The Academy 13504 kit is good, plus it has DEF model's aftermarket indi tracks, which alone are worth $25 on their own. Excellent tracks for sure. Have fun, Bob!
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2018 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Meng (drops mike).

Bill: SUPER NICE!^ I love it! Hey, it's a great argument for getting and building 2 kits!

Bob
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2018 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bill: SUPER NICE!^ I love it! Hey, it's a great argument for getting and building 2 kits!

Bob

Thanks, Bob, it's a super kit. None of the fit issues of the Dragon. I can't comment on the RFM Abrams, but I liked the Meng enough to buy their USMC version from Gulf War, so yeah, buy TWO kits!
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2018 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bob

Thanks, Bob, it's a super kit. None of the fit issues of the Dragon. I can't comment on the RFM Abrams, but I liked the Meng enough to buy their USMC version from Gulf War, so yeah, buy TWO kits!

That kit has a Gulf War option?
gecon31
Visit this Community
Szczecin, Poland
KitMaker: 204 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 07:16 AM UTC
I recommend RFM and Academy. Right now i got both on my workbench, but i have converted RFM with interior from ordinary m1a2 to SEP V2. Real good kits, both of them

RYE FIELD MODEL

ACADEMY

Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 01:03 PM UTC
Every one I build is great!

Okay, they’re not all A2’s 😎
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 08:57 PM UTC
Hey guys !

Having looked at most new alternatives available on the M1 subject, I haven't identified any real overall significant improvement to part from my "trusted" Dragon M1A1 / A2 kits.
Interior and engine are currently not my priority so again no need for me to switch to a different kit.
That said I have noticed fit issues on later/newer DRAGON M1 kits, but my stash on M1s comprises mostly of the earlier production batches causing no real challenges.
What I have been doing recently on some kits like the Leopard 2's from MENG and TAMIYA is to fill the engine room with cheap, water based foam designed for use in the construction field.
Good thing about this method is to add "strength and level" to the rear hollow part of the hull .... especially most Leopard 2 kits have this issue of the turret rear having to close distance to engine deck due to the lack of structural integrity caused by the overall dimensions of the rear and the lack of any bulkheads for support.
So instead of starch building any bulkheads I tried this ... and it works perfectly !
Water based foam does not connect with the plastic enabling it to be removed very easily if required. I do tape/fixate the rear decks before inserting the foam letting any excess foam expand into the turret compartment to be removed after drying out.
Tried it first on the MENG Leopard 2A4 and on the DRAGON M1A2 and this is, I believe, a cheap and quick fix to "stabilize" any kit in need as can be seen below:

Hope this helps !

Cheers
Christopher
 _GOTOTOP