_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Dragon Nashorn Build Question
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 401 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hello all,

I was wondering how one is meant to attach part MA5 (photo-etched part) in DML kit 6386. For those who do not have this kit, part MA5 is what looks like a rain guard above the front right hatch.

Anyone have ideas whether it's attached to the plate itself above the hatch or somehow to the hatch opening?

oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 01:31 AM UTC
If you take a look at Nashorn pictures, most of them don't have the rain guard around the radio operators hatch. You could leave it off and still be accurate.

Jesse
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you take a look at Nashorn pictures, most of them don't have the rain guard around the radio operators hatch. You could leave it off and still be accurate.

Jesse

You are correct in that most of the reference shots show the guard missing. If I can’t get this sorted out that may be the best option.
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 02:58 AM UTC
The part from Dragon is very stiff and if you try to anneal it, it melts away! Best to either replace it with sheet plastic or not use it at all.

Jesse
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The part from Dragon is very stiff and if you try to anneal it, it melts away! Best to either replace it with sheet plastic or not use it at all.

Jesse

Would you happen to know where the part goes? Is it just attached to the glacis plate above the hatch?
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 03:08 AM UTC
Hi, looking at the instructions I would say that it is meant to attach to the plate, so that it surrounds the opening. Presumably the intention was that it stops water dripping off the sloping plate through the hatch when it is opened; if it was attached to the hatch itself, it wouldn't do that. The vertical blue arrow seems to confirm that in that it is pointing to the plate, not the hatch.

It's one of my least favourite things - a piece of PE that attaches edge on with nothing to locate it. Like sticking a piece of paper edge on to another piece.

Personally I'd ignore it unless you get it fixed on right first time.

This photo makes it look like it was never there as there's no trace of it, although there is a big hole in the deck not too far away which might have ripped it away...

KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, looking at the instructions I would say that it is meant to attach to the plate, so that it surrounds the opening. Presumably the intention was that it stops water dripping off the sloping plate through the hatch when it is opened; if it was attached to the hatch itself, it wouldn't do that. The vertical blue arrow seems to confirm that in that it is pointing to the plate, not the hatch.

It's one of my least favourite things - a piece of PE that attaches edge on with nothing to locate it. Like sticking a piece of paper edge on to another piece.

Personally I'd ignore it unless you get it fixed on right first time.

This photo makes it look like it was never there as there's no trace of it, although there is a big hole in the deck not too far away which might have ripped it away...

Thank you, that’s good enough for me. My modelling skill is decent, but not to the point where I can confidently stick the PE on edge to the styrene, since that’s the case. It’ll be staying off.

_GOTOTOP