_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Best masking fluid?
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hi Gang,
like to hear your opinions about masking fluids. Best will be a products that available in Europe.
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 05:11 AM UTC
The only one I have tried is Humbrol Maskol, which does the job, but is a pain to remove as it gets everywhere. Will follow this thread with interest.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 06:00 AM UTC
I like Microscale, I’m pretty sure it’s available in GB, not sure about the Continent. However, it pays to keep it mixed up though, since the metal flakes embedded in it (to show where it’s been painted) like to settle to the bottom of the container. If you don’t mix it, it dries clear, which makes it a pain to figure out where you’re applying it and hard to find a corner to peel it off.
VR, Russ
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 06:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like Microscale, I’m pretty sure it’s available in GB, not sure about the Continent. However, it pays to keep it mixed up though, since the metal flakes embedded in it (to show where it’s been painted) like to settle to the bottom of the container. If you don’t mix it, it dries clear, which makes it a pain to figure out where you’re applying it and hard to find a corner to peel it off.
VR, Russ

can it be used on all paints ? I think I read somewhere you can only use it on enamel
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 08:30 AM UTC
hmmm...I've used Microscale liquid mask over some acrylics, bu not all. It seems to work fine on Vallejo, Tamiya (which is actually an acrylic lacquer), and Gunze Aqueous. And it works fine on Lacquers and enamels. You might have to experiment. I have not heard that. I know some other liquid masks use ammonia or ammonia compounds as a carrier (this is what attacks acrylic finishes), but I don't think Microscale does, at least it doesn't smell like it.
VR, Russ
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 01:41 PM UTC
One thing I've used on small areas like over bolt heads and stuff is plain, old PVA (white) glue. Here in the US it's sold most under the name Elmer's glue. I use it if I'm using terra cotta paint to simulate a non-slip surface. It works well and can be easily removed with a toothpick.
 _GOTOTOP