_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Mraps
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 05:16 AM UTC
Who makes the best kit of a MRAP in 1/35?

Thank you,
Mike
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 05:21 AM UTC
Which one? Bronco, Meng, Panda and Kinetic all offer different kits. I have experience with the Bronco kits and like them. They are complex but fit is good and they include a lot of detail.
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 06:46 AM UTC
Vague question, hard to give an answer.

I have made too MRAP kit and I think the medal of the worst model of MRAP is assigned to the Bushmaster from Showcase Models.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hi Mike -

I've built three versions of the Maxxpro MRAP, if this is the type you're thinking of (as opposed to a Cougar or MATV) - including Legend (resin), Kinetic, and Panda. As to the best, they each have strengths and weaknesses.

The Kinetic is not bad and not too expensive, the Legend is nice and pretty expensive. Finally, the Panda - it is the only one of the three that includes independent front and rear suspension and competitively priced.

If you carefully study reference photos, you'll see that none of the three noted above are fully consistent with their respective prototypes. I didn't find huge errors in any, but did see a variety of little things - ranging from the directional orientation of the louvers in the front grill, to inconsistent treatment of the rail surrounding the door latches and so on - none of which are deal breakers for me.

The Kinetic parts are a bit chunky, and the Panda's sometimes lack clean connecting points (though substantially better than the MATV). If you look at the scratch building campaign, you'll see the MRAP recovery vehicle I just finished. It uses parts from the Panda and Kinetic kits - both of which worked fine.

Good luck-

Nick

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 01:09 PM UTC
And with reference photos in mind, I'll tell you unequivocally none are better than mine, for ANY MRAP. I have all variants of all models. Hundreds of images for each one. You get them within the hour, and no pages to fal out. No printed reference comes close to the number of photos or level of detail. PM me if interested.
 _GOTOTOP