_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Meng: Christmas Edition Kits
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 03:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Think you better check your math, 10 comments from US based folks and 3 from overseas (and really shouldn't count the original poster). I see where Bill is coming from though--this is getting to be less and less about the kit. I for one would like to know about the Santa Sherman--like the scale. Would it make a good tree ornament? or is it "over the top".
VR, Russ

the Meng Kids line does not have a scale are cartoons type caricature however my son has 5 between tanks and airplanes and are all around 12cm x 9cm, the airplane same length but clearly more 'wide, so perfect for the Christmas tree...
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 01:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I disagree with BILL C. Your statement of "LOCK DOWN" Is the very problem of the 1st amendment. Bill's statement is anti demrocacy, and farrr right. Demrocacy Is rule by the people! The exchange of informatiion. To respect the views of ;others as your own. Bill you might want to repick your statment as a staff member.

This has nothing to do with the First Amendment. Armorama is a commercial forum that has its rules and can lock threads, delete posts or bounce malefactors who refuse to conform to those rules. So everyone behave and let's keep the discussion focused on models and kit building.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 03:17 AM UTC
Wow! Are you guys ever off-topic -and apparently loving it! I personally just thought that the promo was, how should I put it... STUPID! Ya, stupid would be the word I'd use. But hey, it's also FREE, so shut up, smile and throw away any part of the kit that offends you. The nefarious objectives of the Chinese are of little importance here in the land of "let's Build".
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 03:18 AM UTC
Oh, and by the way, if you're bound and determined to rave about your rights and "democracy" please learn how to spell/type better. It will make you look less stupid.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Think you better check your math, 10 comments from US based folks and 3 from overseas (and really shouldn't count the original poster). I see where Bill is coming from though--this is getting to be less and less about the kit. I for one would like to know about the Santa Sherman--like the scale. Would it make a good tree ornament? or is it "over the top".
VR, Russ

the Meng Kids line does not have a scale are cartoons type caricature however my son has 5 between tanks and airplanes and are all around 12cm x 9cm, the airplane same length but clearly more 'wide, so perfect for the Christmas tree...

How heavy are they? Would they need to be lower on the tree?
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 04:28 AM UTC
Bill is correct that a private forum such as this can set standards for speech; the amendment applies to public usage. The only exceptions to this are instances where two or more private entities show evidence of conspiracy to block the protected speech of others. That has not happened here.

It's a model, folks. Buy it or don't.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 09:02 AM UTC
Unfortunately, the figure looks more like a chubby Bob Hope than U- No - Hoo. None the less, I like the idea of being able to hang afore-mentioned U - No - Hoo from a tree!
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not to get technical, but this is actually a Constitutional Republic. It's actually better than a true democracy but in the interest of simplicity kids are taught "we ur teh democracy hur hur" and then we blur through nearly 250 years of history before cramming for standardized tests constructed to pass the most kids regardless of actual knowledge by setting a very low bar.

But as for the kit:

I only build German WWII so I am not the target audience.

A true constitutional republic would be the Soviet Union or any country that doesn't allow voting in the constitution.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 12:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A true constitutional republic would be the Soviet Union or any country that doesn't allow voting in the constitution.

Um, no. A constitutional republic is a form of government where the head of state and other leaders are elected to be representatives of the people, with the constitution itself detailing how the government is to be run and how the various leaders powers are to be limited to avoid anyone gaining unlimited power. This was described by Aristotle in his work, On Politics.

If the constitution calls for the people to elect their representatives, then that is how it's done. Just because the Soviet Union had no directives of that type in its constitution does not mean it can't be so; that's their own issue. Or it was their issue, considering the Soviet Union is basically gone now.

At any rate, feel free to google facts about the U.S.'s governmental system but we really need to get back to modeling now, m'kay?
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 12:51 PM UTC

https://www.1215.org/lawnotes/lawnotes/repvsdem.htm

Being Canadian born, I had to take civics (governemt) classes when we(my parents and kids) moved to the US in the early '60's (yes we came in through the front door). Now can we get back to modeling and not let the Chinese win by 'poking the bear' as we say on some stupid free figure gimmick. I am starting to sweat wearing my tin foil hat this long reading Kitmaker posts.

Cheers

Update:
I might want to put a disclaimer out that the link I posted does lean towards defending the 'Pledge of Allegiance' which may (not surprised these days) offend someone or thing.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 01:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How heavy are they? Would they need to be lower on the tree?

the planes are pretty light,the tanks probably middle-low on the tree,are little bit heavier,the king Tiger little bit more then the planes,the Chinese MBT i think need a good branch,is pretty chubby...but on the sherman you have the Santa on top and make it heavier
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 02:33 PM UTC

The description of democracy is the exact reason why we aren't one. As George Carlin said, "Think about how stupid the average person is...and realize half of them are stupider than that." The fate of the world revolves on the slim margin of people who actually vote rationally on any given issue.

So...we ready for models yet? If they had a Christmas ornament panzer I might consider that, as I don't build Allied armor. Hallmark has made a few Allied pieces over the years but I highly doubt they would sculpt a Nazi war machine for the holidays. The Trump kit I could care less about as again, I don't do anal-I mean Allied. Other than a set of Presidential Pez I got my wife (Clinton, both Bushes, and Obama) I don't display politics because I really don't give a crap as long as no one is trying to screw me and my family over. My position is all politicians are self-serving bastards. I don't advertise for them.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 03:44 PM UTC
i dont know i dont see USA as the most democratic country,strange election system were a state cout more then others and is not who take more vote the winner and to much power on the hands of the president,but still a lot better then many others,probably Switzerland with the direct democracy system can be the closest to "Proper democracy",but is just my 2 cents...

The King tiger from Meng Kits weighs 76g...
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 07:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's not too bad, I guess my 1/16 KT wouldn't make a good ornament tho I oughta try.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 07:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i dont know i dont see USA as the most democratic country,strange election system were a state cout more then others and is not who take more vote the winner and to much power on the hands of the president,but still a lot better then many others,probably Switzerland with the direct democracy system can be the closest to "Proper democracy",but is just my 2 cents...

The most amusing comment I ever heard about voting systems was when I worked in Switzerland for 6 months in 1989. One of the last cantons who did not yet have voting rights for women were having a referendum about it. One of the TV-channels interviewed a woman in that canton. Her answer was that she was in two minds about the whole thing. With male only votes she could tell her husband and son how they should vote, with female voting rights she thought that har husband and son might decide to make up their own minds and tell her that she could/should use her own vote instead of telling them what to do ....

/ Robin

For the non Swiss: A canton is roughly equivalent to one of the states in the US.
They are a LOT smaller but they have roughly the same relation to the confederation.
For the interested reader:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantons_of_Switzerland
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 - 01:19 PM UTC
Wow, you guys are still beating to death the wrong issue and this rambling discourse on politics is entirely weird in a forum dedicated to model-building. The point is that the so-called "Christmas Bonus" is weird and, as I said before, leave it at that and feel free to discard anything that you find offensive in the box. Now everyone take a deep breath and get back to the topic of building! Anyone not interested should find another appropriate forum.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 10:28 PM UTC
Like the cartoon tanks, someone at Meng has an eye for satire and caricature. If anything the figure is as much a caricature as the Santa Claus in the Sherman. So it would be fun to have one modeled maybe falling off the tank (or being pushed off) all the while looking quite ridiculous.

I might get one just because the figure looks so ridiculous. A little satire and a little fun.

Maybe get one of those busty tank girl figures to be doing the pushing
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Like the cartoon tanks, someone at Meng has an eye for satire and caricature. If anything the figure is as much a caricature as the Santa Claus in the Sherman. So it would be fun to have one modeled maybe falling off the tank (or being pushed off) all the while looking quite ridiculous.

I might get one just because the figure looks so ridiculous. A little satire and a little fun.

I guess it would not be very PC of me to say that I like busty tank girl figures?
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I guess it would not be very PC of me to say that I like busty tank girl figures?

One more non-PC vote for busty tank girl figures.

Oh and can we have some Waffen-SS guys in suspenders and high heels to go with the cartoon King Tiger please
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 03:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh and can we have some Waffen-SS guys in suspenders and high heels to go with the cartoon King Tiger please

Maybe Meng should release their 1/35 King Tiger with a bonus figure of Adolf H. Above the waist he's wearing his uniform but below the waist he's dressed like Dr. Frankenfurter from Rocky Horror.

Add another non-PC vote for busty tank girls turning wrenches.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Maybe Meng should release their 1/35 King Tiger with a bonus figure of Adolf H. Above the waist he's wearing his uniform but below the waist he's dressed like Dr. Frankenfurter from Rocky Horror.

Oh wrenches! Not wenches, my bad...
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 10:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh wrenches! Not wenches, my bad...

_GOTOTOP