_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Why Doesn't Bronco Make M113's?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 02:34 PM UTC
I noticed how they make most if not all variants of Chinese APC's, both domestic and export versions. They even have one-piece bodies for the "tall" command versions. Since their facilities can mold those, you'd think they could also do the same with the various versions of the M113.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 02:48 PM UTC
The obvious reason is that that the M113 is not used or made in China. The vast majority of their stuff is WW2. The modern stuff is pretty much all Chinese with the exception of MRAPs and the M1114 HMMWVs.

Academy, AFV Club, Italeri, Tamiya have done it. Who knows? Maybe Great Tamiya will see fit to remake their M113 and M577. Or maybe AFV Club will put out more versions?

Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 02:59 PM UTC
Because... the rumor is that AFV Club will produce more M113 variants.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 06:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Because... the rumor is that AFV Club will produce more M113 variants.

I thought they would make M113s since they did the M548! The trouble with AFV Club is they take so damn long. How long ago did they showed of their work on the M728? Or an M60A0? And still no M992 after they announced that. And what about the M8 HMC after their M5 Stuart? I am a fan but I get quite frustrated at the thought of what they could be doing.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 10:22 PM UTC
Because they don't want to.

There may be other reasons besides that, but for almost every model company, this is the largest reason by far and the only one that really matters.

KL
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 10:37 PM UTC
Kurt summed it up nicely above while I was typing my response but just in case you would like a slightly more elaborated answer:

Short answer: When and if they see a business in it.

At any given time they can choose to make a kit of anything.
The choice needs to be based on:
A guess about how well it will sell, based on a guess about the market interest and current competition.

What is the competition, either if there is no competition, the competing kits are low quality (incorrect, poor fit, useless instructions, whatever or a combination), ability to sell a kit at a lower price than the competing kits.

How difficult/expensive will it be to get the necessary data?

How much can they charge for the kit?

Can it be produced at a price where there is still a PROFIT to be made?

Are there other possible future kits with a better potential for PROFIT? The capacity of the research and design departments should be used for the most PROFITable projects.

Could the competing companies be working on the same subject? Can we get to the market first or with a better kit?

I do not think that the list above is complete.

Consider this:
There is a lot of model builders in Japan.
The JGSDF has a lot of vehicles.
There are a few Japanese plastic model companies.

Is there a model of most of the current JGSDF inventory?
For some reason or other the decision makers have decided that other kits are more profitable.

Swedish equipment? Don't make me laugh ... The market for kits of Swedish vehicles is way to small, unless the vehicle is very special (Strv S) or is in use by others.
There are a few versions of the Bofors 40 mm AA-gun but NOT the variant used by Sweden.

Pure Capitalism
The Capitalist will produce the goods which
the Capitalist thinks will be PROFITable

If they did it in any other way they would be going out of business and WE would have to start doing some serious scratchbuilding ....

/ Robin
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2018 - 04:43 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Or an M60A0?

I've just about finished the "heavy lifting" on my DML slick thanks to a ton of AM & spares-box details, so a decent AFV Club kit should follow shortly!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2018 - 08:28 AM UTC
I have a suspicion that Takom might do an M113. A more likely candidate than Bronco.
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2018 - 09:41 AM UTC
Kurt and Robin, I agree with with your observations, it's why we'll probably never see an injection molded 1/32 F7F Tigercat, but you would think the M113 and at least some of its variants would sell decently enough. With over 80,000 built and over 50 countries either currently using or having used the vehicles there should be something of a market. I also agree Takom or maybe Panda would more likely make it. Mark
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2018 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kurt and Robin, I agree with with your observations, it's why we'll probably never see an injection molded 1/32 F7F Tigercat, but you would think the M113 and at least some of its variants would sell decently enough. With over 80,000 built and over 50 countries either currently using or having used the vehicles there should be something of a market. I also agree Takom or maybe Panda would more likely make it. Mark

I don't know what Bronco is planning
Maybe they think that AFV Club will finally release an M113?
Maybe they are betting their money on something they do not suspect someone else might be doing.
Who knows?
I do not for one second think that my thoughts and opinions will influence what the decision makers at Bronco are thinking.
I may have a high opinion of the value of my own thoughts and views but I do not think that Bronco shares this view
I will simply have to relax, pick something from the stash to build and wait for what the future might bring.
A styrene PBV 302 would be nice, a decent number of variants too ...
/ Robin
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 11:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a suspicion that Takom might do an M113. A more likely candidate than Bronco.

With a 1m turret and maple leafs.
tangodown
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 213 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 11:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

With a 1m turret and maple leafs.

Ohhh a TLAV would be sweet af.
 _GOTOTOP