_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Notice from Takom
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 09:26 AM UTC
Takom posted this on their official Facebook page earlier today.

Quoted Text

WARNING! Please do not attempt to purchase Takom products from www.takom-military.com. This is a fraudulent website, affiliated with www.internethobbies.com. There have been many complaints filed against this fraudulent company with the Better Business Bureau:
https://www.bbb.org/…/whole…/internet-hobbies-0241-235973355

Only purchase Takom products from trusted official Takom distributors, otherwise you risk losing your money. There is only one official Takom website, and we do not sell directly from our website
www.takom-world.com

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 09:35 AM UTC
Oops.
Seems as if something is going on, whatever it is ...
/ Robin
Hangelafette
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 344 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 10:10 AM UTC
Kudos to Takom. I did not realize that it was connected to Internet Hobbies. In addition to the Takom site, I suspect another site called Red Star Hobbies was recently set up by the same operation. Hobby Models is another one.

Sorry to say this as a PA resident, but when doing business with Pennsylvania based internet hobby shops...

Caveat emptor.

Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 10:53 AM UTC
Now that's customer service.
5thMech
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 12:22 PM UTC
Please elaborate. What would make an on-line hobby retailer based in PA susceptible to perpetrating fraud?

If such is the case with Hobby Models, it appears they've gone to great lengths to construct a very detailed, complete website.

Thanks for the heads up.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 03:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Please elaborate. What would make an on-line hobby retailer based in PA susceptible to perpetrating fraud?

If such is the case with Hobby Models, it appears they've gone to great lengths to construct a very detailed, complete website.

Thanks for the heads up.

InternetHobbyies.com doesn't have a good reputation. Google internethobbies.com complaints and check it for yourself. Now a website comes up with Takoms logo, name and it could be implied that they are associated with takom-world.com, Takoms home site. But the street address of takom-military.com is the same as Internethobbies.com, a company that has be accused of fraud and theft. So most likely the sites belong to the same business and Takom doesn't want to be associated with a shady business.

Hangelafette
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 344 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 03:09 PM UTC
I should not have dissed PA, in fact where I live, the local businesses are renowned for their customer service. I've had many smooth transactions with fellow state residents on this board, PA based eBay sellers and brick and mortar stores. I think just by unhappy coincidence my 2 bad online buying experiences (out of many!) have been with PA online retailers.

I placed an order from Hobby Models several years ago. After multiple unsuccessful attempts to check the status of my order, I started a PayPal dispute. They contacted me and offered to ship the items if I dropped the dispute. Like a sucker, I agreed and never heard from them again.

I have had a couple successful orders with Internet Hobbies, some rocky and one not so successful... Imagine my surprise to hear both business are possibly connected.

Thankfully with every other hobby shop, fellow modeler, eBay seller, online retailer... and I have purchased items from China, Japan, Korea, Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Germany, Spain, France, UK, Canada and all over the USA... the experience has been very good, usually excellent.

BunkerBuster
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 04:21 PM UTC
About a year ago, I somehow ended up on the internet hobbies mailing list. They run "deals" all the time. I've come within an inch of ordering kits from them on several occasions, but every time I hesitated for some reason and backed out. The biggest turn off for me is they would want to charge the same about of money for shipping that was being discounted. It wasn't hard to find everything they had cheaper elsewhere. Now that I've actually seen their BBB reviews....so many bullets dodged.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 04:41 PM UTC
I haven't dealt with internet hobbies or hobby models at all. I mostly get my Takom and Meng kits from www.HLJ.com They have some great prices and are very reputable.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 04:45 PM UTC
This reminds me of a guy who ran a model railroad store in Colorado Springs in the early 90s. I had switched from plastic models to model RR, and was into Narrow Gauge stuff. This guy had some great items in his multi-genre store, but I also noticed lots of empty space. And his knowledge of the product was rather poor which is unusual for a LHS owner. I'd drop buy occasionally because he offered some pretty good sales. One day I went by and the store was totally empty with an eviction notice taped to the door! I visited another LHS across town a few days later, and mentioned to that shop owner about the other LHS "store closing". That LHS owner informed me the shop owner who had closed was actually a bonafide con artist, and he'd been staying just ahead of the law in several states extending from California to Texas and now Colorado. The Postal Investigators were alerting all the reputable LHS owners to be on the lookout for him. This other shop I was visiting actually had a USPS "wanted poster" on thier bulletin board for this con artist. He'd open up a shop, take in consignments and never pay the owners of the item. He would place magazine ads for mail order items (this was a bit before the Internet) and would cash the checks without sending any products. When the authorities caught on, or the building landlord got tired of waiting for the rent check, he'd literally move in a large cargo trailer and leave overnight for the next town. He always changed the logo of his shop to closely resemble other notable hobby stores in other states, posing as an "associate". As far as I know, he was never caught, simply because he kept moving. He's probably still scamming on-line today, if he's still alive (he was in his late 50s back in 1992). So, this is not "new"-- Buyer beware, and kudos to Takom for exposing these new fraudsters. It's shame there are so many criminals out there trying to steal our hobby dollars.
VR, Russ
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 04:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I should not have dissed PA, in fact where I live, the local businesses are renowned for their customer service. (snip)

There are sometimes reasons why certain businesses are located in certain states, e.g. weaker consumer protection laws. At one time most of the spam e-mail in North America (if not the world) was coming out of Florida because of a low likelihood of the spammers getting into legal trouble there. Credit card companies all opened headquarters in Delaware IIRC because that state passed loose laws related to credit cards.

As a general rule a company that does virtually identical business under several different names should be treated with caution. It isn't like a company that has a chain of burger places and a chain of pizza places, those are different kinds of restaurants. But somebody operating seeming duplicate mail-order model companies is doing something a bit odd, although it isn't unique in this industry. But for a manufacturer to sound the alarm about what appears to be a website intended to deceive the consumer, yikes, that's a bit startling.
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 05:51 PM UTC
For some reason or another I had a feeling about this.Always with the "big sales" and the two times I ordered I had a devil of a time of getting what I ordered.That is why I always go with my trusted vendors and NOT some shady character that might be a scammer.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 07:22 PM UTC
if I have to buy something from an online store or call a company because or need its services, if I do not know it I always do a little research on the web, it is difficult if not impossible to hide on the internet especially if your service is poor....if i find bad review or nothing at all is a no go
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Credit card companies all opened headquarters in Delaware IIRC because that state passed loose laws related to credit cards.

All sorts of corporations are chartered in Delaware because they have a special court system that is specifically for disputes involving corporations. It's not biased in the corporation's favor (many cases are corp vs. corp) it's just fast and optimized to handle business disputes.

KL
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Credit card companies all opened headquarters in Delaware IIRC because that state passed loose laws related to credit cards.

All sorts of corporations are chartered in Delaware because they have a special court system that is specifically for disputes involving corporations. It's not biased in the corporation's favor (many cases are corp vs. corp) it's just fast and optimized to handle business disputes.

KL

Delaware is also a Corporate Haven and pretty opaque on tax and stuff like that and very strong on privacy,there are more corporate than people
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I haven't dealt with internet hobbies or hobby models at all. I mostly get my Takom and Meng kits from www.HLJ.com They have some great prices and are very reputable.

While HLJ is excellent and have a good reputation, prices on non-domestic (non-Japanese) products are typically always higher and this includes Takom and Meng, so their prices are definitely not great for these kits. There are many other reputable shops (including on Ebay) that offer these kits at much cheaper prices then HLJ. HobbyEasy has been around for probably as long as HLJ and is just as reputable. Examples - Takom Bergepanther A is $73 at HLJ, $50 at HE. Meng Jagdpanther is $41 at HLJ and $30 at HE.

5thMech
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 02:26 AM UTC
Thank you for the specifics with what you have experienced. We all should be mindful of bad buying experiences and the Forum is a great way to "start spreadin' the news."

Thanks again.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This reminds me of a guy who ran a model railroad store in Colorado Springs in the early 90s... (who) was actually a bonafide con artist...
VR, Russ

I knew Tony Engelhart was in Colorado. Wasn't aware he was also into Model Railroading.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 04:10 AM UTC
I shop scalehobbyist.com, great prices, selection and shipping out of N.H. I've also had good luck shopping on ebay, orders from the Ukraine, brasil, Japan and China. Just a couple problems that PayPal helped to resolve. I won't shop from a site that won't take PayPal.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I knew Tony Engelhart was in Colorado. Wasn't aware he was also into Model Railroading.

Thanks Rob,
'bout spit my water on the monitor with that one... I was thinking of a certain individual from Arizona that the description also fit, but that was only about 10 years ago.
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 04:42 AM UTC
Out of curiosity, what is the reputation of Soga Miniatures like? I placed some orders at the beginning of the month - two with Russian vendors, one with a vendor in Ukraine, and one with an eBay vendor in China. Got the package from China within nine days (the vendor was a known quantity), received the package from Ukraine earlier this week (again, vendor was a known quantity). The first Russian vendor informed me they were on vacation until the 19th only *after* I'd ordered (via eBay) but that package should be here today.

However, the Soga order, which was for ten items from the same (Russian) manufacturer is still "Processing". Have I just become spoilt by vendors that ship within a day or two of ordering, or should I be concerned?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This reminds me of a guy who ran a model railroad store in Colorado Springs in the early 90s... (who) was actually a bonafide con artist...
VR, Russ

Ok-- you guys are driving me nuts-- maybe I've been living under a rock, but who the heck is Tony Englehart?
VR, Russ
Dinocamo
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Out of curiosity, what is the reputation of Soga Miniatures like? I placed some orders at the beginning of the month - two with Russian vendors, one with a vendor in Ukraine, and one with an eBay vendor in China. Got the package from China within nine days (the vendor was a known quantity), received the package from Ukraine earlier this week (again, vendor was a known quantity). The first Russian vendor informed me they were on vacation until the 19th only *after* I'd ordered (via eBay) but that package should be here today.

However, the Soga order, which was for ten items from the same (Russian) manufacturer is still "Processing". Have I just become spoilt by vendors that ship within a day or two of ordering, or should I be concerned?

Did you read the 'terms and conditions' and the 'shipping' that vendor (Soga)? Or are the items backorder/pre-stock? Some sellers usually don't update their stock or specify it, therefore delay would happen.

You should contact them for the problem.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 05:49 AM UTC
thanks for the heads up on these places .I primarily deal with Squadron. sprue bros ,scale hobbyist, even Amazon, older respected web sites . I've never had a issue . Only time I had any kink of issue was with one of the few LHSleft in nj was Ridgefield hobbys
NJ .His prices are very high to begin with , when I found a kit I liked but it was unwrapped , I asked him what he can do with the price . he took the kit and in about 10 minutes came back with it wrapped ! one other time I bought a kit , wrapped , "new" and when I opened it, it was half finished & painted ! . Ill never go back to this thief in Ridgefield hobbys.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have dealt with Soga in the past, nomrally no issue. But yes you have to watch what they don't have in stock, as they won't ship till it is all in stock.

_GOTOTOP