_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Russian Radio in M4A2 76 W?
tangodown
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 213 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2018 - 01:05 PM UTC
Did the Russians keep the US radio's in the Lend lease shermans or did they replace them with their own? IF so what aerials did they use? Quite a few of the pics I've seen seem to show an antenna mount but no aerial attached. Thanks in advance.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2018 - 01:53 PM UTC
Lend lease M4's were shipped with everything needed, including radios. It is odd that no antennas are seen in pictures.

Soviet tank radios were not very reliable and were not installed in all Soviet made tanks. It is unlikely they used those to replace the US made sets.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 03:26 AM UTC
Canadian-made Valentines were supplied as Lend Lease tot he Russians complete with Canadian-made No.19 Radio sets fitted with Cyrillic labels on the radios and Russian language manuals inside.

So I'm pretty sure they kept whatever radios they were given.

Paul
highpoint
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 12:02 PM UTC
Photos are scarce. One thing I noticed while doing some research on one Im building is that the antenna mount is similar to the British one that has the ring around it (cant remember which one) but without the ring and is mounted on the mount behind the commanders cupola on the 75mm turrets. Everything I have read seems to suggest they kept the radios that were in it.
Jeff

PS...duh If I read the title it would help (not 75, not 75)
You can use a standard US mount on 76mm
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 01:14 PM UTC
The US and UK supplied millions of radio tubes to the Soviets during the way, but it was not unusual for Red Army units to have far fewer radios than they were supposed to have. That was one of the factors in why large formations were encircled and cut off so often early in the war on the eastern front, they didn't know what was going on around them due to poor communications.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 01:47 PM UTC
Wartime photos would suggest they didn't use them regularly except for the command vehicles. I've read accounts from Russians that used the Sherman. They loved and praised the tank and especially liked the .50 caliber HMG.
tangodown
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 213 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 02:17 PM UTC
Thanks for all the info guys. It sure explains a lot and confirms my suspicions.
 _GOTOTOP