_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
New Compressor Selection Help
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 12:57 AM UTC
Hey guys - something is kaput on my TCP Global compressor and wanted to know what the best, compressors are out there?

I'm mainly just 12-20 psi approx. and want something that is going to last.

Anything NOT made in China?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 01:53 AM UTC
Have you tried figuring out what it is that is broken or worn out?
Which compressor from TCP Global? I see 4 when I check their website, two noisy ones, one "silent" and a small 12 volt unit.
In their Compressor Usage Chart there are a lot more ...
http://www.tcpglobal.com/Airbrushing-Supplies/Airbrush-Compressor-Usage-Chart/

Do you need a silent one or is it OK for you if the compressor sounds like a machine gun?
I would recommend a silent compressor with a tank but those are sort of expensive:
http://www.airbrush.com/Super-Silent-Sil-Air-20-A-Compressor/productinfo/120052/
Close to $500 ..... but it is silent and good quality ....

Do you have a price limit?

/ Robin
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 02:03 AM UTC
I'd love the silent ones! It's actually the TC-828 so it has a 2 yr warranty.

The "blow off" valve has an audible slow leak for some reason all the sudden. I do use it quite a bit

I'd love to go Iwata if there is a good one with similar features and good warranty/service
snodipous
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 05:21 AM UTC
I just recently had to have a part replaced on my Iwata/Medea compressor. The Iwata rep pointed me towards SilentAire, who were able to sort me out. I don't know if SilentAire made the Medea shark line of compressors, but the TigerShark is really, really quiet. My wife and I can watch a movie or listen to an audiobook with the compressor running in the same small room. The hiss of the airbrush is much louder than the compressor feeding it.
baldwin8
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 05:29 AM UTC
I recently purchased this for less than $200 Canadian. And very pleased, big enough tank capacity that it only recharges a couple of times for a big paint job. I don't have a water separator yet but no problems since the tank acts to separate moisture. I only had to buy an adapter for my hose to plug in.

http://www.senco.com/tools/details-page/pc1010

One of my best buys for some time.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd love the silent ones! It's actually the TC-828 so it has a 2 yr warranty.

The "blow off" valve has an audible slow leak for some reason all the sudden. I do use it quite a bit

I'd love to go Iwata if there is a good one with similar features and good warranty/service

It should be possible to replace that safety valve.
Contact the place you bought it from and check if they can help you. If they can't then the valve is a fairly standard item so Google could probably help you.

I presume it is that red thing with a little ring in it?

Unscrew it and check the gauge of the thread, 1/8", 1/4" or 3/8".
Link to search result in Amazon (only as an example)
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dindustrial&field-keywords=safety+valve+compressor+125+psi&rh=n%3A16310091%2Ck%3Asafety+valve+compressor+125+psi

/ Robin
AlfredCZ
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 07:06 AM UTC
I have two Sparmax. Sparmax compressors was re-branded by Revell. It's Made in Taiwan and was very good. Small Ac-66 i used a ten years, new 610+ i have few month but is gorgeous.I think in oiless compressor is Sparmax top.
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 04:31 PM UTC
Thanks guys

Robin, it's actually the small square connection on the other side of the tc-828. It has a line/hose going into it.

Once the compressor gets to the shut off psi, it will usually do one blow off from this valve and then shut ogf. Now itbleaks just a tad so that you can hear it lightly. Then it will stop. It's still functioning but need to figure out why that would happen all the sudden
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 07:50 PM UTC
Brian,
Can you post an image of the leaking part?
/ Robin
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 03:31 PM UTC
First off, are you sure it's a bad pressure relief valve or is your compressor over pressurizing because of a bad pressure cutoff switch?
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 05:36 PM UTC
A co2 cylinder and regulator is as quiet as it gets, only the hiss of air from the airbrush. No power requirements. Very few parts to fail. Easily portable.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 07:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A co2 cylinder and regulator is as quiet as it gets, only the hiss of air from the airbrush. No power requirements. Very few parts to fail. Easily portable.

And it's dry so no need of a water trap.
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 04:49 PM UTC
Its totally intermittent and still working but will slowly leak occasionally after it shuts off when refilling.

I can take a pic but not sure how to post?
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 10:15 PM UTC
Brian sent me this image so that I could make it available.

Where is the air leaking out? It looks like a cable going off to the lower left so I assume that this is the pressure controlled on/off-switch?
It could be an untight screw joint between any of the parts.
Take apart and apply thread seal tape if the leak is in one of the joints.
It could also be the pressure switch itself which is leaky.
It can be hard to hear with the compressor running. If it has a permanent leak the hissing will continue until the pressure has dropped to the level where the leak stops letting out air.
It could also be something at the cut-off setting which lets a little air out after it has cut the power to the compressor motor.

Can you describe the exact location of the hissing sound?

/ Robin

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 10:40 AM UTC
if you can not understand 100% from where the air leaks take some water and mix it with some dish soap or shampoo 50/50,with the compressor running pour some soap on the joints and on any part can leaks and you will see the soap bubble and foam if there any leaks, is the best way to see also microscopic leak, I put the water/soap mix in an old bottle of Vallejo and occasionally check all the joints when I do normal maintenance, work of 2 min. and no more but avoid headaches, most of the time you can fix a compressor with a few pennies
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

if you can not understand 100% from where the air leaks take some water and mix it with some dish soap or shampoo 50/50,with the compressor running pour some soap on the joints and on any part can leaks and you will see the soap bubble and foam if there any leaks, is the best way to see also microscopic leak, I put the water/soap mix in an old bottle of Vallejo and occasionally check all the joints when I do normal maintenance, work of 2 min. and no more but avoid headaches, most of the time you can fix a compressor with a few pennies

Definitely leak check all the joints but be careful around the electrical connections. Fill the tank then unplug it for so you don't get shocked.
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 - 10:37 AM UTC
It's actually coming from the little blow off valve opening on bottom of the black square --- again, it's the same area that the excess blow off air comes out after it hits shut off pressure.

Then it will randomly leak, for varying lengths of time (5-15 seconds usually) - operating fine but somethings not right
DocEvan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 - 03:42 PM UTC
I recommend a 10 or 20 lb CO2 tank. You can get these at any welding supply shop, along with a regulator (if you don't already have one). My air supply lasts six months to a year and only costs me $20 to swap out for a new tank.

But always remember to turn the regulator to off when done spraying!

Quoted Text

Hey guys - something is kaput on my TCP Global compressor and wanted to know what the best, compressors are out there?

I'm mainly just 12-20 psi approx. and want something that is going to last.

Anything NOT made in China?

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 - 05:21 PM UTC
If is just the valve with few bucks should be fixed you tried to contact TCP for support or spare parts?...however isn’t a hard to find part and a easy job if you have a minimum skill
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 - 05:53 PM UTC
There should be a sticker somewhere on the compressor with the make, model number, serial number and you can start searching for parts.
 _GOTOTOP