_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Italeri 1/35 US Marines M4 Sherman
WilliamHarry
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hello! I am a first-time poster here and I have a question for all M4 Sherman experts.

My son recently gave me the Italeri 1/35 US Marines M4 Sherman as a gift. Is anyone aware of any problems with this kit? What M4 version does it come closest to depicting?

Thanks!

Bill Morrison
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 10:35 PM UTC
Hi Bill,

There is a decent review of the kit on PMMS. It is basically a late "big hatch" M4A3, with some parts to make it an M4A2. Most of the parts are from tooling more than 30 years old, so detail isn't up to the current high standard, but a decent model can be made from it with a little effort. The biggest problem with all Italeri Shermans is the stiff tracks. You can replace them, or try to "pre-form" them around the sprocket and idler to reduce tension on the plastic axles. I've had some success making a former from a slab of wood with nails in to outline the shape of the kit suspension - the track gets wrapped around and then left on the car dashboard for a week to soften and conform to the new shape. As most cars will hit 140F with the windows closed on a sunny day this allows the stiff vinyl to soften just enough to take the new shape without melting.

Hope this helps!
WilliamHarry
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2018 - 01:09 AM UTC
Tom,

Thank you! I know that the US Marines preferred the M4A2 for its diesel engines, but used the M4A3 as well. I am not sure of the A1. I may have to get the Dragon/DML M4A2 kit to model an accurate US Marines kit.

Thanks again!

Bill
iguanac
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 131 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2018 - 01:32 AM UTC
It is aged model, with tracks as described by a few good men before i saw this post. yet it gives you a decent looking Marines M4A3 as used on Iwo Jima with wood armor and spare water. Eduard does a set for Marines modifications that includes mesh around hatches. All you need is to sculpt few sandbags and paint it in 3 to 4 color cammo, which is rarely seen on Shermans.
WilliamHarry
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2018 - 03:13 AM UTC
I have been looking at some of the USMC camouflage used on Shermans. Painting it thusly would make an interesting addition to my collection!
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2018 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom,

Thank you! I know that the US Marines preferred the M4A2 for its diesel engines, but used the M4A3 as well. I am not sure of the A1. I may have to get the Dragon/DML M4A2 kit to model an accurate US Marines kit.

Thanks again!

Bill

Bill,

The Marines (well only A Co 1st Tanks) did use the A1 for a few months during late 43 til about Feb 44 for training and combat during the Battle of Cape Gloucester. You can do a search on here for more details.

As for A2/A3s it depends on the unit and battle as to which Sherman and details they had. For the camo the late David Harper's book Tank Warfare on Iwo Jima would be useful.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2018 - 12:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bill,

There is a decent review of the kit on PMMS. It is basically a late "big hatch" M4A3, with some parts to make it an M4A2. Most of the parts are from tooling more than 30 years old, so detail isn't up to the current high standard, but a decent model can be made from it with a little effort. The biggest problem with all Italeri Shermans is the stiff tracks. You can replace them, or try to "pre-form" them around the sprocket and idler to reduce tension on the plastic axles. I've had some success making a former from a slab of wood with nails in to outline the shape of the kit suspension - the track gets wrapped around and then left on the car dashboard for a week to soften and conform to the new shape. As most cars will hit 140F with the windows closed on a sunny day this allows the stiff vinyl to soften just enough to take the new shape without melting.

Hope this helps!

it will not build into a accurate M4A2 due to 2 reasons
1. the Italeri kit does not provide the lower real hull plate
2. the upper rear hull plate is on too much of a angle on the A2 its almost vertical

WilliamHarry
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 01:23 AM UTC
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the info! It seems clear that the kit is an M4A3, or can be with some modifications.

Thanks again!

Bill
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 05:52 AM UTC
Iwo Jima Shermans offer a lot of variety in details and colors.

Is it also your first kit?

Regards,

Marc
WilliamHarry
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 12:03 AM UTC
This is not my first kit at all. I have been building models since 1960, but I focus mainly on ships. However, armor is a very close second. I remember building my first tank, the Airfix 1/76 Panther. I graduated to the Aurora 1/48 tanks, such as they were, within months. Then, in the 1970's I discovered 1/35. It is a great hobby, and one can make many friends through building model kits. I love it!
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 02:47 AM UTC
I see,

I started when I was bout 10. Two airplanes at first, but switched to armor soon after.

This book might be usefull for your build:
http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/usa/tankwarfareiwojima_1.html

Regards,

Marc
WilliamHarry
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 03:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the reference! I will check it out!
 _GOTOTOP