_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
A Youtube build of the new Tamiya M551
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 05:24 PM UTC
Andy's Hobby HQ got a preproduction Tamiya M551 and does a video preview and build. Gives a great view of the kit sprues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKWjByeR180

Tom
Taylornic
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 337 posts
Armorama: 332 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 07:08 PM UTC
I am really liking this kit. Looks as if Tamiya did a good job with it.
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 02:57 AM UTC
I'd like to see a comparison between the earlier (Academy?) and Jaguar kits and the new Tamiya, as there were complaints regarding the proportions around the front of the hull and the turret.

Truth be told, I built the Academy kit about 15 years ago and found that it looked like a Sheridan. Obviously I'm not in the rivet-counter league.

And, wasn't there an announcement that another company (Rye?) is also releasing an M551?
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And, wasn't there an announcement that another company (Rye?) is also releasing an M551?

Yes, Rye Field Model has announced they will be releasing a Sheridan, but a later version than the Tamiya kit.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 03:08 AM UTC
It does look nice, but I do see some areas that could stand improvement (wire mesh over the engine deck grills for one). I also don't like the option of all those holes for the ammo boxes on the sides-- it would be better to have the mounting loops separate than to have all those holes, and the left side of the turret doesn't have any at all, which limits your cargo and ammo storage options. But it does look like a quick and simple kit-- and since this is a test shot there may be a few changes (but I doubt if there will be many at this late date). I'm also a little disappointed in the interior, as it doesn't resemble the real thing at all, but this kit is still far superior to any other offerings. Since Rye Field is making another 2in1 release, I'll wait to see what it looks like.
VR, Russ
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 04:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd like to see a comparison between the earlier (Academy?) and Jaguar kits and the new Tamiya, as there were complaints regarding the proportions around the front of the hull and the turret.

I have a feeling that Academy simply copied Jaguar's resin kit when they made their Sheridan, as the details and proportions look suspiciously similar.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 05:52 AM UTC
I certainly like the new kit's link and link tracks instead of rubber ones.

Why bother comparing Academy kit to the new Tamiya kit? Academy kit was so inaccurate in so many ways.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 10:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Truth be told, I built the Academy kit about 15 years ago and found that it looked like a Sheridan. Obviously I'm not in the rivet-counter league.

The hull of the Academy kit was horrible the rear upper hull angle was wrong the road wheel placement was wrong and the drivers hatch was an abortion. I am not a rivet counter I was a Sheridan crewman. The early Tamiya kit was more accurate then the Academy kit. There were countless posts on this site detailing the Academy kits faults.

Ryes kits will be a Desert Storm 551 and a M551A1 post Vietnam track used by US Army Cavalry units like mine the 11th ACR. So I may get all 3.

Tom
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 11:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The hull of the Academy kit was horrible the rear upper hull angle was wrong the road wheel placement was wrong and the drivers hatch was an abortion. I am not a rivet counter I was a Sheridan crewman. The early Tamiya kit was more accurate then the Academy kit. There were countless posts on this site detailing the Academy kits faults.

Ryes kits will be a Desert Storm 551 and a M551A1 post Vietnam track used by US Army Cavalry units like mine the 11th ACR. So I may get all 3.

Tom

The Rye Field 2-in-1 kit comes with parts to build the version you rode (and I did too--F36) in the 11th ACR, OR the 82nd ODS version, so if you want all three versions, you will indeed need three kits-- two Rye Field 2-in-1s, and one Tamiya VN version kit. And you'll have some parts leftover too. These kits are hands down better than the earlier Tamiya or Academy offerings put together--it only took 40 years to get it right!
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP