Hosted by Darren Baker
Willys Jeep in 1/35 scale ... recommendations
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 05:24 AM UTC
Of the many 1/35-scale kits of the Willys Jeep, which would be the best choice? (ideally, one with a detailed engine)
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 06:00 AM UTC
Check this out...

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/features/5024
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 06:16 AM UTC
James,

Many thanks for that ... most interesting!

Paul
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 08:16 AM UTC
You’re welcome!
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Of the many 1/35-scale kits of the Willys Jeep, which would be the best choice? (ideally, one with a detailed engine)

Of course, if you have your heart set on a Willys Overland MB jeep, Bronco is out, as it depicts a Ford GPW jeep (the differences are very minor, of course).
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 09:40 AM UTC
Tamiya's Willys (35219) is the best Willys MB on the market. If you want a Ford GPW, the Bronco kit is awesome.
shermadude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 161 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 - 06:36 AM UTC
The Tamiya MB has an engine,as does the old Ital. MB kit. The Ital. kit is not bad and builds into a very nice model with a little TLC. The Bronco kit has the most detailed engine by a long ways,but it suffers from a hood(bonnet) that is noticeably too long in the front. Something which Tamiya and Ital. both got right. The DML kit has the same problem along with several others. I would stay away from it if I were you. If you really want the engine get the Bronco kit and replace the hood(bonnet) with an after market one.
Regards,Bob
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 - 07:30 AM UTC
Many thanks to you all ... very helpful indeed!
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... The Bronco kit has the most detailed engine by a long ways,but it suffers from a hood(bonnet) that is noticeably too long in the front.

Wasn’t aware that there was a hood(bonnet) issue. Could you please provide links to comparisons? ... Just curious, since I built one of the Bronco GPW’s. TIA.

Cheers!🍺
—mike

PS: I hope the trunk(boot) is okay.😁
shermadude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 161 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 08:35 AM UTC
Take a good close look at the review models in the thread that was provided here. And then do a search on Google for pictures of W.W II jeeps. It's pretty obvious from a comparison that there's a problem with the length of the hood on the Bronco/DML jeeps. Plus there is a replacement hood offered to correct the problem. No need for a replacement if there isn't a problem.
Regards,Bob
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 09:13 AM UTC
Bob, Thanks for your reply,
I've already made those comparisons — guess I just don't see it. From what I can tell, it seems the Bronco GPW (35107) kit that I built somehow came out okay. ???

Note: As mentioned, the Bronco kit was very fiddly and over-engineered — a gazillion parts.⚙️🔩 However, it was tons of fun to build! 🛠

Paul, Hope I didn't take your original query too far off-topic.

Cheers!🍺
—mike
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 10:54 AM UTC
As much as I hate to admit it, Tamiya's is the cheapest and the easiest to build, and very accurate. Bronco's is better, but has tons of fiddly small bits in the suspension. Dragon's has issues. Italeri is so-so. So...Tamiya and Edward's PE.
kennethc
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 02:22 AM UTC
Tiger Model Designs also have some wicked good upgrades for the Tamiya kit.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 05:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As much as I hate to admit it, Tamiya's is the cheapest and the easiest to build, and very accurate. Bronco's is better, but has tons of fiddly small bits in the suspension. Dragon's has issues. Italeri is so-so. So...Tamiya and Edward's PE.

I too like Tamiya's Jeep from around 2001. I found the Custom Dioramics PE set and like it for the Tamiya Jeep. Just enough stuff to dress it up, but not enough to be a chore.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Dioramics-1-35th-Scale-Willys-Jeep-Photo-Etch-Detail-Set-No-CD2006-/292611630319
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 06:11 AM UTC
A little inspiration: JEEPS! Campaign

—mike
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Tamiya MB has an engine,as does the old Ital. MB kit. The Ital. kit is not bad and builds into a very nice model with a little TLC. The Bronco kit has the most detailed engine by a long ways,but it suffers from a hood(bonnet) that is noticeably too long in the front. Something which Tamiya and Ital. both got right. The DML kit has the same problem along with several others. I would stay away from it if I were you. If you really want the engine get the Bronco kit and replace the hood(bonnet) with an after market one.
Regards,Bob

If you look closely at pictures of WWII Jeeps you can see there are hoods that extend out past the front grill more than others. I have owned two Jeeps, the 1942 GPW had a hood that went past the grill a couple inches, on the 1944 Willys the hood barely gets past the grill. Both are/were original WWII. It drove me crazy working on the Willys because I was used to the over hang on the Ford. No matter how I did the various parts the Willy hood looks too short. All three kit hood look correct to me based on that experience.

I would go with the Tamiya kit as well. Quick, simple and not too bad detail wise.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 09:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...The Bronco kit has the most detailed engine by a long ways,but it suffers from a hood(bonnet) that is noticeably too long in the front. Something which Tamiya and Ital. both got right...I would stay away from it if I were you. If you really want the engine get the Bronco kit and replace the hood(bonnet) with an after market one.

I have both the Tamiya and Bronco kits in my sizable stash of Jeeps, and not having noticed an "overlong" hood on the Bronco kit, I compared both kits this afternoon. The Bronco kit hood is exactly the same dimensions as the Tamiya kit hood--they could almost be interchangeable. I also compared the chassis and frame, and they are nearly the same dimensions as well. So I think we can put this rumor to rest as being untrue regarding "too long a hood" in the Bronco kit. The review states the same, although it shows a photo of the Bronco hood inside the Tamiya hood--which I replicated the other way around, by squeezing my Tmiya hood into the Bronco hood! So I think this was as the reviewer indicated, a type of warp in his particular Bronco kit. The Bronco jeep seems to be spot on and quite accurate, and for the money it comes with lots of accessories including either a 1/4 ton trailer or 37mm Gun (depending on the version you buy) and a complete crew of three, or a canvas top (again depending on the version you buy) So, in short there is nothing wrong with the Bronco kit other than what was pointed out in the original review (Ford version and fiddly).
Of the seven (including the Miniart Bantam Kit) injection molded plastic WWII Jeep kits currently available, (I've built them all, and have several currently in my "un-built" stash), the Bronco kit is the best if you want accurate detail. Ranked from best to worst IMO:

1)Bronco: The best kit, though a bit fiddly with all sorts of excellent extra accurate detail. Not a quick build. and as others have said it's a Ford version (which is correctable if desired). Price is good for what's in the kit.
2)Tamiya: A nice kit, a little less slim on the detail than Bronco, but easy to build, accuracy is still excellent. Can be made exceptional with Eduard's fiddly PE set. Price is good for whats in the kit.
3) Dragon: Some shortcuts in detail and a little "off" in places. Price is too high as indicated in the review in comparison (to the Bronco or Tamiya kits).
4) Italeri: Highly build-able, a little soft in detail, but suitable (and getting harder to find, as I think it's OOP). Not as "spendy" as the other kits, but you get what you pay for.
5) Heller: Very simple kit, really soft in detail. Off somewhat in length/height dimensions and details. Made of a brittle light green plastic. Price is under $25, depending on the version, but again, you get what you pay for.
6) Monogram-Revell: This is a re-pop of the original 1/32 Monogram Jeep from 1959, re-labeled by Revell as "1/35" scale, and sometimes packaged with the old Monogram "Eager Beaver" 2 1/2 ton M35 truck (which is a really bad copy of a 5 ton truck--repackaged by Revell-Germany). This is a fun, easy build kit, but inaccurate in dimensions and way lacking in details. Totally "curbside", but fun to build--recommended for the younger set who wants to build a WWII Jeep model with "snap on wheels. For many years before the Tamiya and Italeri offerings, this was the only game in town. I still have mine in the "artful" Monogram box from 1959. Not Recommended for "serious" Jeep Modelers, but it can be made presentable.. Price is under $15.
Very Honorable Mention: The Miniart Bantam: This is not as much a mainstream WWII "Jeep" kit as it is the limited production "pre and early war Bantam"--but it's an excellent kit in it's own right, with lots of detail, and correspondingly "fiddly". Has some minor fit issues. Comes in US, and export Commonwealth versions with crew figures. Price is acceptable for what's in the kit.
Hope this gives some additional insight into what kits are available and which to buy.
VR, Russ
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have both the Tamiya and Bronco kits in my sizable stash of Jeeps, and not having noticed an "overlong" hood on the Bronco kit, I compared both kits this afternoon. The Bronco kit hood is exactly the same dimensions as the Tamiya kit hood--they could almost be interchangeable...
VR, Russ

Much like the oft quoted "fact" that the Tamiya M48 turret needed a shim, which turned out to be absolutely false.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have both the Tamiya and Bronco kits in my sizable stash of Jeeps, and not having noticed an "overlong" hood on the Bronco kit, I compared both kits this afternoon. The Bronco kit hood is exactly the same dimensions as the Tamiya kit hood--they could almost be interchangeable...
VR, Russ

Much like the oft quoted "fact" that the Tamiya M48 turret needed a shim, which turned out to be absolutely false.

Exactly. There is nothing “off” about the Bronco kit, which IMO will build up into the most accurate and exceptionally detailed Jeep out of the box of the seven I listed— it’s just going to take a little more time and “tweezer finess” than the others will. If you want a “fairly-detailed-cheaper-quicker” kit, buy Tamiya’s. But they are both the same hood length, and there is no need for aftermarket in Bronco’s. Tamiya’s will certainly benefit from Eduard’s PE if you are so inclined, but Bronco’s needs nothing OOTB.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP