_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
IPMS Review of Olive Drab Colors
trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 - 05:57 PM UTC
IPMS has completed a review of the Olive Drab set we supplied to them at the National Convention. Their review is listed here: https://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/tru-color-paint-set-armored-olive-drab-1939-1956

This is their review:
"The specific set I tested was specifically for armored subjects painted olive drab from the years 1939-1956 and include the following colors in 1 oz. bottles:

TCP-1400: Olive Drab #1, 1944-1945; All Theaters
TCP-1401: Olive Drab #2, 1939-1941; All Theaters
TCP-1402: Olive Drab #3, 1942-1944; All Theaters
TCP-1423: Olive Drab #4, 1950-1956; US Army Only
TCP-403: Matte Mud, #1
TCP-408: Matte Aged Rust

The set also included a sample of their masking / frisket paper.

Tru-Color suggests spraying their sprayable paints at 28-35 PSI using a medium tip on the airbrush 4-6" away from the model for best results. I sprayed the TCP-1400 Olive Drab #1 on my Takom CDL Lee tank using my Badger 100LG at 30 PSI on a 73 degree day with 86% humidity. Tru-Color says thinning is not required, but if a person wants to do so, they suggest using their TCP-015 Thinner or TCP-310 Retarder. I sprayed the color as was and was rewarded excellent coverage and nice opacity. The paint contains acetone and clean-up is also using acetone. I did so and found it did the job nicely with no residual paint.

For some additional testing, I tried my hand on hand brush painting. With the disclaimer that these paints are designed to be sprayed through an airbrush and not for brush painting, I went ahead and tested this anyway. Reason is, often times when I paint and remove masking, there are areas that usually require a touch-up. I often hate dirtying up the airbrush for such small tasks and use a regular brush. These paints are quite thin and so coverage using a regular brush is thus not ideal. Also, I was a bit heavy-handed in one spot and the paint dripped down onto a spot it was not wanted. I went quickly to wipe it with a soft cloth and found in doing so, I also rubbed off the coat of paint already present. As the paint contains acetone and cleans up with acetone, this is something to be careful of if you are careless like I am.

I highly recommend these paints for the modeler. They are very easy to use and even easier to clean up. The opacity is excellent and often only one coat is truly needed. As they continue to expand their range, I look forward to seeing more military paints for WWII and modern subjects. Their customer service is also excellent- I hit the contact us form to inquire as to the cost of the sets as they only list individual bottle color prices. I had a reply in my inbox within an hour from Rick Galazzo himself. My sincere thanks to Rick and Tru-Color paints, as well as to the IPMS Reviewer Corps for providing me with this sample set to test.

NOTE: There are pictures of the model he did for this review on their site.

This Armor set, TCP-10701, contains 6 1-oz. bottles. It has a suggested retail price of $ 32.95.

Dr. Martin Cohen
Tru-Color Paint
P.O. Box 74524
Phoenix, AZ 85087-4524

714-488-9779

email: [email protected]
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 - 11:42 AM UTC
Er, what the hell came after 1956 then...?

As a keen Cold War modeller I need to get this right - or as right as I can.
trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 - 05:23 PM UTC
After 1956 all military paints had to comply with Federal Standard colors,so everything is given a FS code. We have all the armor codes that were given FS numbers such as all the MERDC and NATO colors as well as the modern armor and the Desert Sand for Iraqi Freedom schemes. It was the eras before the FS codes were established that this set is devoted to.

If you want to see a complete list of all the U.S. Armor colors check out our website to ask for a flyer to be sent to you. It has U.S., Israeli and German (WWII) armor colors.

Dr. Martin Cohen
Tru-Color Paint
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 - 06:56 PM UTC
Well. the IPMS review confirms, once and for all, that the paint is indeed, paint. It says nothing about the accuracy of the colors, what standard they were matched to, or whether they depict real or scale-effect color. Of course, given the current hobby fad of color modulation, I suppose accuracy is a moot point.
 _GOTOTOP