_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Dragon: 2 in 1 Hummel
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 11:54 AM UTC

This new 2-in-1 kit, built precisely to 1/35 scale, allows modelers to create either an Early-Production or Late-Production Hummel. To account for the different production runs, there are two complete upper hulls as well as different drive sprockets

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 03:07 PM UTC
It would be interesting to see which kits the parts come from. The 2008 late version contained parts from previous panzer IV kits but with a nice new hull. The previous early versions had some problems. And of course, now there is no turned barrel and rifling, PE or magic tracks. No doubt it will build into a nice kit - but this boxing offers less, not more, in typical Dragon style these days.
BunkerBuster
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 03:26 PM UTC
A turned barrel is included per the photos. It's interesting that they are saying DS tracks are included. That means they new tooled up for the proper track length for the Hummel. That's too bad, I thought they were going back to magic tracks again with their releases.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 09:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A turned barrel is included per the photos. It's interesting that they are saying DS tracks are included. That means they new tooled up for the proper track length for the Hummel. That's too bad, I thought they were going back to magic tracks again with their releases.

Weeelll....
They could have solved it the same was as in the Ka-Tsu kit where they included two sets of Ka-Mi DS-tracks and the model builder needs to shorten one length of DS and glue it to another to create a 1.7 or 1.8 length.

/ Robin
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 09:14 PM UTC
DS Tracks are most likely from the Dragon Hummel-Wespe kit, #6535.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It would be interesting to see which kits the parts come from. The 2008 late version contained parts from previous panzer IV kits but with a nice new hull. The previous early versions had some problems. And of course, now there is no turned barrel and rifling, PE or magic tracks. No doubt it will build into a nice kit - but this boxing offers less, not more, in typical Dragon style these days.

There are photo etch parts, and there is a turned aluminium with rifling barrel.

Also from what I can see, their latest Hummel has been improved as the inner shield reinforcements are now there (I remember I had to sractch build mine).

While Dragon is far from what they used to be, not everything is bad on their new releases... Let's not judge their kits only for the title.
BunkerBuster
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's not judge their kits only for the title.

Words of wisdom right there....
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 05:34 AM UTC
Good for doing the 1SS LSAH artillery regiment.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 06:04 AM UTC
While I appreciate that the kit comes with two different upper hulls reflecting the different ausfurungen that were offered I still deeply regret that Dragon didn't simply give us back the Magic Tracks that we all came to appreciate. DS seemed like a good idea when it first came out -and it is for some builders- but those of us who like to customize and differentiate our kits don't have any use for those rubbery lengths of track. Here's an idea: as it it a 2 in 1 kit offer both tracks as options as well!
 _GOTOTOP