_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Thoughts on Full Interior Kits (OEM)
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 01:27 PM UTC
I recently purchased my father the RFM Panther a-g kit and it's insanely good. He's always been a WW2 aircraft guy, super detialing with the full eduard brass kits and such, so the RMF is right up his alley.

He wants to get me one of these newer RFM kits for x-mas ( I think mainly to torture me back )l but ive always been more of an exterior detail guy ..... it just kills me to seal up all that work!!!!!! Do you guys build any of these kits and leave all the hatches open ???

Just seems like something that may just sit in the stash as its intimidating seeing all that interior detail. Is there an "easier" oem kit rfm or takom make to break the ice with an interior kit?
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 01:54 PM UTC
I just leave the hatches open, but the Ryefield Panther G kit comes either with all clear parts or the newer version includes parts for a cut-away hull, as well as a full hull if you are into that sort of thing.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 04:43 PM UTC
I don't do interiors. I prefer the exterior look. And some crew to make them look more 'alive', preferably in the hatches, restricting interior detail to a very small area.

I'm not a great modeller... but i don't believe in punishing myself by doing areas that don't interest me.

Gaz
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 08:04 PM UTC
Miniart hava a great business approach on this.
They make the kits in their T-54/55-series in two variants, with and without interior.
/ Robin (who closes all hatches ...)
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 08:35 PM UTC
I'm wary of "full interior" kits because the historical information about the interiors may not exist. The German WW2 military, for example, didn't usually create manuals with interior layouts or photos. Museum tanks are usually stripped of loose storage - and I often get the impression that the model companies don't visit them anyway.

So you end up with a model where some of it is guesswork or simply missing.

David
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 08:58 PM UTC
You can make a repairing scene with the turret and/or engine cover removed, that will show a lot.

As for simpler kits, I am afraid I have no idea...
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 10:22 PM UTC
I do cutaways. (There are some on my blog.) I have always been fascinated by interiors, so this new trend is like a dream come true for me.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 12:26 AM UTC
I second or third Miniart. I just bought their T-54-1. The box is large, heavy and can barely contain all the parts. I have scooped up a few other manufacturers' interior kits, but Miniart has them beat hands down.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I recently purchased my father the RFM Panther a-g kit and it's insanely good. He's always been a WW2 aircraft guy, super detialing with the full eduard brass kits and such, so the RMF is right up his alley.

He wants to get me one of these newer RFM kits for x-mas ( I think mainly to torture me back )l but ive always been more of an exterior detail guy ..... it just kills me to seal up all that work!!!!!! Do you guys build any of these kits and leave all the hatches open ???

Just seems like something that may just sit in the stash as its intimidating seeing all that interior detail. Is there an "easier" oem kit rfm or takom make to break the ice with an interior kit?

Interiors are a waste of time
and another excuse fot the kit manufactures to jack up the price of a already expensive and overprices kit
interiors are not for me
when i have a kit with the interior i throw out all the parts relating to the interior

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 12:49 AM UTC
It is all a personal preference. I love detailed interiors, esp. on APCs or other vehicles with large hatches. I am currently finishing up the MiniArt T-55 Mod 1963 with full interior. I am making it as an exploded view with the top of the hull and turret raised up so you can see all the details. You can check it out here.

Quoted Text

...when i have a kit with the interior i throw out all the parts relating to the interior...

Nick, If you don't want interior parts to modern armor/APCs, let me know.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 01:13 AM UTC
Like many of you I have built models with and without interiors. Each to his or her own and respect those choices.

I added Accurate Armour's interior upgrade to the Warrior, plus the exterior slat and bar armour. Yes the total price was a bit steep but that was my choice. The kit manufacturing companies have now jumped on board and in some cases given us the choice of with or without.

I personally would like to see an interior for Chieftain and Challenger 1 and 2. No doubt this can be accessed from the RAC museum Bovington. Remember that they also have the sliced Centurion on display.

Of course Tamiya produced the 1/24 scale version many moons ago, so in reality it isn't a new trend.

Kit production continues to evolve, for that I am grateful.

Keith.
Removed by original poster on 05/17/19 - 11:25:45 (GMT).
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is all a personal preference. I love detailed interiors, esp. on APCs or other vehicles with large hatches. I am currently finishing up the MiniArt T-55 Mod 1963 with full interior. I am making it as an exploded view with the top of the hull and turret raised up so you can see all the details. You can check it out here.

Quoted Text

...when i have a kit with the interior i throw out all the parts relating to the interior...

The APC are the only ones I build with interiors execpt for the engine compartment

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The APC are the only ones I build with interiors execpt for the engine compartment

Why are you buying kits with interiors if you don't build interiors?
Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 03:40 AM UTC
I do like "full" or partial interior kits. I try to leave as much visible, as humanly possible, but i don't feel bad for covered stuff. Test fitting and checking how much is going to remain visible, saves time on painting and weathering other-vice invisible stuff.
Sometimes, it is a let down, as David pointed out, due to missing/wrong detail, but on the other hand, it allows spend some more time on research, and reading which i like to do. What is annoying however, is instructions (especially paint guides) on these kits. For some reason, it takes me few days to figure out correct (or at least likely correct) colors, names, function and layout of components, but kit manufacturers almost always fail the same task.
Anyways, main thing is how much we enjoy building the kit. I enjoyed ever single minute i spent building dragon Pz4. Cant say the same about Meng King Tiger with interior im working on now. And its not the interior itself to blame. I loved assembling Tristar Pz1 with interior (altho it has many faults, luckily, hidden after assembly).
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 04:18 AM UTC
Mixed feelings and I think the bottom line is, as always, personal preference, freedom of choice, and all that.
I'm building Bronco's Humber IV armored car, which essentially has a pretty full interior, and it does get to be a lot. My way of dealing with being overwhelmed is to be simultaneously building a much simpler kit at the same time so I can turn down the intensity level while still building.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

and another excuse fot the kit manufactures to jack up the price of a already expensive and overprices kit
interiors are not for me
when i have a kit with the interior i throw out all the parts relating to the interior

You don't happen to have one of Takom's panther kits, do you? Our new puppy chewed some interior bits and I've been having a heck of a time getting Takom to respond to my emails for replacement parts.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 04:53 AM UTC
mixed feelings on the subject; I've seen some amazing interiors at contests or on the internet. I built Tamiya's Sturmtiger and did the interior, leaving the upper hull loose so I could show it off; was actually kind of fun but I don't usually buy kits with interior parts; often include figures in hatches or around the vehicle; for open-topped vehicles I like the challenge of showing the details of their interiors; can add all kinds of cool details, etc. Like others have said it's a personal preference;
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 05:01 AM UTC
I've got the utmost respect for those who can do the interiors really well. I'm definitely not one of them though. I just prefer to do mine buttoned up.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 05:27 AM UTC
I buy them depending on if I have a good idea of a diorama that will make use of an interior. I have also bought some interior versions of tanks I already have to do cut-aways. There have been a couple of tanks that only had a version with an interior, such as the Marder III I am building right now. I used the part that was visible from the exterior (driver's compartment and transmission) and put the rest aside (engine and engine bay details) for other uses such as a repair scene.

All of my aircraft sit on shelves where it is difficult to see into the cockpit, but I assemble and paint all those parts anyway.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 05:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

interiors are not for me

You don't happen to have one of Takom's panther kits, do you? Our new puppy chewed some interior bits and I've been having a heck of a time getting Takom to respond to my emails for replacement parts.

I'm working on a 1/16 trumpeter T-72. No interior but it has some rubber tubing and rubber tire road wheels. I got a cat who will eat power cords, bike tires and handgrips and a weedeater. He got a hold of the tubing and chewed a couple inches of it and he managed to pull a rubber tire off the road wheel and made off with it with me right behind him I got him before he disappeared under a bed. The tire is fine just one little tooth mark and I can put that on the inside to hide it. The rubber tube? I've got plenty of stuff for scratch building, stuff probably more in scale.

As for interiors, I like building. I can get totally caught up building for hours. If I'm not gonna display it I just seal the hatches. If I'm going to show it off I'll leave the engine covers loose, or use small magnets to hold them in place. I'm planning to do that for my 1/16 trumpy pzIV, KT and Panther.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 06:19 AM UTC
My .02 worth....
I like that we now have the option to build a semi-accurate interior. David Byrden is right about kits in general. Companies go to museums to get their measurements and whatever else they need to design a kit. Armor pieces are generally restored with either missing and/or fabricated pieces. With that and molding technology limitations we end up close but not a 100% interior or even exteriors. I can live with that. To qualify the above statement, the only "full interior" kit I've ever built was the old Eduard Hetzer and it's pretty basic compared to The MiniArt T55 or the Ryefield Clear Panther I've yet to start.
Market economics dictates that manufacturers will keep making them if we keep buying them. Vote with your wallet !
emalewitz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 06:49 AM UTC
Do you remember the Bandai 1/48 scale armor kits with interiors? I loved them and would prefer to build them than any of the 1/35 monstrosities MiniArt, AFV Club have produced. They had enough interior to look realistic with hatches open, but few enough parts to actually get built. I find thousand part kits intimidating!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 07:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can make a repairing scene with the turret and/or engine cover removed, that will show a lot.

With the announcement of the coming of the Fries Gantry in styrene the possibilities for doing maintenance dios with turret and engine decks removed has suddenly grown exponentially.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 07:36 AM UTC
I can attest that AFV Club sent two gentlemen to the Patton Museum; Ft. Knox, KY. a few years back to create their digital masters for the new tooling on the Stuart models. They spent several weeks if not months measuring and using a laptop to create the digital files on the spot!

Kudos and a tip of the hat to AFV Club!
 _GOTOTOP