_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Opions please : Tamiya 1/25th Tiger I tank
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 03:55 AM UTC
I would like your opinions, pros and cons on the Tamiya 1/25th scale tiger 1 tank.
Is it a good model for its time?
Is it worth the money to buy it?
Since I've been looking for one, the prices have been ranging from $150-$400.
I know that it's an old 80s kit but is it a decent enough kit to buy at that price?
Are we just looking at it as a sentimental kit from our past?
Thank you.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 04:05 AM UTC
I have one but I've not built it.

It's slightly misshapen. Every part, to me, looks a slightly different shape or proportions to a real Tiger. If you were trying to make a fake Tiger photo using a model, this would be one of the worst ones to use.

The interior is laughably bad. Current interior kits of the Tiger are light years better than this.

David
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 05:41 AM UTC
That kit is from the early 70s. I bought it for $12.50 in my early teens and I'm almost 60 now. It has simplified detail and everything is over sized. It would take massive scratch building to make a decent kit. There was an old Shep Paine book where he did this and it looked great but the prices your quoting are absurd for that kit unless your a collector. It would be a challenging project for $50. There are much better kits than the 1/25 Tiger if you want to spend that much money.

Tom
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like your opinions, pros and cons on the Tamiya 1/25th scale tiger 1 tank.
Is it a good model for its time?
Is it worth the money to buy it?
Since I've been looking for one, the prices have been ranging from $150-$400.
I know that it's an old 80s kit but is it a decent enough kit to buy at that price?
Are we just looking at it as a sentimental kit from our past?
Thank you.

1980s?
No try 1969. It's nearly 50 years old. The Bandai 1/48 scale kit of similar vintage had a better interior.

TankSGT
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 05:44 AM UTC
Hey Bro!I was thinking of the era when I bought it. and $12 was alot of cash.

Tom
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 07:49 AM UTC
Ah the Tamiya 1/25 Tiger! I recall lusting after this beauty in my youth - with interior! However, that was a long time ago. Acquired one more recently, paid about $50 for it I think. Ya, the 'interior' is laughable by today's standards. The urge to build was strong, so it was OOB and closed up. Had a ball doing it too. Really fun build! Only replacement was swapping out the molded 'tow' cables and putting some detail under the rear grills . Looks impressive too to casual observers.

So yeah, don't pay too much, don't beat yourself up trying to fix it and treat it as a 'nostalgic' build. That's my 2 cents.
 _GOTOTOP