_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
BRDM 2 Questions
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 06:23 AM UTC
1. Does the DML BRDM 3 happen to still contain the parts for the 2, the turret and gun?

2. Is the Trumpeter BRDM 2 vastly better than the DML kit? My feeling is probably yes, as DML didn't even get the location of the winch hatch correct on the one I built two decades ago. I don't care about the interior - won't be seen.

3. And since you're already reading, anyone got a Trumpeter BRDM 2 (or possibly DML) they want to trade?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 06:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1. Does the DML BRDM 3 happen to still contain the parts for the 2, the turret and gun?

Looks like it doesn't :

https://www.super-hobby.fr/products/BRDM-3.html

But they have released a 2 in 1 BRDM kit (Cyber Hobby #9137):

Several reviews can be found online for the Trumpeter one(s) (early and late models) :

https://www.scalemates.com/products/reviews.php?scale=1%3A35&topic=BRDM-2

H.P.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 09:36 AM UTC
Hi;

"FYI"----These Kit's when they first came out were part of DMLs so called Soviet line, which included the BRDMs, BTRs, T-72 & T-80 line ! Which only the BRDMs and the BTRs worth the Effort as the T-72 and the T-80 series being of Poor Quality !! Now; Just to be fair to DML, at the Time of first release these were the Only game intown back then and the modern way of building things that we have today had not been invented yet.
As to the Question; Buy the Trumpeter offering, as there quality is not the problem ! With the DMLs you would have to replace the Wheels, and Gun to make them close to being Accurate !!!!
CHEERS; MIKE.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 10:11 AM UTC
H.P. - thanks for taking the time, but I've already seen that kit. It made me think that DML was trying to cash in on the fact that the BRDM 2 parts were indeed included in the BRDM 3 kit, and that a shrewd employee decided they could call it a 2 in 1 kit. So I was hopeful, as the BRDM 3 kit is far cheaper everywhere I look.

Mike, I hear you on the DML kits. When I built the BRDM 2 back in the day, I did indeed replace the gun with PE parts from Eduard. They spruced up the exhaust shrouds as well. Many of the other parts went unused. Biggest @$$pain was moving the winch hatch.
I'll just get the Trumpeter kit - they are the more trusted of the two names for me these days. Ive got a good line on super cheap Trumpeter kits, it just takes a lot longer to get them.

Thanks.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 10:52 AM UTC
I think the DML kits had workable hatch hinges that were more like forks, so right there the Trumpeter kit is going to save you a good bit of work.

I might have a turret left from an abandoned BRDM build.

KL
jasperck
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 11:54 AM UTC
The Trumpeter kit is vastly superior. Spend the extra $20 or so - it's so worth it.
That being said, I just finished an experiment where I found out if I could make a terrible kit built OOB look presentable with an adequate finish using the CyberHobby BRDM-3. I think I did okay.
 _GOTOTOP