_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Questions re: Dragon 6730 Tiger S04
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 05:10 AM UTC
Were the gun tube kill rings shown on the box art actually present on the real Tiger S04 while in operation, or was that just some propaganda gimmick painted on for the purpose of taking the photographs promoting Wittmann and his crew?

Don't think I've ever seen a Tiger or any Panzer photo with kill rings in that manner.

Also, did S04 with whitewash have Feifels attached in winter? Not sure I've ever seen a Tiger in winter whitewash that didn't have the Feifels removed.

Oh, lastly, who was the commander of this vehicle? Apparently it wasn't Wittmann.

Thanks!
Jim

Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 06:38 AM UTC
Well, we don't have lots of photos of this tank, but it seems probable that the rings were painted just for the photo shoot. Because those kills were not made by that Tiger.

The Feifels were attached in the photo. Probably they were simply left in place all the time.

We generally don't know the name of the commander of a Tiger, but in this case it would be the company commander.

David
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 07:45 AM UTC
Thanks, David.

I'm going to make the tank as it was in normal operation, prior to the whole Wittmann photo incident. So I won't put the kill rings on.

Thanks for clarification on the Feifels. Seems like they are almost always removed on winter tanks but I'd prefer them to be on anyway as they add a lot of visual interest.

Thanks,
Jim
 _GOTOTOP