_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
FV101 Scorpion
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hi all,
I'm building a kit of the FV101 Scorpion of Revell, 1/35 (AFV mould).

Looking and photos from the web, I've found an impressive variability of outer details:
the boxes on the sides of the hull and turret have many different configurations, often including two large rectangular boxes on the sides of the turret; the kit shows only a small box on the right side;
practically none photo shows the nearly cubical boxes included into the kit, to be glued on the sides of the stowage box behind the turret; the kit offers, as an alternative to these boxes, a wire reel (sorry if it isn't the right word) on the right side, as seen on other British tanks;
the front lights can appear both on higher and on lower position on photos of the real tank; the instructions sheet shows them below a sort of mudguard plate, but on a following page it shows them above it;
the kit includes two sets of front and rear wheels, one type for the Scorpion an another for the Scimitar; but I have seen photos of Scorpions, even in museums, with the wheels for the Scimitar;
the rear plate of the hull of the kit has a piece A2, a sort of A.shaped thing with a vertical hole, I suppose to push something; but many photos in museum show a different arrangement without these pieces and some rectangular vertical stripes welded on, not shown in the kit.

I don't know if you can understand well what I have tried to explain; probably the first answer will be 'look for photos of a particular tank and reproduce it'. This is fair.
The kit offers three choices of painting and decals:
1-Royal Hussars, Fallingbostel 1987, 02FD92 with back emblem with yellow 21, camouflaged with a green background with small black stripes;
2- RAF Field Regiment, Sennlager 1988, 49AT15, black and green camo;
3-Belgien, COMRECCE 1991, FTX 'Certain Shield', belgian 65127 with yellow triangles, black and green camo.

The kit doesn't explain differences in stowage etc. between these possibilities.
Now, is it possible to find some photos of the original tanks, or some other criteria to decide which storages and wheels are appropriate for at least one of these possibilities?

At the end, the lower plate of the hull seems without any detail and probably requires some filling. Is there any image of the lower plate that can help me to improve this part?

Thank you for any help.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 10:14 PM UTC
Massimo, it really all boils down to the setting and theater of operations you would like to depict your Scorpion in.

I did an Op Granby vehicle some time ago: link

You can use number of different upgrades and updates available for the kit. Check out the offerings here.

Mario
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 10:15 PM UTC
Massimo,

As far as I recall a decent (early version) can be built out of the box, but there are several Armorama members who actually crewed the vehicle itself and I'm sure they'll respond fairly soon. There are also a number of Scorpion accessories available which I further recall are not too expensive and again, I'm sure there will be pointers to these in due course.

Brian
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 02:54 AM UTC
Hi Mario

Quoted Text

I did an Op Granby vehicle some time ago: link

Excellent model indeed. If I have to buy or scratchbuild items, I would make a Philippine tank that has a beautiful camouflage.
But I hope to make things easy, use the decals of the box but not in blind way.
I would like to see photos of the vehicles listed on the box.

Hi Brian,

Quoted Text

As far as I recall a decent (early version) can be built out of the box, but there are several Armorama members who actually crewed the vehicle itself and I'm sure they'll respond fairly soon.

I hope that they will, and help me to understand the evolution of the stowaging or find photos of the tanks from the box or at least of the same timeframe.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 08:25 AM UTC
Scorpion, at least in British service, went through a few evolutions during its life. Initial examples lacked a searchlight, for example, and had solid hub idlers. The kit provides only the later spoked variety and a version of the solid one with oval holes which are very hard to fill cleanly (tried, failed).

The Messier dampers for the suspension are also late features so while they were there for Granby, they weren’t in 1982 for Corporate. The bustle bin and transmission covers also need some work.

Fortunately I think Mike Shackleton now makes a set of resin bits which should help you. I’ve not seen them first hand as I scratchbuilt the ones I nedddd for mine but if you don’t have a real one to examine the resin set is a better bet.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 09:13 AM UTC
Hi Robert,

Quoted Text

The kit provides only the later spoked variety and a version of the solid one with oval holes which are very hard to fill cleanly (tried, failed).

my model has already the searchlight, I woudn't remove it.
Are the spoked wheels (those for Scimitar) suitable for vehicles utilized in 1987/91 timeframe?

Quoted Text

The Messier dampers for the suspension are also late features so while they were there for Granby, they weren’t in 1982 for Corporate.

What were Granby and Corporate?

Substantially, I need images of the vehicles of the decals sheet before deciding about aftermarket items.

Regards
Massimo
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 09:44 AM UTC
Addressing the finer details of the actual vehicle depicted by their markings is immaterial to most manufacturers.

Like any vehicle that has a long service history, the Scorpions have had numerous changes made to them during their operation lives. As said previously, you need to determine what time period and location you want to depict your vehicle in. Then research vehicles from that era.

To answer some of your questions:
The Earlier CVR(T) were equipped with wading screens that could be raised ala Duplex Drive Sherman tanks. These were fitted to the channel that extends out from the hull. The vehicle lights were mounted below the front part of channel when fitted. Screens were later removed from existing vehicles, allowing larger lights to be fitted inside hoods on top of the screen mount.

Stowage on vehicles was often supplemented or replaced from stowage boxes taken from vehicles retired from service, the Cheiftan tank being one. There was no set plan for this, crews just doing whatever they could. This is why there are so many variations.

AFV Club give you 'Early' and 'Late' idlers and sprockets, but the front Panel is not an early bolted one and the early idler was actually a solid piece.

I suggest that depending on what you want to do, you consider what Hong Kong Creation Workshop offers you for replacement parts. I have not bought any myself, nor am I affiliated with them, I am just aware of what they offer.

https://www.facebook.com/HKCreationWorkshop/photos/a.436171436403894/1073905069297191/?type=3&theater

Perhaps a quick look at the 'spotlight' on CVR(T) here will give you some help in selecting what you want to do

https://www.scorpion-miniature-models.co.uk/the-falklands-war

Edit
Granby refers to Operation Granby - The British name for Desert Shield in 1991.
Corporate refers to Operation Corporate, the liberation of the Falklands in 1982
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 10:31 AM UTC
Back in the 80's & early 90's my regiments recce troop was equipped with 8 Scorpions. If I remember rightly there was a mix of both solid and spoked idler wheels on the vehicles as the older solid wheels were replaced with newer spoked ones. I personally have never seen a Scorpion with the headlights above the sponson plate, always below but there are pictures out there with the newer larger lights fitted.

The A shaped piece on the rear with the vertical hole would be the towing point. Typically there would be a 10ton shackle attached here to enable the vehicle to recover another short distances using tow ropes.

As perbat stated crews used whatever bins could be had. As we were a Chieftain MBT unit there were plenty to be had and typically two square Chieftian bins would be fitted to the rear of the turret bin whilst a long bin would be fitted down the right hand hull sponson plate.

I used some bits & pieces from Scorpion Miniature Models which were spot on on my Scimitar and they have some good Scorpion poeces too. You can see my build here.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/267043
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 05:22 PM UTC
Hi Peter,

Quoted Text

To answer some of your questions:
The Earlier CVR(T) were equipped with wading screens that could be raised ala Duplex Drive Sherman tanks. These were fitted to the channel that extends out from the hull. The vehicle lights were mounted below the front part of channel when fitted. Screens were later removed from existing vehicles, allowing larger lights to be fitted inside hoods on top of the screen mount.

Stowage on vehicles was often supplemented or replaced from stowage boxes taken from vehicles retired from service, the Cheiftan tank being one. There was no set plan for this, crews just doing whatever they could. This is why there are so many variations.

AFV Club give you 'Early' and 'Late' idlers and sprockets, but the front Panel is not an early bolted one and the early idler was actually a solid piece.

So, the early return rollers shouldn't have any hole, while the piece of the kit has four oval ones. I would be glad to find a tank that had both the front and rear wheels of the lightened type that the kit prevides for Scimitar, also because I made slight damages to the teeth of the 'heavy' wheel.
So, the front panel of the kit is a late type.

Hi Max,

Quoted Text

If I remember rightly there was a mix of both solid and spoked idler wheels on the vehicles as the older solid wheels were replaced with newer spoked ones.

Interesting, so if I use late wheels, this is credible unless differently proven.

Quoted Text

The A shaped piece on the rear with the vertical hole would be the towing point. Typically there would be a 10ton shackle attached here to enable the vehicle to recover another short distances using tow ropes.

I've seen photos of vehicles without this piece and different configuration of the rear plate. Is this a later version, a later modification or what else?
That piece was a victim of the carpet's monster (let's give him the fault), so I have to scratcbuild it and I would be happy if I can avoid this.

Quoted Text

As perbat stated crews used whatever bins could be had. As we were a Chieftain MBT unit there were plenty to be had and typically two square Chieftian bins would be fitted to the rear of the turret bin whilst a long bin would be fitted down the right hand hull sponson plate.

Two nearly cubical boxes are included in the kit, I think that thy are the same. Eventually, I have a Chieftain that could be cannibalized.
Are the large boxes on the turret sides from a Chieftain too?

Quoted Text

I used some bits & pieces from Scorpion Miniature Models which were spot on on my Scimitar and they have some good Scorpion poeces too. You can see my build here.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/267043

Excellent kit so far. Are you projecting to use the tracks of the kit?
Another question: I see that, where the large box on the right side of the hull is not installed, there are two large tools locked on the plate. What are they? Are they inserted into the box when it is installed?

I've found a walkaround of a Belgian Scorpion that looks close enough to the one of the decals sheet

https://www.net-maquettes.com/fr/pictures/cvrt-fv101-scorpion-walkaround/

it could be a candidate (even if it has early rear wheel without holes and with the towing device), but I would prefer to find photos of the one of the Royal Hussars in 1987.

What is the best way to anneal the grille over the exhaust tube before bending it? Heating it on the kitchen's fire and let it cool in air?

Regards
Massimo
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 07:49 PM UTC
As I recall, the two tools on the right of the hull are a track tensioning bar and a spare antenna section container. I think the latter was fitted to the top of the bin when that was fitted there but as I was building a 1982 example I didn’t pay too much attention to the later fit.

Fixing the front decks (bolted not hinged on British Army Scorpions) will deal with one of the most obvious differences. I think the Belgian wagons may have had hinged decks though. If you do need to change it, remove the front section of deck, leaving a ledge to rest the bolted one on, separate the grilles from the plate, make up a new panel from thin styrene with apertures for the grilles and then fit the large ones from below. Add bolt heads and install. Remove the hinge detail from the original rear deck too.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 03:17 AM UTC
The transmission cover should be bolt on, you can get a resin one from Scorpion Miniature Models for the princely sum of £2,

https://www.scorpion-miniature-models.co.uk/product-page/smm-cvr-t-early-bolted-transmission-cover

the different rear plate you have come across is so you can fit a towing pintle and either tow a trailer, which I have never seen done or use an A frame towing system which you can see in the following link. Not all vehicles have this however.

https://www.scorpion-miniature-models.co.uk/product-page/scorpoion-scimitar-acessory-set

The hatches, barrel and tow ropes are worth getting from SMM also as they really improve on the model. Just to mention I am not affiliated with SMM in any way, just find the items excellently priced, well cast with excellent customer service. They also stock AFV club indi link tracks cheaper than anywhere else.

Any flame should let you anneal the exhaust mesh as long as it is hot enough, let it cool naturally and then use a pencil to roll it.

zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen photos of vehicles without this piece and different configuration of the rear plate. Is this a later version, a later modification or what else?
That piece was a victim of the carpet's monster (let's give him the fault), so I have to scratcbuild it and I would be happy if I can avoid ght hand hull sponson plate.

Let me know if you need part A2. I have it left over from a build. PM me your adress if you need it.

Cheers,
/E
mshackleton
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 559 posts
Armorama: 517 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 05:10 AM UTC
Scorpion went through quite a few changes during its career - Scimitar even more. If you go to my Scorpion Miniature Models website, you will find a blog that explains those differences - plus parts to correct the AFV Club kit which is a bit of a mixture of later features more often found on Scimitar.
https://www.scorpion-miniature-models.co.uk/single-post/2016/02/24/Different-Modifications-for-Scorpion
I need to do a similar blog for Scimitar.
mshackleton
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 05:21 AM UTC
Also, with my Trackpad hat on, I have two books detailing Belgian CVRTs which were very, very similar to their British cousins. In fact, there are very few differences between Belgian and UK early Scorpions, and Part 1 goes into some depth discussing this.
https://www.trackpadpublishing.com/belgian-cvrt-family
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 09:36 AM UTC
Hi all,
thank you for your informations and suggestions,

I think to have started to make some order in my ideas.
Some possibilities:

Belgian ones have bolted cover of transmission, and solid rear wheels that the kit reproduces with unappropriate holes difficult to fill with the due precision, and in general very poorly resembling. I should omit some stowage and scratchbuilt the curved tube for antennas parts on the left side.

RAF one has (the one in museum, at least) the hinged cover of trasmission, large light with protections, boxes aside the turret, late tipe rear plate of hull, late type front and rear wheels that are well reproduced in the kit.
(now I suspect that hinged front plate and late rear plate are connected and can be found on the same tanks, that is not what we find on this kit)

Probably the tank of Hussars had some early characteristics (wheels, bolted plate, 3 tube smoke dischargers) and is more work-requiring.

Irish tank has hinged plate, late wheels and would require minimal modifications (probably the rear plate). Only, I have to arrange decals in some ways. At present time I have only one or two photos of it.

NZ has very nice camouflage, early wheels, hinged plate, probably late rear plate, boxes on the sides of the turret, decals to arrange.

Kenyan ones have early front and rear wheels, hinged plates, boxes on the side of the turret, strange boxes on the hull, decals to arrange, nice camouflage.
Photos of a destroyed one with late wheels do exist (but no camouflage).

I have photos of one with Arab markings (Jordanian?), sand and brick red camo, late type wheels and plates, and a strange support for a MG on the turret. Unfortunately decals are very hard to arrange.

Are the large boxes on the sides of the turret available on the Scimitar or in some more recent edition of the AFV Scorpion?
I see that they can be found in a photoetched set. Eventually I have to consider to scratchbuild them.

On the whole, the Irish one seems the easiest way, if I manage to find appropriate decals.

Quoted Text

Scorpion went through quite a few changes during its career - Scimitar even more. If you go to my Scorpion Miniature Models website, you will find a blog that explains those differences - plus parts to correct the AFV Club kit which is a bit of a mixture of later features more often found on Scimitar.
https://www.scorpion-miniature-models.co.uk/single-post/2016/02/24/Different-Modifications-for-Scorpion

Excellent, very clear and useful

Hi Erik,

Quoted Text

Let me know if you need part A2. I have it left over from a build. PM me your adress if you need it.

Very kind of you! I'll think about this, if I will backdate the trasmission plate (and piece A2 will be useful) or if I'll update the rear one (and the piece won't be necessary).
Eventually I'll contact you by PM.

Any suggestion how to find decals for Irish, NZ or Philippines armies?

Best regards to all
Massimo
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 08:05 PM UTC
Here we go Massimo for NZ Scorpions.
Check out https://www.oldmodelsdecals.com/NZ-Military.html

Decals. Not tied up with business, For research only.
Please read info regards decals etc on site. From my experience good quality.

Check this out for modelling the NZ Scorpion
http://www.kiwimodeller.com/~kmodel/index.php/forum/6-armour-modelling/20737-nz-army-scorpion
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 08:14 PM UTC
Sorry, now I remember that the curved affair on the right side of the hull is a deep wading extension for the exhaust. The antenna stowage tube is straight (looks like the same part as fitted across the front of a Ferret).

The RAF Regt received later build vehicles with the hinged deck whereas the (British) Army ones had bolted decks.
mshackleton
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 08:43 PM UTC
Foreign Scorpion decals will be available in the New Year. I cannot say more than that at the moment.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 09:16 PM UTC
Hi all,

Very good topic full of photos. I see that some (few) of the NZ tanks had lightened rear wheels, that is good.
The photos of the NZ M-41 with the same camouflage is amazing, it looks a giant when seen close to a Scorpion.
Only, I have already glued the thing (thermal camera?) on the hood, and I have to remove it if I choose this version.

Quoted Text

Sorry, now I remember that the curved affair on the right side of the hull is a deep wading extension for the exhaust. The antenna stowage tube is straight (looks like the same part as fitted across the front of a Ferret).

The RAF Regt received later build vehicles with the hinged deck whereas the (British) Army ones had bolted decks.

I fear that the deck and the rear plate of the kit are uncompatible, one has to choose which one has to be changed.

Quoted Text

Foreign Scorpion decals will be available in the New Year. I cannot say more than that at the moment.

Interesting. I am not in a hurry to finish it, I usually assemble 4-5 models during the winter in my hope, with limonene glue, and make all dirty works during the mild season in my attic that can be ventilated. So the model will be completed on next summer.

Going for exclusion, if the cubic boxes aside the rear turret bin arent' for RAF nor Belgian one, they can be only for the Lancers one, as the cable roll atteched on the rear, with bolted deck and three tube smoke dischargers.

Best regards
Massimo
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 04:31 AM UTC
I seem to recall that the supplied cable reel doesn’t fit as it was too large (in diameter), at least compared to the one I measured at the time. The front of the rear bin is also angled in at the wrong angle so I had to change mine to match photos. That issue also makes the reel harder to fit. Those rivets on the turret rear bin are also huge so better replaced. These days I’d use Archer ones but they weren’t available when I was working on mine.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 05:24 AM UTC
The RH Scorpion 02 FD 92 is in Concord's Scorpion and the CVR(T ) Family with the bolted deck and 3 barrel smoke launchers. Also long Chieftain bins on both sides of hull and some odd bin on the front.
The cable reel is attached to the back of one of the rectangular bins on either side of the rectangular turret bin.

I think the RAF one would be easier as the Belgian Scorpion often still had the wading screens attached and/or had a number of ammo containers bolted around the hull and turret.

I've got a couple of DoD pics of a Scorpion guarding an airfield that might be helpful.

Paul
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi all,

Quoted Text

The front of the rear bin is also angled in at the wrong angle so I had to change mine to match photos.

The one behind the turret you mean?

Quoted Text

The RH Scorpion 02 FD 92 is in Concord's Scorpion and the CVR(T ) Family with the bolted deck and 3 barrel smoke launchers. Also long Chieftain bins on both sides of hull and some odd bin on the front.
The cable reel is attached to the back of one of the rectangular bins on either side of the rectangular turret bin.

I think the RAF one would be easier as the Belgian Scorpion often still had the wading screens attached and/or had a number of ammo containers bolted around the hull and turret.

Interesting about the 02FD92. Some work though.

I haven't seen strange boxes on the photos of Belgian ones I have.

Unfortunately I have discovered that the thermal camera aside the gun is absent on all the photos of Irish, Philippinean and NZ ones. Now, I've already glued it into place, and it is a strong gluing.
So, RAF, Kenyan options are still into consideration, but they have boxes to scratchbuild. Jordanian would be good too, if I find decals.

Regards
Massimo
mshackleton
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 04:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I need to do a similar blog for Scimitar.

I have modified the website page to be easier to find and also introduced a similar article about modifiacations to Scimitar. They are both here: https://www.scorpion-miniature-models.co.uk/modelling-tips
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hi,
excellent pages indeed.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 06:56 PM UTC
For the RAF one I could spare a set of turret side boxes that are photo etch metal.

If you are missing A2 then you are very close to this rear hull of a RAF. It has the later version which is the mounting points for the drawbar pintle which isn't always mounted.
http://data3.primeportal.net/apc/robert_de_craecker/cvr-t_scorpion_fv101/images/cvr-t_scorpion_fv101_15_of_26.jpg

Plus adding a tube for the antenna seen here:
http://data3.primeportal.net/apc/robert_de_craecker/cvr-t_scorpion_fv101/images/cvr-t_scorpion_fv101_22_of_26.jpg

That is all that would have to be done since RAF vehicles didn't have a lot of extra stowage.
 _GOTOTOP