_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Panzer IV Ausf. G from Border Models Coming
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 05:25 AM UTC
Couldn't find a thread on this and just discovered this news last night.

A company called "Border Models" is to release a 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf. G 2-in-1 kit for mid/late variants. Looks to have some very interesting details.

Hobby Search in Japan is taking pre-orders, they say it will be released in January 2019. Price is 5,270 Yen, or $46.67 US.

Here's a link to the kit description.

https://www.how-amps.org/border-model-pzkpwiv-ausfg-midlate/
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 06:02 AM UTC
I feel like I heard about this a while back, and someone thought Takom was involved because of the similar art and packaging style.

If more people start bringing out the other panzer types then it may signal the end of Dragon as the new Tigers and Panthers (from Takom, Meng, etc) are proving as good or better in detail/production values plus a better cash value than Dragon is these days.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 06:07 AM UTC
Wow..this kit is awesome. I'm getting it!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 07:04 AM UTC
There is an older thread about this model. It does look very good, and if it is as good as it looks, it will be worth getting.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I feel like I heard about this a while back, and someone thought Takom was involved because of the similar art and packaging style.

Multiple companies have the same boxart artist actually.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 09:54 AM UTC
I don't usually buy my kits from manufacturers that can't use the proper terminology.

What the heck is an "Inducer wheel"?
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 10:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't usually buy my kits from manufacturers that can't use the proper terminology.

What the heck is an "Inducer wheel"?

That product bulletin I linked is filled with what is obviously a bad trasnslation. I wouldn't hold it against them. My Chinese isn't very good either.

I think they are talking about the Idlers, but it doesn't really matter.

Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 12:14 PM UTC
Looks like a good kit.👍
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 01:24 PM UTC
This was announced as a Takom release a couple of years ago. It was a gag then and still appears to be.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 03:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This was announced as a Takom release a couple of years ago. It was a gag then and still appears to be.

I'm not sure it's a gag. Hobby Search has it on pre-order. Would they want to do that if it was just as a gag? We'll know in January.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm not sure it's a gag. Hobby Search has it on pre-order. Would they want to do that if it was just as a gag? We'll know in January.

I may have to buy one, despite a somewhat snarky reply.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 07:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No snarkyness was intended. I thought you heard/saw something I did not.
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No snarkyness was intended. I thought you heard/saw something I did not.

As has been mentioned, Hobby Search is taking pre-orders for this kit and it's been reviewed at another website.

The "gag" a while ago was that this project was coming from Takom, which it is not.

Pretty sure we'll see it in the new year. Looks to be yet another good company entering the armor scene.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10575165
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 03:50 PM UTC
Border Models is the producer of said kit and they have been around for a while as a manufacturer of modeling tools. The real gag is that their release announcement is calling this the dragonslayer which is a not so subtle hint at what competition they are targeting.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 10:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Border Models is the producer of said kit and they have been around for a while as a manufacturer of modeling tools. The real gag is that their release announcement is calling this the dragonslayer which is a not so subtle hint at what competition they are targeting.

Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I haven't bought a Dragon kit in years. I think it was right about the time they started thinking their kits were made of gold and they started pricing them accordingly. I will only buy DML if they are on sale somewhere. The Orange Box kits are reasonable.

I hope this Border Models kit is well manufactured and a good value. I wouldn't mind building a nice Pz. Kpfw. IV.
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 - 09:03 AM UTC
Just noticed this kit is also available as a pre-order at HLJ.com.

Pretty sure this isn't some sort of hoax. I'll get one for sure and I'm looking forward to it!

https://hlj.com/1-35-scale-pz-kpfw-iv-ausf-g-mid-late-bdmbt001
Northern_Lad
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 462 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 - 11:35 AM UTC
Possibly showing my ignorance, this looks like an ausf h to me.... I guess the differences between the late g and the h were pretty minimal...
Cheers
Matthew
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Possibly showing my ignorance, this looks like an ausf h to me.... I guess the differences between the late g and the h were pretty minimal...
Cheers
Matthew

The only, initial, difference between the late G and the early H was an upgraded final drive and reinforced turret roof plates. Otherwise, it's just a contract change. The Ausf. G was the 8./B.W. series contract and the Ausf. H was the 9./B.W. series contract.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2018 - 01:10 AM UTC
I've been pretty much, exclusively, a Cold War/Middle East builder that last 20 years, but this kit could very well alter my thinking. This kit might be some of the best detailing I've seen in a kit in quite some time.
buonon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 11:44 AM UTC
One thing I will say for DML, though: I have an insane amount of spare Panzer IV parts thanks to their chronic recycling of sprues for new kits.

Still pretty excited about any new tool PzIV.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 12:41 PM UTC
It's out, mine has already shipped. Looks like a real decent kit with good value. Lots of metal goodies and all the plastic parts should you wish not to use PE. Lots of goodies to dress up older panzer IVs in your stash!

*For those unaware, Border has been around for a while but only making brushes and tools.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 01:56 PM UTC
Received the kit today. My initial impression is very good. Everything is crisply molded with good detail. Build log to come.

G
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 02:17 PM UTC
I already have a kit of all but the Ausf B, but I could use a replacement for my old Tamiya Ausf D.

And even then the Pz IV is like many aircraft (P-51, Bf 109, P-47, etc.): lots of camo schemes and variations to model. If they expand the line and the quality holds I could be enticed to buy some potential DAK and winter builds to go with my ETO and Italian Campaign stuff. Especially since Dragon is OOS on all their old inventory and they only have a couple of current Pz IVs available. They have left a stupidly large amount of shelf space open for a competitor to step in, and noone seemed to be rising up except for the easy stuff like Panthers and Tigers. I wish Zvezda (or someone) could take over the softskin/APC market from Dragon as well.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 03:54 PM UTC
i got mine from china ebay...
 _GOTOTOP